Skagway

Guest enjoycruises

Guest enjoycruises

I am not sure which is more exciting. Would it be the the train ride to the Yukon, train/bus ride from Yukon or the car ride to Emerald? Any opinion?

Guest enjoycruises

Taxatty: Thanks for the tip. I am all for saving some "gelt".

Dirtyoldad: Thank for the invite but we are going on the Serenade 6/12/05. Have a good trip.

For clarification- the White Pass Railroad does NOT go into the Yukon, only BC. So if the Yukon is a priority, you need a bus/ car going on the Klondike Highway. There are some combo train/bus tours that do go into the Yukon, these are the longer trips, the shorter ones usually do not. I have done both- if interested in trains- the history and engineering are tops- the rail is also superior for scenery compared to the Klondike Highway- despite claims that the routes are the same. They are NOT! :)

the rail is also superior for scenery compared to the Klondike Highway- despite claims that the routes are the same. They are NOT! :)

Thanks BQ! I've seen it printed so often that the routes were the same that I was starting to think it was just my mistake and the rest of the world couldn't be wrong. LOL

BTW-we probably won't do a cruise this summer as we will fly to Juneau for my wifes HS reunion and will spend a couple days there (maybe take the ferry to Skagway or Sitka). BUT--we're anxiously awaiting the 2006 schedules. Just got back from a Caribbean cruise-that's also a nice break in COLD December.

-Monte

Guest enjoycruises

Budget Queen: Thanks for the clarification. Tell me, which do you suggest for a "newbie" to Alaska.....renting a car and going to Emerald Lake or hopping aboard a train? There is just too much to choose from and not enough time or gelt for all.

Budget Queen: Thanks for the clarification. Tell me, which do you suggest for a "newbie" to Alaska.....renting a car and going to Emerald Lake or hopping aboard a train? There is just too much to choose from and not enough time or gelt for all.

Hi!

We took this tour last year while southbound on the Summit. The RR took us to Frasier and then we took a coach into the Yukon (scenic, but not thrilling). We returned via the train after the coach portion. I might suggest another option I took during my first version to Skagway several years ago. We took the train up and back, then took the old streetcar tour. It is touristy - but enjoyable - and affords a nice overlook of the ships at dock. Depending on how long you have in port, you will have time to stroll the town, do some shopping, and just relax. Skagway is pretty laid back.

Have a great cruise!

Mike

05/96 Horizon to Alaska

11/97 Dawn Princess to CAribbean

08/03 Summit Cruisetour to Alaska

12/04 Coral Princess to Panama Canal/Central America

The train goes up one side of the valley from Skagway and the Klondike Highway goes up the other side (you often can see one from the other) and they come together after you hit the Canadian border station (bring a passport if you're going into Canada.) I haven't taken the train so I can't say which is more scenic. The best thing about the car was being able to stop wherever and whenever you wanted, as there are numerous places en route you'll want to do this.

Check out Murray Lundberg's web site at http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/sklondike-photos1.html for a great description of the road itinerary and his stories about the White Pass railroad.

Les

The train goes up one side of the valley from Skagway and the Klondike Highway goes up the other side (you often can see one from the other) and they come together after you hit the Canadian border station (bring a passport if you're going into Canada.) I haven't taken the train so I can't say which is more scenic. The best thing about the car was being able to stop wherever and whenever you wanted, as there are numerous places en route you'll want to do this.

Check out Murray Lundberg's web site at http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/sklondike-photos1.html for a great description of the road itinerary and his stories about the White Pass railroad.

Les

Overall common sights are not the majority, the scenery IS superior from the train. I know, I have done both MANY times with 10 trips to Skagway.

Face it - Alaska isn't a one time destination. :) Anyway- determine your interests- if history, engineering, scenery- then consider the rail, if distance, money, scenery are important then a rental car would probably be the best choice. However you go- head to the Park Service visitor center- especially FIRST if going via car- excellent information, walking tour that will enhance your later travels. http://www.nps.gov/klgo/schedule.htm

Hello everyone, new to this thread. Have been reading all of your posts and I was wondering if anyone knows of a tour that would combine the best of both worlds - the train up to the summit and a 4 wheel drive vehicle return or vice versa. Sailing with Celebrity and they offer a tour that takes the train up to the summit with a bus return. Prefer not doing that.

