Any tips for a first time SD traveler?

sedonanative

Hi all,

I am getting very excited for a mediterranean cruise in just a few weeks. The HAL board was very helpful a while back in suggesting things I might not have thought to bring (collapsible shoe rack, etc).

I was wondering if anyone here who was familiar with the cabin layout might have some useful tips for making the best use of the space, or knowledge of things that the cabin definitely does not have (not enough outlets, no room to store an oversized piece of luggage etc etc).

Is there a charge for bikes and water marina equipment? Are there enough pieces to keep everyone entertained?

Does laundry get back to you within a day or so? Any idea about the cost to press a shirt or launder some socks?

Thanks so much

I always take a power strip as the power outlets in the staterooms are few and far between. Luggage size doesn't matter. If it doesn't fit under the bed, your stewardess will take it away and return it when it's time to pack up.

No charge for bikes or water toys. In my experience, they have enough of each so that supply usually exceeds demand. You may have to wait for a few minutes to use a jet ski but that's about it.

Laundry is returned promptly and while I can't recall exact pricing, it's not significantly different than at home.

Hope that helps. If you have more questions, feel free to ask. We've got lots of advice and info to hand out! Hope you have a great cruise.

This will be our first seadream cruise, you answered most of our questions but one, is there proper lighting to read by on the beds? Do you need to reserve tables on deck for dinner, or just show up? Thanks

very nice bedside lighting. Don't assume there will be tables available for dining on deck. Talk to your hotel manager or maitre'd - its one of the first things I do when I board the ship.

have fun and don't forget your review when you are forced to return to the real world.

FT

Don't assume there will be tables available for dining on deck. Talk to your hotel manager or maitre'd - its one of the first things I do when I board the ship. FT

I'm not sure what FT is getting at here. Some nights, dinner is served topside (on deck). On those nights, all you have to do is show up and you'll be seated at a table either alone or with others as you choose. Other nights, it is possible (weather conditions and staffing permitting) to arrange to dine on deck even if the Restaurant is the primary venue for dinner. On those evenings, inquiring with the Hotel Manager or Maitre 'd in advance is the way to go.

I'm not sure what FT is getting at here. Some nights, dinner is served topside (on deck). On those nights, all you have to do is show up and you'll be seated at a table either alone or with others as you choose. Other nights, it is possible (weather conditions and staffing permitting) to arrange to dine on deck even if the Restaurant is the primary venue for dinner. On those evenings, inquiring with the Hotel Manager or Maitre 'd in advance is the way to go.

see why you make the big bucks el jefe --- so precise. and so accurate.

FT

Thanks everyone!

A few more things: pax on other cruise lines always have must-do things as soon as they board--reservations, booking excursions, etc etc but I get the feeling that its not quite as frantic on SD. Still, are there any activities or whatnot that I will miss out on if I don't book right away? It looks like the beds at night is a possibility.

I gather few people spend time in their cabins. It wouldn't be worth it to upgrade to a commodore suite, would it? The suite, being two cabins, is sort of awkward in the first place so I didn't really consider it originally.

The one catch is, this is the greece in the middle of summer--so there is definitely a chance that we will have to spend a lot of midday in doors. More so than a carib cruise in January, I would assume.

Finally, and everything I have read told me this is true, but I still can't wrap my mind around it--people eat THAT casually at dinner? Polo shirts? I frequently wear a blazer, and even though no one has told me to bring it, I still can't fathom not wearing a blazer to dinner unless literally no one else on board will be doing it.

Here are a few more answers:

If it is important to you to have spa appointments on a certain day at a specific time, you should make them the afternoon of embarkation. Same with reserving the large bed up front on Deck 6.

Upgrading to a Commodore is a matter of cost to me. For the right price, it is quite nice to have the extra room which of course comes with an extra bathroom and extra closet space. However, there have been many a cruise when we have survived just fine in a standard Yacht Club stateroom.

Regarding dress at dinner, there will be some men who wear blazers. My suggestion is take it and wear it if you feel comfortable doing so. You won't be out of place in with a polo shirt nor will you be out of place with a blazer. Don't sweat the small things and that is indeed a small thing.

Just returned from 7 days on SD II in the Croatian Islands, and my observation with men's jackets is that each night maybe at most 1 or 2 of the approximately 50 males guests on board wore a jacket. One of the reasons people cruise on SeaDream is because of its informality. Some men do wear button down polo shirts, but on a Med/Greece cruise there are likely to be up to 50% Europeans on board so you will see a lot more stylish summer lightweight button down shirts (that does not translate to a hula shirt!). So, jacket, light weight button down, or a nice polo are fine. T shirts, tuxes, and polos that are worn, ill-fitting, or bearing logos (other than Seadream, of course) are out in my view.

