Charging Double to a single traveler

I am starting this tread here because I that Royal Caribbean moniters what happens here.

I've been cruising on RCI for a few years now and pay double. I love the cruise line. I can see charging a 50% surcharge because of double occupancy on the room, but I do not eat for two people, one take one chair at the pool and one seat in all the other venues. For me, it is very expensive to cruise. It would be wonderful if you all would change the way you charge and we would have more money to spend once on board. I think it is unfair that I am paying double. This is no way a slam against the cruise line, burt against the pricing policy. I hope you would take this under consideration and make us single travelers much happier cruisers. I do take up the cruise line every chance I get and in fact is proud of the cruise line. I could almost work in sales for you guys.

Thanks for listening to me.

I am starting this tread here because I that Royal Caribbean moniters what happens here.

I've been cruising on RCI for a few years now and pay double. I love the cruise line. I can see charging a 50% surcharge because of double occupancy on the room, but I do not eat for two people, one take one chair at the pool and one seat in all the other venues. For me, it is very expensive to cruise. It would be wonderful if you all would change the way you charge and we would have more money to spend once on board. I think it is unfair that I am paying double. This is no way a slam against the cruise line, burt against the pricing policy. I hope you would take this under consideration and make us single travelers much happier cruisers. I do take up the cruise line every chance I get and in fact is proud of the cruise line. I could almost work in sales for you guys.

I can hear you, I´m a solo cruiser most of the time as well. It would be nice having to pay less. However I totally can see the reasoning for charging 200% for Solo cruisers.

One reason they charge double is that as a single, you purchase 1/2 as many drinks, 1/2 the amount in the shops, 1/2 the bingo cards, 1/2 the tips, etc. About 1/3 of the cruiselines income is from "extras", so they lose all that extra income when you travel as a single.

I'm traveling solo for the first time in a couple of months. I understand the double charge for the cabin. What I have a problem with is not receiving double C & A credit for the cabin that I've paid double for. I wrote letters to C & A early last spring and so far have not received a response.

I understand where you are coming from but occasionally you can find something with a lower Double rate, say maybe 175% or even 150% on very rare occasions. While I like RCCL a lot, there are other cruiselines that tend to run better rates for singles/solos and in many cases that just trumps the advantages of RCCL which aren't what they once were anyway. Best of luck to you and it just makes doing our homework as singles or solo's just a little more challenging.

They should just price the cabins as a set fee---not "per person, based on double occupancy". The cabin would be $____ for up to 2 people...then, they could charge for any additional bodies in the cabin.

That´s what they do now, they just break it down to per person to make it easier for the passengers to see how much it´s per person, but actually it´s a per cabin rate plus taxes and fees on a per person basis.

I know some people who do not cruise for this very reason as they object to being charged double because although they agree they take up the whole cabin they also say they do not eat double the food etc.

Still whilst cruise lines can fill their cabins they are not going to be interested in engaging this group.

I know some people who do not cruise for this very reason as they object to being charged double because although they agree they take up the whole cabin they also say they do not eat double the food etc.

Still whilst cruise lines can fill their cabins they are not going to be interested in engaging this group.

They have to realize that food is only a very, very minor amount of the cruise fare. IIRC it´s about $10 per person per day give or take a little.

I can really understand your point of view. I do however think that the pricing structure that Royal Caribbean uses makes perfect sense. Imagine what would happen if there's a wave of single passengers filling half of the ship. It will be a terrible loss for the cruise line. Nowadays the margins are so tight that even a little mint chocolate on your pillow makes a difference, so I very much doubt that Royal will let go off a cabin at "half price". At the end of the day, yes you are just one person, but you still occupy a whole cabin.

I do however fully agree on one of the response comments. I think it should only be fair for you to receive double the Crown & Anchor Society points as you HAVE paid for them.

:)

Maybe some of you single cruisers should team up...

LOL

I can really understand your point of view. I do however think that the pricing structure that Royal Caribbean uses makes perfect sense. Imagine what would happen if there's a wave of single passengers filling half of the ship. It will be a terrible loss for the cruise line. Nowadays the margins are so tight that even a little mint chocolate on your pillow makes a difference, so I very much doubt that Royal will let go off a cabin at "half price". At the end of the day, yes you are just one person, but you still occupy a whole cabin.

I do however fully agree on one of the response comments. I think it should only be fair for you to receive double the Crown & Anchor Society points as you HAVE paid for them.

Maybe some of you single cruisers should team up...

LOL

That's discrimination against a particular type of cruiser. All cruisers should be treated equally. Is the point to discourage single cruisers? Why is it that one has to cruise as a twosome? I cruise alone because my friends don't like cruises or can't get off at the same time I can. So my penalty is to pay twice the amount to take the same vacation couples or families pay. Hotels don't penalize a single person, airlines don't penalize a single person. What's the deal?

Team up. Would want to stay with someone you don't know in a cabin? I doubt it.

That's discrimination against a particular type of cruiser. All cruisers should be treated equally. Is the point to discourage single cruisers? Why is it that one has to cruise as a twosome? I cruise alone because my friends don't like cruises or can't get off at the same time I can. So my penalty is to pay twice the amount to take the same vacation couples or families pay. Hotels don't penalize a single person, airlines don't penalize a single person. What's the deal?