Thanks

Barry Eisenson (baesue@aol.com)

Hello everyone, new to this thread. Have been reading all of your posts and I was wondering if anyone knows of a tour that would combine the best of both worlds - the train up to the summit and a 4 wheel drive vehicle return or vice versa. Sailing with Celebrity and they offer a tour that takes the train up to the summit with a bus return. Prefer not doing that.

Thanks

Do you mean the jeep tours? These do not get good reviews and you certainly do not need 4WD on the Klondike Highway. Check out Yukon's site for more information on venders.

Neither of the 4x4 tours connects with the train. The Jeep tours are very poor due to both the location they go to (locals take their regular cars there all the time) and the very limited knowledge of their "guides". Frontier Excursions does a 4x4 tour that actually does take you into 4x4-only country above treeline with very knowledgeable guides - http://www.frontierexcursions.com/Yukon4x4.htm

Murray

Hi, we are cruising 5/28/05 and have set up a car to rent in Skagway. After reading, and seeing the milepost pictures posted of the drive, it was obvious that we could not pass up driving out to Emerald Lake. I plan to buy a 1GB memory card for my camera just for that drive alone! I believe we have rented our car from Avis which is a short walk from the pier.

Erik

To make a fully-educated decision, also look at the rail trip guides posted at http://www.explorenorth.com/articles/steamex.html and http://www.daylightimages.com/trackside/wpyr1.html

The highway and railroad are both spectacular trips, each with it's own different attractions. In the case of the railroad, it's history and engineering as well as scenery, while the highway offers variety, possible wildlife, and possibly independence away from the crowds.

Murray

Thanks everyone, the information provided really helped. Now I'm totally confused; however, I think it's all for the better. Anyway, will consider your suggestions. On another note, does anyone have any information on the Glacier Gardens Rainforest Adventure.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

If you rent a car into the Yukon - you can enjoy the unique, beautiful scenery of the Yukon, and Emerald Lake is like nothing you have ever seen before. To boot - if you like riding horses you get a georgous view from the hilltop overlooking Emerald Lake. What you view is Emerald Lake with a backdrop of snow capped mountains behind Emerald Lake. The lady who runs the horseback ride (Emerald Lake ranch) is excellent and knowledgeable about the area. They make frequent stops for pictures during the tour and back to the cookshack for snacks. Hope that helps you out some! Enjoy whatever tours you choose!

To make a fully-educated decision, also look at the rail trip guides posted at http://www.explorenorth.com/articles/steamex.html and http://www.daylightimages.com/trackside/wpyr1.html

The highway and railroad are both spectacular trips, each with it's own different attractions. In the case of the railroad, it's history and engineering as well as scenery, while the highway offers variety, possible wildlife, and possibly independence away from the crowds.

Murray

I think you just made up my mind for me. :)

The "getting away from the crowds for a while" sounds like a great idea.

I am going on 9/17. Does anyone know if bad roads or snow would be a problem at that time?

Does anyone have any suggestions for car rental agencies in Skagway?

Hi,

I have been to Skagway 4x. Two times I did the Princess bus trip to the Yukon which was excellent and 2x did the White Pass RR. I like both but give a slight edge to the bus ride into the Yukon.

If I had the guts, I would rent a car and drive to Emerald Lake - it is such a gorgeous drive up there!

The first time I did the train, it was pouring rain (and foggy) and it felt like a waste of money. I did repeat the train this summer when the weather was gorgeous and I did enjoy the trip.

• 2 weeks later...
If you rent a car into the Yukon - you can enjoy the unique, beautiful scenery of the Yukon, and Emerald Lake is like nothing you have ever seen before. To boot - if you like riding horses you get a georgous view from the hilltop overlooking Emerald Lake. What you view is Emerald Lake with a backdrop of snow capped mountains behind Emerald Lake. The lady who runs the horseback ride (Emerald Lake ranch) is excellent and knowledgeable about the area. They make frequent stops for pictures during the tour and back to the cookshack for snacks. Hope that helps you out some! Enjoy whatever tours you choose!

Hi Winddancer,

I am interested in the horseback ride you mention here - can you give me any additional details/contact information?

The Yukon Horseback Adventure can be booked through southeasttours.com. It's approximately 6 hours including 2 with the horses. They leave at 10:30 a.m. from their office located between 2nd and 3rd streets in downtown skagway near the docks. The cost is $149 per person.

Archived