southwest experts help please

mina

I need to get my flights reserved right when Southwest releases the dates for booking (sept 1 - per their website). Exactly what time on sept 1 will the flights be released and what time zone. For example, are they released at12:01 am on Sept 1 -- dallas time (since that is where southwest is HQ'rd). Please advise on the best way to get the low rates as soon as possible on the date they go on sale. THANK YOU!!!

Just because you book it on the first day they become available, it doesn't mean it would be the lowest price. Somewhere along the way, there could easily be fare reductions and a sale.

I understand that -- and appreciate your input -- but my question is when do they release the flights on sept 1 ? -- -- I will be flying to FLL during fleet week -- they ain't going on sale that week - so if anyone knows the answer to my question about the timing of the release I would appreciate it. thanks!

You asked two different questions.

SW generally extends their schedule around 10a Central Time.

Recently SW has, initially, been stingy with the number of discounted seats available during peak travel times. Additional discounted seats were made available later, if SW had an idea as to which flights wouldn't sell without further discounts. Booking at the exact minute won't get you a low fare if SW decides not to make any deeply discounted seats available for the flight you want to book.

You might get better fares, particularly if you have flexibility, a day or two (maybe even later) after the schedule is extended. People who book immediately, and keep looking, frequently wind up with credits.

SW is doing a better job, from their prospective, of not offering deeply discounted fares on flights that will sell out at higher fares. The first flight of a cruise day to FLL for example. Obviously there will be some discounted fares available but not always the lowest fares.

Booking the minute the schedule is extended doesn't guarantee you'll pay the lowest fare.

Thank you -- I get it -- I will still be online at 10 am to see if the fares are what I am looking for -- I have a good idea of what the range is and what would be a good fare to get - if they are not available - I will wait a few days -- I noticed that airtran just did the same thing -- the only thing they released was their full fares this part weekend -- and really did not add in any good discounts.

Thank you -- I get it -- I will still be online at 10 am to see if the fares are what I am looking for -- I have a good idea of what the range is and what would be a good fare to get - if they are not available - I will wait a few days -- I noticed that airtran just did the same thing -- the only thing they released was their full fares this part weekend -- and really did not add in any good discounts.

And if they can sell seats at that price, why would they?

Usually, I have not noticed any sales for heavy/popular travel dates, such as around spring break, Christmas, etc.

Problem is by the time WN releases their schedules, they may not HAVE to offer deep discounts...and at that point, all the other carriers' low fares will be long gone.

That's a risk you take with Southwest.....sometimes they are the lowest priced, sometimes not....although at least they aren't mean to your luggage (as in the commercial....)..your bag and his bag friend can still fly free!

SW generally extends their schedule around 10a Central Time.

Not true. I have seen them release it at 6am when I wake up as well as in the afternoon. There really is no set time the schedule comes out. Best thing to do is look at Southwest's website when you wake up and check every hour or so to see if the schedule has been released.

Not true. I have seen them release it at 6am when I wake up as well as in the afternoon. There really is no set time the schedule comes out. Best thing to do is look at Southwest's website when you wake up and check every hour or so to see if the schedule has been released.

Steve is correct here... there is NO SET TIME when they will open up the new dates.

I have found with SW that if you want to make certain you have the seat regardless of the price, then book it when available, then just watch for lower fares and future credits. Works for me after getting approx. $300.00 worth of flight credits in the past year to use.

The OP wanted to know if SW opened up their schedule at midnight, and if so what time zone. They don't.

SW generally extends their schedule at around 10a Central time. People who doubt that information are free to check flyertalk. They can go to a variety of Disney boards. Posters in some boards want to book the second the schedule opens up. Do a date search for each day SW extended the schedule.

At one time SW didn't even pre-announce the date the schedule would be extended. SW now gives the date and let's us know if there is a change. My memory is there was one extension where the time was delayed, primarily because a new city was added and a SW specifically said the extension was delayed a few hours for that reason.

10a Central time isn't a guarantee. Start checking at 9a Central time if you want.

Mina

You don't mention when you're leaving on your trip, but I wanted to let you know......if after you book, a lower fare comes out, SW will give you a credit which you can use towards your next SW purchase within a year.

This has happened to me twice this year already. I downloaded SW's "ding" feature and check the "specials" every day.

Karen

SW generally (emphasis added) extends their schedule at around 10a Central time. People who doubt that information are free to check flyertalk.

This is the accepted wisdom. As the Wiki for WN notes on FlyerTalk, The schedule is usually extended on a Thursday morning, shortly after 10 AM Central Time.

Archived