I don´t see any discrimination against single cruisers, we pay for a cabin just as couples do. We get the same amount of cabin space, but have it to ourselves instead of sharing it with two people. Hotels do exactly the same. You pay for the room. It´s the same price if you stay in the room as a single or with two people. Where´s the difference?

At least that´s the case in the US. Over here the Hotels provide single rooms, they are mostly considerable smaller but you pay a lower rate.

With airlines you only get a single seat, so that´s not a good comparison IMO.

One reason they charge double is that as a single, you purchase 1/2 as many drinks, 1/2 the amount in the shops, 1/2 the bingo cards, 1/2 the tips, etc. About 1/3 of the cruiselines income is from "extras", so they lose all that extra income when you travel as a single.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Single occupancy reduces the potential income from the cabin by 50%.

Not saying I agree with the policy in any way, but that is, I believe, the rationale

You may 'think' that hotels don't penalize...but the reality is that one person pays the SAME amount as two for one hotel room. This is the deal with a cruise: one person is paying the SAME amount as two.

Using the airlines as an example isn't valid because a single person is only buying one seat, which can only hold one person. They don't make you pay double the airfare for one seat.

I honestly think I, nor was Royal Caribbean’s pricing structure "discriminating". Whether you’re a single person in a hotel room or in some cases 4 people... It still is the same price, at least in most places in the world.

The remark that you should "team-up" was a joke, GEEZ!

did i forget the smiley face?

Hotels don't penalize a single person, airlines don't penalize a single person. What's the deal?

Utter balderdash!!!

I am going to Vegas in October from my cruise with my son and my wife.

In one room at the MGM will be myself and my wife. We pay $525 for the room.

In the other room of identical grade will be my son. Single. On his own. He will pay $525 for his room.

Therefore we are paying $262.50pp for our room and he is paying double.

It is like that the world over, and if you think otherwise I think you are living on a different planet.

What do you guys think? Should they build some "single" cabins on the future ships? And only charge for a single fare?

That may work; if it’s feasible then Royal Caribbean may do it.

Maybe about 10 or so cabins... would that be ok?

The problem however is; there's not really much space for them to take away apart from the sleeping area. They can't make the bathrooms any smaller. just the bedrooms. So "technically" you would pay 140% or so of the "per-person" fare... and not double...

What do you guys think? Should they build some "single" cabins on the future ships? And only charge for a single fare?

i have no problem with single cabins (I think Olsen are the best company for that), or maybe a cabin share policy as P & O used to do. 10 cabins almost becomes an irrelevance. If they are going to do it, you would probably need a minimum of 50-100 cabins in my opinion to make it viable forthe cruise company.

On some older ships they have them / used to have them. I can tell you they would not go at half the double rate, as they still will occupy more than half of the space than a double cabin.

I for one know I would not book them, but yes I guess there might be a clientele to book them. I doubt however we´ll see them.

i have no problem with single cabins (I think Olsen are the best company for that), or maybe a cabin share policy as P & O used to do. 10 cabins almost becomes an irrelevance. If they are going to do it, you would probably need a minimum of 50-100 cabins in my opinion to make it viable forthe cruise company.

I guess the thing that will make the crusie line uneasy would be that for every 3 "single cabins" that are unoccupied, they "loose" the space that 2 "regular" cabins would have taken. 100 might be a bit too much.

If they do build a 100 "single cabins", how would you categorize them?

I will say:

20x Single Balcony Cabins

30x Single Oceanview Cabins

50x Single Inside Cabins

Would that be discriminating again?

I guess the thing that will make the crusie line uneasy would be that for every 3 "single cabins" that are unoccupied, they "loose" the space that 2 "regular" cabins would have taken. 100 might be a bit too much.

If they do build a 100 "single cabins", how would you categorize them?

I will say:

20x Single Balcony Cabins

30x Single Oceanview Cabins

50x Single Inside Cabins

Would that be discriminating again?

Yes it definitely would. Why the need for way more Insides for singles than Balconies when the majority of cabins these days is blacony cabins?

Why no suites for singles?

Where do we go about single handicapped cruisers?

While I love the idea of single cabins, I don't see it happening. It would be nice if they would at least offer the double cabins at a special rate of 150% on cruises that aren't full. I do understand that having singles impacts potential revenue and can't really blame them.

Unfortunately, the world is geared towards couples and families. I don't use the "buy one get one" coupons at resturants, I have no need to buy in bulk so discount warehouses aren't really helpful, if I buy any prepackaged fruit or produce I have to freeze quickly or it goes to waste etc. Hmmmm I wonder why so many people out there feel like they have to be part of a couple to have a say in this world?? (For the record, I do understand the economic principles and would rather be happily single than miserable with a free sandwich :p)

If a single cruiser would be complaining about it being EXPENSIVE due to the fact that he/she/handicapped or not needs to pay double the fare, I would imagine that they would'nt really go for a suite.

I guess it's taking the point too far...

I think single cruisers should be very happy if they even get one type of "single cabin" in the future...

In my opinion some people are a bit too sensitive, and re-fill their flame throwers with gas way too quickly.

Archived