Email from RCI to us about changes in Diamond Program on our upcoming Jewel Cruise

Thought all of you would like to see the email we just got explaining the changes in the Concierge Lounge/Diamond Program as of 9/1.

As you know, we made changes to our Crown & Anchor® program in

April of this year that will go into effect September 1, 2009.

Here is a summary of our benefit changes:

Diamond lounge access for Freedom of the Seas®, Liberty of

the Seas®, Independence of the Seas®, Oasis of the SeasSM

and Allure of the SeasSM.

º No change: The Diamond lounge on these ships will

continue to be open during regular hours with the

Diamond lounge concierge at your service. On Oasis of

the Seas we may expand to an additional lounge based

on demand.

On our other 17 ships

º Exclusive Nightly Diamond VIP Event will take place

from approximately 5pm to 8:30pm (may vary by ship and

itinerary) in a bar or lounge on every ship. This event will

be announced by your Loyalty Ambassador onboard

through a letter to be placed in your stateroom. We will

offer complimentary wine and champagne and a 'happy

hour' discount of 25 percent off beer, liquor and

fountain drinks.

º An Exclusive Breakfast Area everyday from 8am to 10am

where members can gather and enjoy a continental

breakfast. A dedicated crew member will be available on

select days to address any needs. The exact time and

location will be communicated by the Loyalty

Ambassador onboard.

We now offer either the Diamond Lounge or a Diamond Event on every

ship in our fleet. On ships with a Concierge Lounge, it will be

limited to Diamond Plus and Suite guests.

We appreciate your loyalty to Royal Caribbean and we look forward to

welcoming you back onboard.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact the

Crown & Anchor Society desk at 1-800-526-9723 or through e-mail

at crownandanchor@rccl.com.

Thanks for sharing! Too bad it came in an email......

By snail mail, they could of included a sample of Vaseline..:D:eek::)

Not including a sample is pretty consistent with ongoing RCCL policy of cutting costs no matter who get scr***d. :eek: :rolleyes:

I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how the so-called "Diamond Event" in any way equals what we had before. I love the concierge lounge for the espresso and cappuccino machines. No mention of that perk any more for Diamonds. I do still feel we suddenly became RCI's second class Crown and Anchor members.

I know from reading all of the posts that our Diamond Benefits are changing September 1st.

We thoroughly enjoyed the use of the "secondary" CL on the Explorer in April because it was in Cloud 9 and we enjoyed the sunset each night with our pre-dinner cocktails. An added bonus was the Ice Master, Marik who was so nice and friendly!

We are booked on the Jewel of the Seas in October and have not received the above mentioned email. We know that we will not have the same benefits but it would be nice to have RCI let us know that too.

Just received the same e-mail

Dear

We are looking forward to welcoming you back onboard on September 1, 2009.

We appreciate your continued commitment to Royal Caribbean, and

are working to provide you with a cruise vacation experience that

delivers on our hallmarks of innovation, Gold Anchor Service®

and great destinations.

We are sailing on the Enchantment on August 31, 2009, why are they welcoming us back on September 1. I called C&A and we will have access to the Concierge Lounge for the entire cruise.

It just came this afternoon. I figured we got one because our cruise date is so soon after 9/1. I imagine they'll go out to others as the sail dates get closer.

I can remember people wondering - since most of us hadn't gotten any sort of emails about the changes - if people were going to be in for a rude awakening if they tried to head to the concierge lounge after 9/1 and were turned away. Looks like they are finding the diamonds on the passenger lists and are sending out notification.

My DH will miss the fancy coffee the most too. Maybe there will be machines in the breakfast area. We can hope. Most of my past table mates who'd been in the lounge before dinner would show up at the table with the rest of their wine, so maybe a lot of people will be happy just to partake of the freebies.

Shirl, you are too bad with the vaseline....

P.S. I hadn't received any official word before this either.

Oh YES---We got email today explaining how they tooks away our perks. We leave on Sept. 13 on the Mariner. We have no Diamond Lounge ships from the West Coast. Too costly for us to fly to east coast for a 7 day cruise which we have done many times. And yes we were booked prior to the announcement that we no longer were welcome in the Conciege Lounge. This will be one mess. Do we tip for free drinks (wine) as we must do to when and if we order a coke, beer or mixed drink. This is a very little perk. Twenty five per cent of plus 15% tip. We leave on the mariner on Sept 13th. Should be a very interesting cruise with very unhappy loyal members. The new coupon book only has inter net of value. They of course will be serving their wine that we can purchase for $10 a bottle which means they only play $3.00 at best. I get my last stock benifer this cruise. Love all these sales where if we want to use our balcony discount no others apply. Forget the waiting in line to book on board. No more OBC if you do a balcony. Oh well RCCL just keep nailing the coffen.

One of my favorite "activities" is being on my balcony when it gets close to leaving a port and watching the people make a run for the gangplank.

If I was cruising after September 1st, I think instead of watching from my balcony at embarkation, I would be down by the Purser's desk listening to the Diamond passengers who have not gotten the word and wondering where their concierge lounge key is (lol).

