cairo shore excursion question

SuiteJunky

Trying to decide if we should do the Cairo shore excursion (pyramids in Giza)

with a visit to the Cairo museum...or a Nile cruise with lunch.

My husband and I saw the traveling pieces from King Tut's grave when they were in USA and are leaning to the Nile cruise with lunch...Please advise what you suggest...will we be missing a lot if we skip the museum??

Thanks.

IMHO if you haven't had a chance to see the Pyamids go on the tour that goes there. The Cario museum which has the best Egyptian collection in the world with apoligies to the British Museum would just be a plus.

The Great Pyramid and its two companions are one of the seven wonders of the ancient world and the only one that has survived. Given a chance to see them or to have lunch on the Nile the Pyramids would have to be your first choice.

Again that is my opinion.

Have a great next cruise whatever you decide.

IMHO if you haven't had a chance to see the Pyamids go on the tour that goes there. The Cario museum which has the best Egyptian collection in the world with apoligies to the British Museum would just be a plus.

The Great Pyramid and its two companions are one of the seven wonders of the ancient world and the only one that has survived. Given a chance to see them or to have lunch on the Nile the Pyramids would have to be your first choice.

Again that is my opinion.

Have a great next cruise whatever you decide.

I would agree with this post. Also, the Egyptian Museum in Cairo is huge and not sure that you would have enough time to do it justice? Would suggest that this is better suited to a land-based holiday when you have more time, this is what we did (although we saw the Museum AND the Pyramids, including the evening sound & light show, but we were there for a few days...) :)

Skip the Nile cruise/lunch. Frankly, the Nile river at Cairo is not really scenic. It is simply a river running through an urban landscape. It's not the Nile river that you think of.....to see that, you'd have to take a Nile cruise farther south.

On the other hand, whatever small handful of King Tut's treasures that you saw (and I've seen two traveling exhibits), is just a drop in the bucket to what you will see in the Cairo museum. Everything from full sized golden chariots and colossal statues to the tiniest yet most amazingly detailed gold jewelry. And don't miss the royal mummies (2nd floor, extra charge to see them).

We took a private overnite tour to Cairo and did both. I doubt I would ever do a Nile Lunch cruise again. It really is highly overrated, to put it mildly. The pyramids, camel rides and museum on the other hand are fantastic. ;)

We were in Egypt on a land vacation. We didn't do a Nile cruise in Cairo (we did cruise up the Nile from Aswan to Luxor--heavenly) and I would vote for the pyramids and the museum--of course you're not going to miss the pyrmids, and in my opinion the museum is not to be missed either.

Egypt is one of most overrated countries in world. Only good thing there is the Cairo museum. Dont miss it.

Wow.....have to say that your response isn't typical of most people I've spoken to that have been to Egypt (myself included).

It's hard to fathom -- for me anyway -- how seeing the only one of the seven wonders of the world that's still relatively intact or viewing some of the most beautiful artifacts of a highly evolved ancient civilization could be "overrated." :cool:

Wow.....have to say that your response isn't typical of most people I've spoken to that have been to Egypt (myself included).

It's hard to fathom -- for me anyway -- how seeing the only one of the seven wonders of the world that's still relatively intact or viewing some of the most beautiful artifacts of a highly evolved ancient civilization could be "overrated." :cool:

My thoughts exactly; we loved our Egypt trip. It's one trip I want to repeat sometime and take my grandchildren. Were there some minuses? Yes, mostly due to the extreme poverty and aggressive vendors, but the Nile, the ancient sites and the Egyptian people were all wonderful.

Egypt is one of most overrated countries in world. Only good thing there is the Cairo museum. Dont miss it.

THEMS IS FIGHTING WORDS ZONCOM! How can you say that...its the most exciting wonderful place in the world!

......i cant believe you think the museum and pyramids, the only surviving wonder of the world, versus a lunch time cruise on the nile is a dilemma!

SEE THE PRYAMIDS SUITJUNKEY!

I posted on one of the other "Boards" some weeks ago, but got no reply. Can anyone who's been on a day tour from Alexandria to Cairo help with an answer my question?

BRILLIANCE OF THE SEAS NOV 18 - 30, 2009.

I have been in contact with Egypt 4 U Tours, and will likely book a day trip to Cairo with them for my wife and I, hoping to possibly join others from our ship. Question: What are the recommended gratuities for the driver and guide? We have been quoted $100/person for a whole day trip from Alexandria to Cairo, return. Is the tip a percentage of the cost?

Thanks for any advice.

I posted on one of the other "Boards" some weeks ago, but got no reply. Can anyone who's been on a day tour from Alexandria to Cairo help with an answer my question?

BRILLIANCE OF THE SEAS NOV 18 - 30, 2009.

