Medical Marijuana on Cali ports

YeaYeaYea

The Contract states:

Radioactive materials, controlled substances (other than lawfully obtained prescription drugs), firearms and illicit materials are strictly prohibited.

If you violate the contract the Captain can put you off the ship.

If you are in a California port, off the ship and have a medicinal marijuana card for the state of California, fire up. But I am not sure it can be transported on to the ship.

Seems like every other person here has a card. :rolleyes:

Must be lots of sick people.;)

And I am NOT making fun of the people who legitimately need the drug to help them cope with their illness.

If you're planning on flying from Jersey to California, chances are very good that the cute little "sniffer dogs" will sit down right beside you and your luggage while you're waiting in line to go through security. I'm not sure the opportunity to continue travel will be presented to you at that time.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

I would follow DBA's advise to the letter! A "medical marijuana card" for the state of California is one thing but even those come with rules and regulations and apply to the state of California. A HAL ship on the open seas/international waters and/or making port calls to foreign countries is a different ball game all together.

Passengers have been kicked off dam ships at the next available port (and later prosecuted depending on quantity) for being in possession of Marijuana

Really bad idea. You probably will want to leave it home. :)

Its for my brother doing chemotherapy, he now lives in Cali because of treatment. We wanted to do a cruise with him but he need to do it so he will be hungry enough for him to eat. With this drug he has lived 5 years longer then expected. SO WHAT IS SUCH A BAD IDEA ABOUT THAT:confused:

Its for my brother doing chemotherapy, he now lives in Cali because of treatment. We wanted to do a cruise with him but he need to do it so he will be hungry enough for him to eat. With this drug he has lived 5 years longer then expected. SO WHAT IS SUCH A BAD IDEA ABOUT THAT:confused:

Best bet would be to contact HAL in writing stating your case - or that of your brother - and back it up with his doctor/consultant's letter and see what they say. Afterall, it is their ship and if explained to them in a reasonable manner in writing, they might make allowances for you & your brother on compassionate grounds.

However, if you just turn up on the off chance with the weed and they catch you, you'll be removed from the ship without recourse.

You need to write and ask them if they would be willing to make an allowance on this occasion and then whatever the reply is, act accordingly. If positive, remember to take the letter with you incase of problems at the quayside, if the reply is negative, well at least you asked...which is all you can do without getting into trouble over it.

Passengers have been kicked off dam ships at the next available port (and later prosecuted depending on quantity) for being in possession of Marijuana

So the lesson is: BE DISCREET;););)

Mark...

I still think DBA gave good advice and should be followed. I do know that when ships dock on disembarkement day there are dogs that sniff suitcases looking for narcotics. If you get pinched in Vancouver, Seattle, New York or Ft. Lauderdale and you say you are from California they will reply "So what" and you will be locked up. Take Dutch's advise and make sure you get a green light from HAL before you go.

I wish your brother the very best and hope he gets wonderful care and treatment.

The BAD IDEA about it is asking this very important question on an internet message board rather than those in an official capacity who can give you the legal and responsible advice you need.

DBA and Copper John know very much better than me and they both gave what seems to be the best possible advice.

Has anyone noticed smoking of medical marijuana onboard any ships and if so what is the policy??
If you see the crew standing downwind of someone who is smoking, you can be sure of one thing.

Has anyone noticed smoking of medical marijuana onboard any ships and if so what is the policy??

No No No on HAL! Try a Greek line overseas....

In order to answer that question, one has to know what "MJ" looks and smells like;)

Agree Cooper 10-8, and each year more and more passengers will recognize the smell instantly. One does not forget the small even if it has been 40-50 years since one was in high school, college or young adulthood where it was being used. I am in the age group at the leading edge of somewhat common MJ social use, at least in parts of the country. More and more will follow.

I think trying to get valid info on this kind of issue from a message board is VERY similar to people with criminal records wanting info on how to get through Immigration from a message board.

Find out who has the authority to decide, find out if the decision is binding in all jurisdictions the ship will be in, and start pursuing what needs to be done with the officials it needs to be done with. Or talk to the doctor and find out how to obtain the active/effective ingredient in pill form. And test the pills for efficacy before leaving home.

If you smell marijuana being smoked onboard, there is no way of knowing whether it is being smoked under medical marijuana provisions or not - all you and the sniffer dogs know is the presence of marijuana.

It is obvious that your brother needs competent, legal advice just as Copper and DBA have told you. DBA, who works for HAL in Seattle has already pointed you to the appropriate personnel - now just do it. Asking for opinions or experiences with this on this forum is not wise or appropriate:)

In order to answer that question, one has to know what "MJ" looks and smells like;)

Having taught secondary school in an urban district, I certainly know. I'm sure there are many others who know, not by past use, but by their public position.

OP, I would call HAL and ask what documentation is necessary, however....

Someone copied the relevant portion of the contract. It says:

Radioactive materials, controlled substances (other than lawfully obtained prescription drugs), firearms and illicit materials are strictly prohibited.

Since medically necessary marijuana is "a lawfully obtained prescription drug", I don't how/why they would have a reason not to allow it.

I don't understand why people in the US have such a radical response to this. Perhaps we *were* all brainwashed by "Reefer Madness". If you think about all the *other* prescription drugs that are on ships -- tranquilizers, opiates, etc. -- they all have a much higher potential for abuse and physical dependency than marijuana. Alcohol causes much more damage to the system than marijuana does.

Lest people think that I have a personal agenda here, let me state clearly and directly: I don't smoke marijuana. It is illegal in my state to do so, and I am a person who honors the law, whether or not I agree with it. However, it astounds me that society understands it when opiates are prescribed regularly for pain relief, but the mention of marijuana elicits fearful responses.

Agree Cooper 10-8, and each year more and more passengers will recognize the smell instantly. One does not forget the small even if it has been 40-50 years since one was in high school, college or young adulthood where it was being used. I am in the age group at the leading edge of somewhat common MJ social use, at least in parts of the country. More and more will follow.

Just this year, Massachusetts decriminalized possessing small amounts of marijauna by voter referendum. There is now only a small fine if caught either smoking or having it.

Archived