Thanksgiving on HAL

abb4k

Recognizing that November and early December tend to be off-peak times to cruise, do HAL ships generally still sail full during Thanksgiving week? Or is it so off-peak as to generally leave the ships sailing at less than full capacity?

We are noticing a LOT of empty cabins for our cruise that week.

Recognizing that November and early December tend to be off-peak times to cruise, do HAL ships generally still sail full during Thanksgiving week? Or is it so off-peak as to generally leave the ships sailing at less than full capacity?

We are noticing a LOT of empty cabins for our cruise that week.

It's still early. We took the Thanksgiving Zuiderdam cruise last year, and sailed full. Those traveling with families may wait 'til the last minute to catch a sale, and after HAL moves all the GTY rez, there'll be a sale to fill the rest.

It was our best ever cruise!

We sailed over American thanksgiving last year on the Ryndam. The ship was full. Lots of families, most of the quads and triples were full to capacity too. It'll take something very special to get me to sail over that week again.

We sailed on Thanksgiving and several spring breaks on HAL ships, and those children were nearly invisible. I don't know if it was the HAL's youth program or responsible parenting, but we were not bothered by kids at all. Now on our CCL and RCI cruises...

stressed-mom-75.jpg

Well, I think it's pretty great that you don't have to stuff the turkey. Although, actually that's something I do like to do. Giblet stuffing, the best! How is the turkey on HAL? Is their stuffing any good? Or is it too salty?

We sailed on Thanksgiving and several spring breaks on HAL ships, and those children were nearly invisible. I don't know if it was the HAL's youth program or responsible parenting, but we were not bothered by kids at all. Now on our CCL and RCI cruises...

Actually, Candy, if you re-read my post, I did not reference any issues with children.

We have spent several Turkey days on HAL. Luckily they have fallen during long cruises so the children question was moot. Their stuffing is wonderul. I love good stuffing and I was quite surprised by theirs. Nuts and apples I think. The bird was moist and tender. The cranberry sauce lacked something though. The pumpkin cheescake was pretty darn good too now that I think of it. Dam, I'm hungry now!

Thank you for that info. That sounds like a blast. I don't think I'd get away with going away for that holiday though. My house is kind of a magnet for family members for those holidays.................but it's fun too.

We did the Eurodam one week Thanksgiving cruise last Thanksgiving and liked it so much, we are going again this Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving falls on the second formal night, which is also Lobster night, so we get a plate of turkey for the table.

We have done Thanksgiving on HAL twice and are doing it again this year:D The first time was a 10 day cruise and there were quite a few kids, but all well behaved. The second time was a 7 day back to back booking. Week one...no kids. Week two (the week Thanksgiving fell) TONS of kids and it was insane. THe weather was bad, the pools were closed and the kids were bored.

This year is a 15 day itinerary, so I am hoping for a more sedate Holiday. As for the food, it was OK. I think the second Thanksgiving onboard, I opted for a steak instead of the turkey dinner. I did get pumpkin cheesecake and it is awesome. Our waiter was of the impression that brussel sprouts were an American Thanksgiving staple and wanted to bring us loads of them. :eek: I had to explain that it might be in some houses, but not mine!

JB

It's still early. We took the Thanksgiving Zuiderdam cruise last year, and sailed full. Those traveling with families may wait 'til the last minute to catch a sale, and after HAL moves all the GTY rez, there'll be a sale to fill the rest.

It was our best ever cruise!

Glad to hear it was such a great cruise. Do you think the sale will result in dramatically cheaper prices, or just a little less than now? Just curious, we're going either way, thanks!

Glad to hear it was such a great cruise. Do you think the sale will result in dramatically cheaper prices, or just a little less than now? Just curious, we're going either way, thanks!

HAL will do whatever it takes (within reason) to fill the ship. It's easier to sell the lower cat cabins at a lower price than the balconies at a lower price, so they will offer upsells to those who have assigned cabins, and sell the basement bunks cheap. It's hard to say whether the savings will be a little or a lot... it depends on the demand. The promotions are largely regional, as those who can drive to the port are more flexible than someone who needs expensive last-minute flights.

I've heard of one line (not HAL) that will offer 'children sail free' at the last minute :eek:, and that will usually fill up the ship.

We sailed over American thanksgiving last year on the Ryndam. The ship was full. Lots of families, most of the quads and triples were full to capacity too. It'll take something very special to get me to sail over that week again.
Actually, Candy, if you re-read my post, I did not reference any issues with children.
I apologize... when families, quads and triples are mentioned in the same sentence, I picture those families having children. You must have been upset with all the adult families.

Last cruise over thanksgiving on Oosterdam 2007. Ship was over booked by almost 300 extra kids. I love children, but were talking more little one's than a disney resort on forth of July. The staff was overwhelmed. We sailed to Mexico out of San Diego and the only swimming that someone over 13 could do was in port in the ocean. Thanksgiving dinner was great. But order the prime rib. Turkey was served @ 9:30 and pumpkin pie @ 11 pm. By then most little one's were asleep in there chairs. Best part was a group of little boy's who found riding the outside elevators while standing on the hand rails all day long.

I've heard of one line (not HAL) that will offer 'children sail free' at the last minute :eek:, and that will usually fill up the ship.

The HAL western Caribbean cruise we took last year was $99 for our daughter. We didn't even book last minute -- eight months in advance, as I recall.

For this Thanksgiving cruise, I think she is $399, which is still incredibly fair.

• 3 weeks later...

This thread made me think about the origins of Thanksgiving and our forebears who first celebrated it...after the awful journey of the Mayflower and the sickness...HAL sure beats that! Much to be thankful for, if you're able to be on a cruise during the Thanksgiving holiday...regardless of who's onboard!

Our kids' school has T-day week off this year...had we been planning better I'd have suggested ditching the in-laws & heading to the port, but we can't get reasonable flights this late. That said, DW was intrigued by the idea for the future.

Archived