I have been in contact with Egypt 4 U Tours, and will likely book a day trip to Cairo with them for my wife and I, hoping to possibly join others from our ship. Question: What are the recommended gratuities for the driver and guide? We have been quoted $100/person for a whole day trip from Alexandria to Cairo, return. Is the tip a percentage of the cost?

Thanks for any advice.

Tipping anyplace is very simple: If someone does something that enhances your travel experience, tip them according to how well they did it.

Our guides in Egypt were outstanding and did a very great deal for us on a private tour. We tipped both driver and guide about 20% of the tour cost for that outstanding service. That was exceptional for us. On other occasions in other places we have tipped 15%, 10% or 5% depending on how well the guides treated us. On a big bus tour with 40 other people we tip $2 to $5 per person unless the guide does something really special for us.

Tipping is a wonderful system which allows us as customers to determine how well the service people are performing. If it is properly done, it encourages the best guides to continue in the business and the poor guides to find jobs elsewhere. If passengers assume that the guide automatically gets such and such a percentage, then the whole system is pointless.

Have a GREAT cruise!

The Nile in Cairo is not a romantic beautiful river lined with palm trees and camels. It is simply a brown river flowing through a big city. Lunch aboard is not going to be anything special. When you get home, you will be able to tell your friends, "We cruised on the Nile River."

The Egyptian Museum is one of the great museums of the world. It is stuffed full of artifacts of amazing beauty and historical importance. On such a tour you will never get to see even the beginning of the collection, but you can at least see a few high spots. The Tut exhibit covers many rooms ... the famous golden mask is just one central spot of it. If at all possible pay the extra to visit the Mummy Room. This is stunning and there is nothing like it in all the world. When you go home you can tell your friends, "We saw the mummy of Rameses the Great, the funeral mask and sarcophagus of King Tut, massive displays of gold, thousands of years of history, and ancient utensils and instruments that foreshadow the modern world."

Choose the museum.

Have a GREAT cruise!

which company did you use in egypt?

Tipping anyplace is very simple: If someone does something that enhances your travel experience, tip them according to how well they did it.

Our guides in Egypt were outstanding and did a very great deal for us on a private tour. We tipped both driver and guide about 20% of the tour cost for that outstanding service. That was exceptional for us. On other occasions in other places we have tipped 15%, 10% or 5% depending on how well the guides treated us. On a big bus tour with 40 other people we tip $2 to $5 per person unless the guide does something really special for us.

Tipping is a wonderful system which allows us as customers to determine how well the service people are performing. If it is properly done, it encourages the best guides to continue in the business and the poor guides to find jobs elsewhere. If passengers assume that the guide automatically gets such and such a percentage, then the whole system is pointless.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Trying to decide if we should do the Cairo shore excursion (pyramids in Giza)

with a visit to the Cairo museum...or a Nile cruise with lunch.

My husband and I saw the traveling pieces from King Tut's grave when they were in USA and are leaning to the Nile cruise with lunch...Please advise what you suggest...will we be missing a lot if we skip the museum??

Thanks.

Ive seen both Tut tours in the US. The first one included his gold mask among other things that wasn't in the second tour. and I have been to the Egyptian Museum in Cairo, there is 10 times the stuff(from both tours) that was sent to the US. You begin to understand why Carter said that he saw unbelievable things.....

The Nile is just water. The Museum is something else and I must tell you that the Nile in Cairo is not much(this picture is from Luxor)

IMG_0050.jpg.a079fde7d6f7a49f31450834b4e2758d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi

I am on the Equinox in October, and am trying to pick a shore excursion that covers the pyramids and the National Archeological Museum. I decided not to spend the night in Cairo but return to Alexandria, and then tour there the second day. Please comment if this is a good decision and what not to miss!!!

Thanks

Hi

I am on the Equinox in October, and am trying to pick a shore excursion that covers the pyramids and the National Archeological Museum. I decided not to spend the night in Cairo but return to Alexandria, and then tour there the second day. Please comment if this is a good decision and what not to miss!!!

Thanks

you will spend 6 hours in the car bus/round trip. I would spend the night and see more. How many times will you be in Egypt?

for you guys who have done a cairo tour with an overnight and returning to alexandria next morning, did you have a sakkarah visit included in your tour on the first day? is it possible/advisable to see the pyramids, sphinx, musuem, sakkarah, sound and light show in one day?

thank you

for you guys who have done a cairo tour with an overnight and returning to alexandria next morning, did you have a sakkarah visit included in your tour on the first day? is it possible/advisable to see the pyramids, sphinx, musuem, sakkarah, sound and light show in one day?

thank you

No while its possible to do it in one exceedingly long day. The light and sound show is at night. Giza(where the light show is) is farther away than Cairo from Alexander. You really don't want to do a 3-4 hour drive that late at night. Its unsafe.

Archived