Email from RCI to us about changes in Diamond Program on our upcoming Jewel Cruise

We are sailing on Liberty on 9/12 and got the same email. The other day I was on an important call and got beep for an incoming call which I could not click over to. When I hung up, I saw it was Royal Carib calling. What did they want??? So I tried to call the number back, talked to someone in customer service. She couldn't find any record of a call. I'm like, did they what to upgrade me ??? (no sence of humor on this lady),she says no, they would contact your TA.. They never called back. Any one have any ideas?

We got a call a few weeks ago from someone at RCL, to wish us a wonderful cruise that is coming up next week. I think they were maybe calling you to do the same. It was nice to have their good wishes, we were hoping it was the Upgrade Fairy.........:D

We have not received the email yet. But will find out how it will work as we will be on Monarch over Labor Day so this will be the first time on that ship for the new changes. So we will find out if they have the parties in the lounge at night for those of us that are Diamonds. Since they never had that before on the small ships, it will be an added plus for the little cruises.

Luckily our next big ship is Oasis so we will have a DL and after that we will be D+ for our next big ship, so unless more changes happen, we will have access to the CL on any other cruises we take.

I spoke with C&A today and asked about the sodas. They were not aware of the recent decision. I REALLY hope the OP was correct. It would be great.

I am the one referred to in the post........I called C&A and talked to Chris, a male emlpoyee, at 4:00pm.

He said "they had been inundated with phone calls" from non drinkers and had, in fact, modified the policy today, meaning yesterday.

I believe what he told me and expect nothing different on out B2B Enchanment leaving Aug 31st.

I remember when they made the category changes on Celebrity. It used to be a $35 lifetime membership fee and I believe everyone was offered the same (meager) perks.

Once they instituted levels of loyalty and made it free, those with under 5 cruise points became Classic "Founder" members and new members who followerd became just Classic, with less benefits.

How about Diamond Founder; we could just keep what we have and new Diamond would have the "new" perks? That would work for me! :)

One of my favorite "activities" is being on my balcony when it gets close to leaving a port and watching the people make a run for the gangplank.

If I was cruising after September 1st, I think instead of watching from my balcony at embarkation, I would be down by the Purser's desk listening to the Diamond passengers who have not gotten the word and wondering where their concierge lounge key is (lol).

I suspect the Cruise Critic boards will be lively come September 8th when the first batch of "discarded Diamonds" get off the ships.

Tucker in Texas

I think I'd rather stay on our balcony :) We prefer to walk the other way when a stranger wastes time being negative and fail to see the entertainment factor in it. Gee, maybe that's why I keep scanning through the channels on TV and skip "reality" TV.

We missed our one and only opportunity to visit the CL, we were eligible on our last cruise and instead chose to stay with our family. Oh, well, won't get our free drinks after all :o. Pity, it could have saved us about $50-75 on our next little cruise. Now we have to wait a couple more years, hopefully by the time we reach D+ they don't eliminate this perks again :p

In reality, we don't cruise for the perks, but for the relaxation and being at sea. While the perks are nice, they are not the make or break decision for us. We look forward to cruising on RCI and other lines in the future, perks or not.

Now I KNOW I'll be flamed for this but here goes anyway! First off, I am a diamond member, have been sailing Royal since we first started cruising in 1999. We have always sailed in a balcony cabin, live in Pa. and therefore have to fly to the ports. Point here is that we didin't get our diamond status in any bargin way. Nice for those living close to a port to cruise more frequently and earn the points faster, but that's not us! I'm sure there are many members all across the country that are in the same boat, no pun intended, as us. What frustrates me is that a first time cruiser that is staying in a suite gets all the benefits of the lounge that We now are not "qualified" for. I'm sure I've spent more money with Royal than many of those cruisers. My next cruise will be number 18, maybe I should take some quicky 3 day cruises to move up to D+ faster!

Perhaps you have spent more money with RCI over the years, but the suite guests can pay $1000-3000 more per person than the balcony guests. If you spent that much more for the same cruise, would you not expect a few perks?

I'm not particularly pleased about the loss of the few little perks, but like other things in life can choose not to allow it to make me unhappy or frustrated. Life goes on, even if you have to pay for your own cocktails.

. . . The CL was over crowded and they did the right thing for their most valued customers who can still use the CL. . . .