During the day, the predominate shipboard attire is bathing suits and cover ups with the occasional bermuda short/polo shirt thrown in.

The Croatian Islands and coast are beautiful and very historic as most of the ports date back to the Romans or Venetians. It is hot in the summer, but the crew told us it is not as bad as Greece.

Dubrovnik is a little crowded, but worthwhile visiting. If you embark or disembark in Dubrovnik make sure you stay at a hotel within walking distance of the walled city.

We also visited Kotor, Montenegro; Korcula; Hvar; Trogir/Split; and Rovinj before ending in Venice. Each has a slightly different personality. We were fortunate to have Captain Tysse on this cruise, and he made 2 special stops in the late afternoon so we could swim. We had swimming ever day except one (when we were docked in Kotor). It was the best cruise we have ever been on, and a number of other passengers felt the same.

We were fortunate to have Captain Tysse on this cruise.... It was the best cruise we have ever been on, and a number of other passengers felt the same......

Seems to be a common thread here somewhere......

On another note, I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your cruise. Sounds like a great itinerary. I agree wholeheartedly with your suggestion to stay within walking distance of the walled city in Dubrovnik and would even go so far as to suggest making a point of staying at least a couple of days in Dubrovnik, if at all possible. It's a beautiful and fascinating city that has the charm of the other capital cities of Europe but at least as of last year was somewhat less expensive than London, Paris, Rome, etc.

Good to hear cruise is great, booked for June 2010.Can you rec.a hotel in Dubrovnik?Looked at Bellevue, but open to suggestions.Also, is the water choppy there?I havent been on Seadream before, did you miss a balcony?Did ship dock in city centers?Was there time to see Venice, or should I book another day there,have been there once 10 years ago.Booked 2 days in Dubrovnik before cruise,so far. Thanks.Alexandra Cruiser

• 2 weeks later...

The fall crossing is getting closer every day and I'm really looking forward to the SD experience after a number of years of Regent crossings. I know SD is more casual, but are the crossings more or less dressy? Has anyone shipped luggage to the ship. I'm boarding in Lisbon after spending time with my better half in Germany and Austria. I'd love to keep my luggage to a minimum.

Any favorite Lisbon hotels? The rates at Alameda Palace and Four Seasons have escalated out of my pocketbook over the past few years. As a matter of fact, all of the hotels are pricier these days.

Can you order bottles of liquor or wine for the cabin or should I bring that onboard. I like to enjoy a drink in the cabin before dinner and sometimes before retiring. I can pick up a nice bottle of white port or wine in Lisbon if necessary.

Finally, what is the "true" boarding time? Typically on Regent I can board before lunch. Dont want to have to kill time after checking out of my hotel.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

JoAnne

The fall crossing is getting closer every day and I'm really looking forward to the SD experience after a number of years of Regent crossings. I know SD is more casual, but are the crossings more or less dressy? Has anyone shipped luggage to the ship. I'm boarding in Lisbon after spending time with my better half in Germany and Austria. I'd love to keep my luggage to a minimum.

Any favorite Lisbon hotels? The rates at Alameda Palace and Four Seasons have escalated out of my pocketbook over the past few years. As a matter of fact, all of the hotels are pricier these days.

Can you order bottles of liquor or wine for the cabin or should I bring that onboard. I like to enjoy a drink in the cabin before dinner and sometimes before retiring. I can pick up a nice bottle of white port or wine in Lisbon if necessary.

Finally, what is the "true" boarding time? Typically on Regent I can board before lunch. Dont want to have to kill time after checking out of my hotel.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

JoAnne

Hi JoAnne:

I am no help on Lisbon hotels but as far as a bottle in the room, we have never had a problem bringing bottles on board. It is my understanding, even though all the drinks are included (except super premium brands) if you order a bottle for your cabin, it will cost extra. The cabins are only a few steps from the bars so we (I) usually go fetch while we are dressing for dinner. As far as boarding, 2:00pm is it. We have never been allowed on earlier but also have never had to wait past 2:00Pm. As soon as you can after you are cleared to your cabin, reserve any shore excursions or spa times with the Concierge. That way you will be reasonably sure to get your times/trips. One more thing, we always donate to the Crew Fund at the end of the trip. You will never be asked or even made aware of such a fund but the crew, IMHO, really makes the experience. Amount is up to you as is the giving in the first place. I assure you no one will treat you any differently if you do not contribute. It was our third SD trip before we were told of it. Have a great trip.

PS: We always travel in carry ons, even to Europe. We are firm belivevers in the 2 types of luggage: "carry on" and "lost". SeaDream has good laundry/dry cleaning available on board if you need it.

Jim.

Archived