QUEEN VICTORIA v SEABOURN ODYSSEY

Topsham

I have two friends sailing in Seabourn Odyssey in the Med. They were with me in Queen Victoria last July on a Baltic cruise.

Jeni had this to say....

"Seabourn Odyssey is no Seabourn 'yacht', She is just another cruise ship. The food and service is good but no where near as good as we enjoyed in Queen's Grill last summer."

Stephen

I have two friends sailing in Seabourn Odyssey in the Med. They were with me in Queen Victoria last July on a Baltic cruise.

Jeni had this to say....

"Seabourn Odyssey is no Seabourn 'yacht', She is just another cruise ship. The food and service is good but no where near as good as we enjoyed in Queen's Grill last summer."

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Hope all is well over there in Bermuda.

Have never sailed with Seabourn, so can't comment on that.

We did however enjoy a lovely cruise on Queen Victoria in May.

We were in QG too and have to say that we couldn't fault it. A tad disappointed with our Q6 cabin, but Queens Grill more than made up for it.

Andrew Nelder, the senior MD was absolutely first class and a pro to the T.

Although Queen Mary 2 is our favourite ship, l would most certainly not hesitate to sail on Queen Victoria again.

Jackie :)

Hi Stephen,

Hope all is well over there in Bermuda.

Have never sailed with Seabourn, so can't comment on that.

We did however enjoy a lovely cruise on Queen Victoria in May.

We were in QG too and have to say that we couldn't fault it. A tad disappointed with our Q6 cabin, but Queens Grill more than made up for it.

Andrew Nelder, the senior MD was absolutely first class and a pro to the T.

Although Queen Mary 2 is our favourite ship, l would most certainly not hesitate to sail on Queen Victoria again.

Jackie :)

Jackie,

All is well in Bermuda. A great summer!

I was looking forward to being back on VICTORIA in October but my reservation was completely messed up by some 'person':mad:.... "..... your Q3 cabin was unfortunately given to someone else so we have booked you in a Britannia cabin." WHAT!:mad:

So... it will now be January 2011, Southampton to New York. :cool:

Yes,. I like VICTORIA very much. As you say, QG is faultless and I really like the rest of the ship too.

Stephen

The headline on this post is misleading and should read Queen Victoria Queens Grill vs. Seabourn. On Seabourn all passengers are treated the same. On QV they are not and the experience in QG is quite different from Britannia. Although I have not sailed on QV I have sailed many times on QE2 and QM2, always in a Grill cabin, and I can unequivocally state the the Odyssey is not just another cruise ship and compares more than favorably with my experiences on Cunard. Of course, everyone has his own opinion.

I have not sailed QV yet but to compare Seabourn Odyessey to QV is a bit of a stretch.....I like CUNARD...but at this time we are concerned with overall quality of a cruise...and Seabourn delivers...comparing similar cruises I would pick Seabourn...fewer passengers - open sitting restaurants....

I really enjoyed the 13 days in QM2 & plan to go back....but there were some serious service issues onboard......

Oh a smaller ship w/ less than 500 passengers.........

QV is of her time - Odyessey is an extension of what is truly wonderful of sailing on a ship from years ago - just updated......

We'll be in Bermuda in a couplke of weeks.......

Cheers

The headline on this post is misleading and should read Queen Victoria Queens Grill vs. Seabourn. On Seabourn all passengers are treated the same. On QV they are not and the experience in QG is quite different from Britannia. Although I have not sailed on QV I have sailed many times on QE2 and QM2, always in a Grill cabin, and I can unequivocally state the the Odyssey is not just another cruise ship and compares more than favorably with my experiences on Cunard. Of course, everyone has his own opinion.

Have you sailed in the Odyssey?

I have not sailed QV yet but to compare Seabourn Odyessey to QV is a bit of a stretch.....I like CUNARD...but at this time we are concerned with overall quality of a cruise...and Seabourn delivers...comparing similar cruises I would pick Seabourn...fewer passengers - open sitting restaurants....

