To those returning from the Rome- Athens via the Black sea cruise in July

uktog

We really hope you had a lovely cruise

Can you advise those of us going in August - how was it.

I would be particuarly keen to know what nights (if any) did they bring local entertainers aboard and were there any special buffet evenings - perhaps based on local food

Well, it probably ranks right up there as one of the best cruises we ever have done (15). Crew were great and the management/officers were always visible. I think the thing that impressed me the most was seeing the officers pitching in to help clean tables (in buffet and outdoors areas) when it was busy. And none of the staff whose job it may have been seemed nervous when it was being done. On other cruises, I usually saw the officers just telling the busboys which tables needing cleaning. Nice touch.

Weather was HOT and sunny right through. Not any sight of rain at all. Ports were great except for IMHO Sinop. There really isn't much there at all. Now, other people might disagree but the general consensus was not much to stop for.

Local dancers and a belly dancer were the entertainment for the Istanbul port. There was a greek night buffet on the deck and I think it was on the evening we stopped in Chios. Awesome food. There also was another night and the theme was international. Sorry, don't remember which night it was but it was later in the cruise.

We especially liked the Capt. He was so genuine and approachable. Meeting him and the senior staff at the cruise critic party you got the feeling like they really did care how things were for you.

I am sure someone with a better memory than mine will help you out with your questions. I never write things down. Enjoy your time on board. I usually am ready to go home once a cruise is over but I can tell you that I sure didn't want to get off the Quest when it got to Athens.

Faye

Faye

This really has my heart racing and thank you for the information.

We were on Quest in January and noticed exactly the same behaviour re the Officers and you are correct how relaxed the staff were about things. We had Captain Carl and he knew his staff, making a point one night of introducing to all there at a party an assistant stateroom attendant (who had been asked to come up and clearly thought this was because he was to help keep the room tidy) but in fact he had become a Dad that day - it really was such a sensitively handled moment and made the new Dad feel special even though he was so many miles from his new son.

We also saw a big line build up one day at the Grill - excursions had returned late and the buffet was closed so we all went to the Grill. The Assistant Maitre D noticed and started to pitch in to help and called down also to the kitchen to ask could someone come up and help. A few minutes later the Head Chef no less arrived - and we overheard him saying to the AMD - well I picked up the phone and it was easiest if I came up than ask someone else- he then turned to the young Grill Chef and said - now you tell me where I can help, forget who I am and he just got on with it, there were even jokes and lovely banter between him and the other grill staff about whether he was making as good fries as everyone else. For me, that moment on Quest said to me, this is a good team ship.

Back to the cruise, I see Sinop as a relax day as we will be port intensive elsewhere. I have nothing planned for Ephesus evening when we are in port until 2300 - were you? I think that might be a good night for Prime C

Thanks for sharing your trip and I am so sorry they very cruelly made you get off the ship in Athens :)

I have to agree with the above poster....this was one of the best cruises we have been on........Captain Smith is the best............he is always out and about and tells you ALL the details as you depart each port.....the cruise from Istanbul into the Black Sea is a highlight of any cruise experience we have ever had.....we watched toward the Asia side, but hear it does not matter which side you view........as for the food, there was a Greek Buffet on Deck 9 and I think it was the Chios port day, too.....

The Cruise Director was the best we have ever had...Sue Denning from Great Britian and her show is not to be missed, IMHO........it was Odessa night on our cruise.......

I agree with the assessment of Sinop, plus we had high winds that day that required us to tender to port.....it was not a very interesting port, at least for us........

We really enjoyed Yalta and Odessa in Urkaine...di not care for Sebastopol.....the Russian fleet was there and they were practicing for "Navy Day" as we left the port so that was an interesting site to see the 4-5 ships with all staff "dressed" and on deck...they hoisted flags and it was an interesing site to see, but the port was not so much.

Also, Varna, Bulgaria was a nice city...the ship docked away from town and there was a $8.00 roundtrip charge to use the ship sponsored shuttle buses.....a few of the people we met did walk back and said it was not a bad walk.......

Enjoy!!!!!

Eddie and Joe in Fort Lauderdale

The Quest is probably one of the best ships we ever sailed on, the service and food are excellent.

This was also the first cruise we have been on that offered a full room service breakfast even items like Eggs Benedict. Every morning, we had a delicious breakfast on our balcony; a great way to start the day without being rushed.

This was a very port intensive cruise, but every port (with the exception of Sinop) had so much to offer. We took private tours in almost every port, and feel we really saw each city. The history in this part of the world, especially Ephesus, Istanbul and the Ukraine is amazing. Also Pompei (on the Sorrento stop) is a must if you have never been there before.

Also, don't miss Sue Dennings (the cruise director) show. She is quite an entertainer

Thank you so much for sharing your stories. We have been to Sorrento, Santorini Ephesus and Istanbul so will be having fairly lazy times there. I was in Varna in the 1984 so the changes there will be interesting.

I think if we had to tender at Sinop I might stay onboard

I have made a note not to make plans for the early Sunday evening when we sail out of Istanbul as that sounds marvellous - actually I did that sail in 1984 from Varna to Istanbul return but we sailed late at night and as I was 6 weeks pregnant I was feeling yuk so have no recollection of it - no risk of that problem this time!!

We actually enjoyed our visit to Sinop - nice archaeological museum with lots of artifacts in an outdoor garden, several mosques, a nice old city wall to walk around. If you enjoy the macabre, there is an old prison, which seemed to give off bad vibes. Each to his own. We are explorers at heart and probably went to places that a lot of people didn't see.

As far as Varna, we walked into town. Unless you have mobility problems or just don't like to walk, it isn't far at all. We first walked along the nice park and followed the signs to the center. Coming back we took a different, very short walk that led us very near the port. The park route is only a bit over 1 kilometre of pleasant walking including down a pedestrian area and through the park.

There was also a shuttle at Odessa. Ummmm, getting to the Potemkin steps and the free funicular was just a matter of walking through the terminal, going toward the main street and taking the subway to cross. From the steps, you are already at the edge of town. We saw no need for a shuttle, but like I said, maybe if you have mobility problems.... You will see the steps from the ship - that's how close it is.

We also enjoyed Sue's show and found the officers actively involved with the pax. It added to the overall experience.

We did all excursions on our own, including Ephesus,Pompeii.Chios, Yalta, which involved getting out of the port city. If you have any questions or need details, feel free to ask.

Eileen,

We didn't rent a car, but took public transport to Mesta and Pyrgi. Very scenic route. Roads didn't seem too bad and not much traffic on them. Going through some of the smaller villages on the longer way back, we did go on some roads that were quite narrow for a bus, but that wouldn't likely be a problem for a car.

It would be much easier to visit the villages with your own car as the bus schedule makes it difficult to do more than one village.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Going through some of the smaller villages on the longer way back, we did go on some roads that were quite narrow for a bus, but that wouldn't likely be a problem for a car. It would be much easier to visit the villages with your own car as the bus schedule makes it difficult to do more than one village.

Eileen,

One of the reasons that the bus went through the small villages with the narrow roads on the way back is that the bus company HAS to provide transportation to those small villages. You would not have to go through them. You'd just have to stay on the main road.

We did the same public bus trip as macruise did, and she's right. The bus schedule makes it hard to visit both Mesta and Pyrgi. Were we to do it again, we would definitely rent a car. Someone else in our CruiseCritic roll call hired a car and driver for the day and covered a lot more territory. This would be another good choice. Have a great time.

Archived