Medical Marijuana on Cali ports

YeaYeaYea

Best bet would be to contact HAL in writing stating your case - or that of your brother - and back it up with his doctor/consultant's letter and see what they say. Afterall, it is their ship and if explained to them in a reasonable manner in writing, they might make allowances for you & your brother on compassionate grounds.

However, if you just turn up on the off chance with the weed and they catch you, you'll be removed from the ship without recourse.

You need to write and ask them if they would be willing to make an allowance on this occasion and then whatever the reply is, act accordingly. If positive, remember to take the letter with you incase of problems at the quayside, if the reply is negative, well at least you asked...which is all you can do without getting into trouble over it.

A phone call would get the information that OP needs.

I still think DBA gave good advice and should be followed. I do know that when ships dock on disembarkement day there are dogs that sniff suitcases looking for narcotics. If you get pinched in Vancouver, Seattle, New York or Ft. Lauderdale and you say you are from California they will reply "So what" and you will be locked up. Take Dutch's advise and make sure you get a green light from HAL before you go.

Thank you.

Keep in mind that the places where this substance has been legalized, even though the STATE allows it for a certain few the FEDERAL government can still get you on possession charges...

To make a decision using any answer other than that which the company gives you, quite frankly, is a foolish move that could result in legal ramifications.

And I hate being blunt like this... I like to keep my posts more light-hearted, but this is obviously a serious topic.

Since medically necessary marijuana is "a lawfully obtained prescription drug", I don't how/why they would have a reason not to allow it.

You have to also keep in mind though that while it may be legal where you live, if it is not legal everywhere you are GOING, there can be some MAJOR and VERY serious issues.

19 year olds can drink in Canada. It doesn't means that they can come to the US at 19 years of age and say "Well I can where *I* live..." That will get them nowhere and if they put up a fuss the cops would probably be called to the bar/liquor store.

Another suggestion, the med mj places offer a selection of edibles such as lollypops as well as simple 'breath' strips which dissolve on the tongue.

I'm not suggesting you smuggle as he should have the right to use a prescribed med but it's something to consider...no muss, no fuss.

Best wishes to him - cancer is a b!tch and I'm sure he's grateful for any relief.

ps...I don't imbibe but a few friends do. :)

Well said DBA. I think you are right on target. I like to stand out on the LP deck as the ship is docking and as the luggage comes off and into the terminal, the dogs go in right away. Let a word to the wise be sufficient.

I did some quick research on this topic, and this is what I found:

http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/court-upholds-government-on-medical-marijuana/

Unfortunately, for the OP's brother, and thousands of others, the answer, at this point in time, seems to be that, regardless of HAL, or any other cruise line's, policy, since the ship is in international waters, and the US government can prosecute.

Again, personally, I don't understand how logic enters into all of this. If alcohol is freely available to adults, with its concommitant issues, then, IMO, it is inconsistent to criminalize marijuana in this way.

If he's able to swallow them (My Mom Wasn't) there are pills that have the same or similar effect. Perhaps he can look into a perscription for that?

On another note... What's HAL's policy on brining home-made brownies on board ;-)

If he's able to swallow them (My Mom Wasn't) there are pills that have the same or similar effect. Perhaps he can look into a perscription for that?

On another note... What's HAL's policy on brining home-made brownies on board ;-)

Not all patients receive the same benefit using a pill as they do smoking the substance. Which is why I suggested in my previous post that they get the script, then try the pills BEFORE leaving home.

Not all patients receive the same benefit using a pill as they do smoking the substance. Which is why I suggested in my previous post that they get the script, then try the pills BEFORE leaving home.

Just got off the phone with HAL and if you have a script for it you can bring your doses with you. They also said do not , with respect for other passengers smoke in a public area. He has to use about 3 ounces a week and he can't eat the stuff because the type of illness. They also said don't be in your room having a pot party or it will get ugly. I got him a room with an outside deck he can smoke there. Thanks for all of your concern on this issue this could be his last big trip and I want my twin to be with me, if I lose him it will and is going to be real hard.:(

A phone call would get the information that OP needs.