I really enjoyed the 13 days in QM2 & plan to go back....but there were some serious service issues onboard......

Oh a smaller ship w/ less than 500 passengers.........

QV is of her time - Odyessey is an extension of what is truly wonderful of sailing on a ship from years ago - just updated......

We'll be in Bermuda in a couplke of weeks.......

Cheers

Ah, but my friends only said that the food and service was not up to the standard of QV Queen's Grill.

And their comment 'the Odyssey is just aanother cruise ships' should be taken to mean that the ship does not posess the same 'yacht like' feel that the other Seabourn ships have.

At 500 passengers the ship is definitely no yacht. Same problem several years ago when Royal Viking Sun became Seabourn Sun. Too big.

Are you flying down to Bda or cruising?

Stephen

Yes, I have sailed on the Odyssey, on the maiden voyage.

First of all, she carries 450, not 500 passengers and weighs in at 32,500 tons, giving a passenger space ration of 72.25, much more than QV. Of course, she is larger than the triplets and technically does not have the same yacht feel but she is so cleverly designed that there is always a place to go to get the feeling of a yacht with many small and intimate outdoor areas for lounging, sunbathing, and just plain getting away. The service is far better overall, much more intimate. Food is a subjective thing and as I said I have not sailed on QV but have in QG on QE2 and QM2. I found the food to be every bit as good on Seabourn. Plus if you want caviar you can have it not only at your table but anywhere on the ship anytime including at the pool. And not having to sign for every coke, bottle of water not to mention wine and alcohol makes all the difference in the world.

This is not to denigrate QV or Cunard but on Seabourn everyone gets treated the same way, luxuriously, not just those in QG.

Yes, I have sailed on the Odyssey, on the maiden voyage.

First of all, she carries 450, not 500 passengers and weighs in at 32,500 tons, giving a passenger space ration of 72.25, much more than QV. Of course, she is larger than the triplets and technically does not have the same yacht feel but she is so cleverly designed that there is always a place to go to get the feeling of a yacht with many small and intimate outdoor areas for lounging, sunbathing, and just plain getting away. The service is far better overall, much more intimate. Food is a subjective thing and as I said I have not sailed on QV but have in QG on QE2 and QM2. I found the food to be every bit as good on Seabourn. Plus if you want caviar you can have it not only at your table but anywhere on the ship anytime including at the pool. And not having to sign for every coke, bottle of water not to mention wine and alcohol makes all the difference in the world.

This is not to denigrate QV or Cunard but on Seabourn everyone gets treated the same way, luxuriously, not just those in QG.

I was passing on comments from friends who are on board the ship and who have sailed Queen's Grill on QV. We all know what Seabourn offers and what Cunard offers. My friends prefer Victoria's Queens Grill to Seabourn Odyssey. That is what they said.

Of course you cannot compare Seabourn to Britannia grade on Cunard ships. Comparison of cruise fares alone would make ity obvious.

Stephen

Stephen,

Of course everyone has a different take on things and that is why it's great that we have so many options. Personally, I have only done crossings on Cunard ships. I would never take a cruise with 2000 or 2600 people since I don't want to have to worry about embarking and disembarking with that many others every time you get to a port. I'm glad your friend has found a ship he loves.

We have a Q6 reservation on the QM2 and are wondering if it will be worth the money. We have been on the ship before but in a balcony room, dining in the Britannia. We need advice!

My husband feels that we will be dining alone in the Queen's Grill and will just have each other to talk to (which is fine, but we enjoy a large table on a cruise and the ensuing conversation).

The bar set-up sounds nice, but I know that in the bar and dining room wine is an extra cost.

Would we be better off going on Seabourn or Crystal or another high-end line? (Please suggest any you rank superb and also any specific ships.)

We have cruised at least 100 times, but almost always on the Princess and Royal Caribbean lines. I certainly rank the food on Cunard better than these two lines.

