Auto or train Barcelona to Paris?

After our cruise on the Brilliance of the Seas in Sept we plan to go to Paris by rental car or train and could use any help in deciding which would be better. We will be short on time and want to use what time we have to "see" Paris.

If you're short of time, I'd recommend flying. Although I didn't do a comprehensive search, it was easy to find that easyJet fly from Barcelona to Orly, and Ryanair from Girona to Beauvais. There may be other low-fare airlines too, and of course you can also do it on Air France or Iberia.

I would either fly or take the train if you are short on time. We flew from Venice to Paris in October and it was effortless though of course you do waste time as you have to be at the airport hours before the flight.

I do love train travel as I like to be able to move around and also watch the scenary though with the fast trains you really only see a blur.

Both to us would be preferable to driving, but then again we do drive on the opposite side to both you and Europeans and it is a nightmare for us!

Jennie

Interestingly (having found a few more minutes to have a dig around) the direct train service from Barcelona to Paris appears to be a sleeper service - journey time about 12 hours, currently scheduled to depart Barcelona Sants at about 2100 and arrive at Paris Austerlitz at about 0900.

I looked around on the site of the French Railway.

Yes there is a nightrain, which leave paris ar 8.32pm and arrives in Barcelona at 08.24am the next morning. There will be sleepingcars and couchettes (kind of sleeperettes) on board.

Archived