My reasoning for obtaining permission in writing from HAL is incase the passenger gets a different reception when at the quayside. They can then show that person the written letter from HAL HQ allowing them permission on compassionate grounds to use the medicinal weed and that should then cover everyone's backsides...both the crew in accepting it on board, and the passenger for taking/using it on board.

A phone call doesn't offer that immediate back-up. You can speak to someone, take their name incase of a problem, but more often than not when it comes to face to face on the quay, something in writing would almost certainly get you further than a 'Mr/Mrs/Miss whoever told me this or that from so'n'so department'.

Having something in black and white always helps smooth any misconceptions and misunderstandings.

Just got off the phone with HAL and if you have a script for it you can bring your doses with you. They also said do not , with respect for other passengers smoke in a public area. He has to use about 3 ounces a week and he can't eat the stuff because the type of illness. They also said don't be in your room having a pot party or it will get ugly. I got him a room with an outside deck he can smoke there. Thanks for all of your concern on this issue this could be his last big trip and I want my twin to be with me, if I lose him it will and is going to be real hard.:(

Good for you! I agree with Goldryder however and I would also get something in writing from HAL from a "person in authority" given your brother permission to use his medication. It never hurts to have that should he/you be challenged!

In the mean time, all the best to your brother and enjoy your cruise!

If having them write the permission by snail mail is too long winded, have them email it, then all you need do is print it off...obviously making sure that the sender's name and contact details are on the email so that crew or quay staff can contact them to confirm it is legitimate if they wish to...then carry that around with you along with your usual cruise paperwork.

Cover your backside at all times, saves alot of potential problems from arising.

Okay.... I don't mean to put a damper on this celebration. As I have said, I am all for the OP's brother to be able to go on this cruise.

My concern is that the people who might *not* allow it are bigger than HAL. HAL can state that they will not prosecute someone using medical marijuana, but the ports, as I understand the Supreme Court's ruling, are under the control of the US government.

So, the state of California may say "fine", and HAL may say "fine" (good for them!) but in-between them, there is the port, where it has happened that the US government has said "not so fine".

OP, I do not mean to discourage you, but I do want you to be aware. Maybe there won't be dogs at this terminal. But, it looks like the US government is taking on this battle, and, if it is found, you could be in trouble.

My best to you.

Yeayeayea,

Did you speak specifically with Access and Compliance (800-547-8493)? And did you specifically mention what the medication/prescription was?

I just spoke with access and complaince and was given the following information:

This was reviewed some time ago with our head of fleet security here in the corporate office. The inquiry was posed to the US Drug Enforcement Agency and their official response basically stated that the US Federal government does not recognize a doctor's prescription for marijuana, and therefore, possession of marijuana even with a doctor's prescription is a Federal crime. Since Customs and Border Patrol is an agency with US law enforcement authority, a passenger could be subject to arrest if found in possession of marijuana. DEA does recognize a prescription for Marinol, the pill form of medical marijuana, so traveling with Marinol is not a problem.

Further, HAL policy would not allow marijuana on board in any event due to our no tolerance policy.

OP,

I would highly recommend you specifically speak with this department if you have further questions. I am uncertain who you originally spoke with, but it would appear that either that employee was not properly informed, or that the question was phrased in a vague and/or ambiguous way.

For reference, I believe Chris is the agent in Access and Compliance that is on phones today.

Good for you! I agree with Goldryder however and I would also get something in writing from HAL from a "person in authority" given your brother permission to use his medication. It never hurts to have that should he/you be challenged!

In the mean time, all the best to your brother and enjoy your cruise!

I didn't mention they said it would be noted on his account and he would have to send a copy of the script and a letter from his doctor registerd mail so he will have conformation. They also said DO NOT LEAVE THE SHIP WITH IT, something about state rights apply when you leave a port. Thanks copper I know he will be 10-8 but not straight:D

I didn't mention they said it would be noted on his account and he would have to send a copy of the script and a letter from his doctor registerd mail so he will have conformation. They also said DO NOT LEAVE THE SHIP WITH IT, something about state rights apply when you leave a port. Thanks copper I know he will be 10-8 but not straight:D

Did you read what DBA said on his post earlier today? I would really urge you to try calling the correct department again especially since it looks like he pasted something from the Access and Compliance department directly. In my book, it would be a lot better to be safe than sorry.

Archived