I'm soooo tired of seeing this blather. It was never about the "crowds". When it became "a little tight" in the CL, they just opened an auxiliary lounge to handle the overflow. Now, however, it is known as the "Diamond Party" area. This is, and has always been, about taking away a benefit, promised and earned by many of us, and charging for something that was free before. The same thing is happening to the "Captain's Party". Charging for drinks is unconscionable. I suspect those same people who said the CL wasn't about the drinks but rather the companionship, will still avoid the party now that the drinks aren't free.

. . . How about Diamond Founder; we could just keep what we have and new Diamond would have the "new" perks? That would work for me!

Good luck with that. It was mentioned by many people when this whole fiasco started and completely ignored by RCCL Management (if that's the right word?)

. . . My next cruise will be number 18, maybe I should take some quicky 3 day cruises to move up to D+ faster!

It's been done by many others. If you live close to a port, and have the time and money, you should so it.

Now I KNOW I'll be flamed for this but here goes anyway! First off, I am a diamond member, have been sailing Royal since we first started cruising in 1999. We have always sailed in a balcony cabin, live in Pa. and therefore have to fly to the ports. Point here is that we didin't get our diamond status in any bargin way. Nice for those living close to a port to cruise more frequently and earn the points faster, but that's not us! I'm sure there are many members all across the country that are in the same boat, no pun intended, as us. What frustrates me is that a first time cruiser that is staying in a suite gets all the benefits of the lounge that We now are not "qualified" for. I'm sure I've spent more money with Royal than many of those cruisers. My next cruise will be number 18, maybe I should take some quicky 3 day cruises to move up to D+ faster!

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. It just appeared to me you didn't feel suite cruisers were entitled to any perks. One of the perks to many suites in hotels is the concierge, which is what the C/L is all about.

Too much reading between the lines on my part :o

RCI is trying to put the monster it created back into the box. It sounds as if they did try with the cocktail party event, drinks at a discount...it just isn't enough for many people. I'm starting to re-think even going to one of these events, if we have to listen to complaining about the reductions. Along with staying on our balcony and not listening to people at Guest Relations ;)

When we're on vacation we prefer to leave any unhappiness or life frustrations behind, we can pick them back up again once we disembark.

Happy ks, No offense taken. Possibly my use of the word frstrates was a bit stronger than intended. I also leave concerns behind when on vacation and ILOVE to cruise! Royal is my line of choice and I intend to stay with them. This is a discussion board though and I was just adding my bit to the discussion. To those that say that suite people pay more and are therefore entitled to more, doesn't it follow then that people that stay in balcony cabins are entitled to more than those in inside rooms?

mpbmark, I don't live close to a port, I live in Pa. and have to fly to ports. That's part of my point and I guess I'm not expressing it very well. We have been loyal Royal passengers and are having our benifits cut in order to make room for first time royal cruisers that may never be back! Would be different if the benifits had never been there, but to have them and then lose them is like a slap in the face!

Apparently they were inundated with phone calls about that because according to C&A, they made a change to the policy today and sodas will also be available at no charge in addition to wine and champagne.

Yes! I was hoping they would change this.

I'm looking forward to the changes, from what I've read it seems that the Diamond event will be fleet wide. Which means the ships w/o a lounge will start having something.

I frequent the MOS and now it appears that the 3 and 4 dayers wil have free champagne every evening. That's a big improvement.

It looks as though they are sending that email out to Diamond members who have a cruise coming up shortly... I'm going on a girl's cruise at the end of the month, and my roomie, who is a Diamond member got the email. I'm D+ and did not get the email.

She actually called C&A after receiving it because this is the first we've seen in writing that sodas will fall into the 25% off category, although I think we've all speculated that would be the case since they haven't said it's free.

Apparently they were inundated with phone calls about that because according to C&A, they made a change to the policy today and sodas will also be available at no charge in addition to wine and champagne.

I just received a letter for my Sept. 13th cruise on Freedom, announcing the change in benefits... no email, although they have the information for both. It is 50/50 when I am notified about news.

• 1 month later...
I am Diamond and still do not care. A CL/NO CL will not change my cruise enjoyment.

Barbara, I agree with you but the extras are nice. We did the Majesty of the Seas Labor Day weekend and the breakfast area set aside in the regular dining room was nice. They used one of the small private dining rooms off to the side to house the regular items found in the Concierge Lounge. The waiters also asked if we wanted something off of the regular menu...the first morning I just asked for bacon and that I did receive (a big plate full). The next morning I ordered off the regular menu.

The waiters in the Diamond/Diamond Plus area were so wonderful we did not even open our cereal boxes and/or yogurt tops!

Hope you are enjoying the Fall leaves!

Archived