I understand one can order anything in the Queen's Grill whether it be on the menu or not. Can a person do that on Seabourn or Crystal?

I was quite surprised that Cunard does not offer priority tendering for Q5,6,7.

I can't recall if she just told me Q3 and up or Q4 and up.

The itinerary is the Caribbean and we have done that many times, so I have really booked just the QG experience.

Any thoughts???????

Stephen,

Of course everyone has a different take on things and that is why it's great that we have so many options. Personally, I have only done crossings on Cunard ships. I would never take a cruise with 2000 or 2600 people since I don't want to have to worry about embarking and disembarking with that many others every time you get to a port. I'm glad your friend has found a ship he loves.

My friends love Seabourn!!!! They are regulars and that is why I was quite taken aback that they considered QUEEN VICTORIA to be superior to the Odyssey. They are home in a couple of weeks. I'll get the full story then.

QM2 and QE2... crossings ONLY... never a cruise for the reasons you mention above. That said, I did not find VICTORIA congested at all, not even when trying to disembark in a cruise port. The MARY has a certaain appeal but I honestly think the VICTORIA offers a better Grill experience.

If you cabin is midships you go up to your restaurant and Grill lounge and down to Cafe Carinthia, library, bookshop and lobby. No need to travel to the 'ends' at all. It really does reduce the size of the ship. She 'seems' much smaller than QE2.

Odyssey. I hope she is better than she looks in her photograph! Her interiors seem very bland... especially the main dining room. Looks like 'Asia Modern'.

Stephen

See how tastes differ. I find the dining room on the Odyssey absolutely stunning. Two decks high in the center, all white marble and billowing curtains, long contemporary crystal chandeliers. There is nothing even remotely Asian about it. As for the rest of the decor it is equally beautiful but decidedly contemporary. If one prefers ersatz English you will not like this.

Gillian: Yes, on Seabourn you can order anything you want anytime with 24 hours notice. Not only a specific dish but a theme dinner if you like i.e. Indian or Italian etc.

Interestingly enough the onboard cruise consultant on the QM2 said that the Queen's Grill experience was not as elite on the Queen Victoria as it was on the QM2.

We go on the Victoria in a couple of weeks but in steerage(!!!!) in a balcony room.

Still not sure about whether or not to keep our QG reservation on the QM2 for later this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interestingly enough the onboard cruise consultant on the QM2 said that the Queen's Grill experience was not as elite on the Queen Victoria as it was on the QM2.

We go on the Victoria in a couple of weeks but in steerage(!!!!) in a balcony room.

Still not sure about whether or not to keep our QG reservation on the QM2 for later this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't know where the onboard cruise consultant got that idea - the location of the Grills on Victoria - private deck, up top is better than on QM2 (on the boat deck - so you get the occasional lookie-loo peering in) and there is much more deck space dedicated to the Grill pax on Victoria.

I have not sailed QG, but my last sailing in PG on QV made me think VERY seriously about sailing Grills next time after multiple Britannia or equivalent voyages. It really is a different product. I also found that the Maitre'D was adroit at sitting compatible people close to each other - so on my QV crossing we fell to chatting with a German couple at the next table and had a great time. So I would not worry too much about not getting to know people - the Grills lounge is also a great place to meet people and chat.

Peter

hi gillian 2,

I am sure you will love the QG experience on QM2 - I was on board in May in a Q5 & would be pleased to send you many photos I took of the suite - very spacious & comfortable. My past cruising history is many times QG grade on QE2 & I also sail with P & O & have sailed with Celebrity but Cunard is my favourite. Yes it's true the two Grills on QM2 both having 'passing' traffic & are not in a separate area like on the QV & QE but this being said the food & service are superb & I thought even better that QE2 in most cases & you are always allocated a good table in my experience with extremely compatible tablemates - after the first night we then arranged to meet for pre-dinner drinks in the QG Lounge bar & then would meet up after dinner for a chat & drinks & dancing - I enjoyed it so much I am trying a P1 suite when I am on board in Nov for a crossing & Caribbean cruise. I usually used to order a lot 'off menu' on QE2 in the Grill but on this last crossing had no need to order anything that was not on the main menu or a la carte menu as there was such a good choice with most main course & desserts being flambeed tableside!

Kind Regards,

Richard

Gillian,

I agree with Richard - we were on a Table for 2 in the QG in Nov 07 and are booked for a similar Caribbean sailing this November also in the QG. We had a table for 2 and got to know all the surrounding tables around us. We had a total blast and loved every minute of it. In fact this November we are sharing a table with a couple that we met on that cruise and have coordinated our bookings, even though they are in the US and we are in the UK. The cabins are lovely, and along with the free bar and butler service, you will be totally spoiled. We did order a few things off menu and also sampled quite a few of the a la carte offerings. On our last night we requested Steak Diane and they cooked it tableside for us.

It's a financial stretch for us to be doing this again in November, but we've been saving hard, and we feel it is worth the year round sacrifices for 13 days of heaven!

Hope to see you on board!

Sue

Don't know where the onboard cruise consultant got that idea - the location of the Grills on Victoria - private deck, up top is better than on QM2 (on the boat deck - so you get the occasional lookie-loo peering in) and there is much more deck space dedicated to the Grill pax on Victoria.

I have not sailed QG, but my last sailing in PG on QV made me think VERY seriously about sailing Grills next time after multiple Britannia or equivalent voyages. It really is a different product. I also found that the Maitre'D was adroit at sitting compatible people close to each other - so on my QV crossing we fell to chatting with a German couple at the next table and had a great time. So I would not worry too much about not getting to know people - the Grills lounge is also a great place to meet people and chat.

Peter

Peter,

I agree completely. I think the Grill experience on the VICTORIA is more enjoyable than on QM2. As much as I like Queens Grill on the M2 I think the VICTORIA's has the better location and the decor more plesant. M2's Grill lounge is an an awful barrack of a room compared the to same lounge on VICTORIA. Unfortunately I shall have to wait until January 2011 to experience QV's Queeen's Grill on a transatlantic crossing. It will be interesting then to see how much I like being at the top of the roller coaster!

Stephen

My view is also that the QV QG experience is far superior to that on the QM2. On QV, there is a sense of conviviality and shared celebration among the Grills guests which is lacking on QM2 as the Grills areas on QM2 are not set apart (and above) as they are on QV.

January 2011 to experience QV's Queeen's Grill on a transatlantic crossing. It will be interesting then to see how much I like being at the top of the roller coaster! Stephen

In my experience this winter very little movement at all - even in rough seas - as the roll is very well controlled, the main movement is pitching - and being midships, where the Grills are - is the best spot on the boat.

Peter

In my experience this winter very little movement at all - even in rough seas - as the roll is very well controlled, the main movement is pitching - and being midships, where the Grills are - is the best spot on the boat.

Peter

It will be a nerw experience dining in the Grill with darkness outside. Last summer in the Baltic there was bright sunlight streaming through the windows until well after dinner! I'd prefer snowstorms in January. The vodka will taste better!

Stephen

We have actually had to cancel our upcoming QG on the QM2 due to family reasons (cannot be away from m-in-law that long). However, we plan to make another QG booking in the near future.

My mother and I will be on the Queen Vic in a balcony room (as I mentioned) in a couple of weeks for a Med. cruise. I guess the Queen's Grill experience is on hold for a while. I am still intrigued by Seabourn.

Stephen--

Within a week of my return from the Eurodam Prelude and Inaugural last summer, my boss and her DH were off to England for their first-ever cruise aboard QV to Venice in a Q6...

(She didn't bother telling her DH how much the cruise cost...) ;)

She returned from Europe raving about Cunard and QV and tells anyone who will listen how fabulous the service is in QG - I understand they are now considering another cruise aboard QV.

Archived