I suspect the Cruise Critic boards will be lively come September 8th when the first batch of "discarded Diamonds" get off the ships.

Tucker in Texas

It looks as though they are sending that email out to Diamond members who have a cruise coming up shortly... I'm going on a girl's cruise at the end of the month, and my roomie, who is a Diamond member got the email. I'm D+ and did not get the email.

She actually called C&A after receiving it because this is the first we've seen in writing that sodas will fall into the 25% off category, although I think we've all speculated that would be the case since they haven't said it's free.

Apparently they were inundated with phone calls about that because according to C&A, they made a change to the policy today and sodas will also be available at no charge in addition to wine and champagne.

Do we tip for free drinks (wine) as we must do to when and if we order a coke, beer or mixed drink. This is a very little perk. Twenty five per cent of plus 15% tip.

Of course you tip the waitstaff for your free drinks.... they are still serving you. 15% of the cost of the drink is actually less than what we normally tip for our free drinks in the overflow lounge.

It looks as though they are sending that email out to Diamond members who have a cruise coming up shortly... I'm going on a girl's cruise at the end of the month, and my roomie, who is a Diamond member got the email. I'm D+ and did not get the email.

She actually called C&A after receiving it because this is the first we've seen in writing that sodas will fall into the 25% off category, although I think we've all speculated that would be the case since they haven't said it's free.

Apparently they were inundated with phone calls about that because according to C&A, they made a change to the policy today and sodas will also be available at no charge in addition to wine and champagne.

Good change. Quick footwork on the part of RC, too. ;)

Okay...At the risk of being flamed...For those of us who cruise on the ships that don't have a CL, the change is an improvement because before there was nothing for Diamond C&A members. At least now there is the "special event" and complimentary wine, champagne and soft drinks. There's a silver lining behind that dark cloud!;)

Just received the same e-mail

Dear

We are looking forward to welcoming you back onboard on September 1, 2009.

We appreciate your continued commitment to Royal Caribbean, and

are working to provide you with a cruise vacation experience that

delivers on our hallmarks of innovation, Gold Anchor Service®

and great destinations.

We are sailing on the Enchantment on August 31, 2009, why are they welcoming us back on September 1. I called C&A and we will have access to the Concierge Lounge for the entire cruise.

We are sailing 8/30, and I got no email. Today I looked online and the wording on the RCCL site was changes "for sailings after September 1, 2009". So I called Crown and Anchor and was told, in no uncertain terms, that the changes would definitely not start until the first cruise that DEPARTS Sept. 1 or later...the rep even went so far as to say they have all be told that is how it will be. Then I see this thread...and I decided to go back to the website. Now the wording is "Changes effective Sept. 1". Hmm.

I really can't imagine them allowing me (we're diamond) CL access for Aug. 30 and 31 and taking away the key after that...it doesn't make sense. Then again, things related to RCCL don't always make sense...much like reps who answer the phone there don't always know what they are talking about...:rolleyes:

I'll probably call again tomorrow, out of curiousity (or because I'm a masochist...who knows), just to see what answer I get on the second try, lol.

We are sailing 8/30, and I got no email. Today I looked online and the wording on the RCCL site was changes "for sailings after September 1, 2009". So I called Crown and Anchor and was told, in no uncertain terms, that the changes would definitely not start until the first cruise that DEPARTS Sept. 1 or later...the rep even went so far as to say they have all be told that is how it will be. Then I see this thread...and I decided to go back to the website. Now the wording is "Changes effective Sept. 1". Hmm.

I really can't imagine them allowing me (we're diamond) CL access for Aug. 30 and 31 and taking away the key after that...it doesn't make sense. Then again, things related to RCCL don't always make sense...much like reps who answer the phone there don't always know what they are talking about...:rolleyes:

I'll probably call again tomorrow, out of curiousity (or because I'm a masochist...who knows), just to see what answer I get on the second try, lol.

For whatever it's worth... we were also told that since the first leg of our cruise leaves 8/31, the Diamond members in our group will all have access to the lounge for the entire cruise.

To Vicki & All: As a lowly Platinum member I certainly empathize with your situation - NOT!!!

Vicki: you know I'm jealous of your "Cruise-of-the-Month" Lifestyle, but you deserve it! Have fun on your next one!

Since they're charging for drinks at the "events", I'm assuming it will be a regular bar setup rather than the spartan (although free!) selection they have in the lounges. That makes it a little better, but I think most people will pay the extra and just go where they want. At least it won't be crowded.

We got it too....funny thing is, we never got the very first one outlying the new changes. :rolleyes: :confused: ;)

Same here. I assumed we received the email b/c we have a cruise at the end of Sept. We never received the original email about the changes either.

One of my favorite "activities" is being on my balcony when it gets close to leaving a port and watching the people make a run for the gangplank.

If I was cruising after September 1st, I think instead of watching from my balcony at embarkation, I would be down by the Purser's desk listening to the Diamond passengers who have not gotten the word and wondering where their concierge lounge key is (lol).

I suspect the Cruise Critic boards will be lively come September 8th when the first batch of "discarded Diamonds" get off the ships.

Tucker in Texas

No kidding. Hanging out by Guest Services could be the best entertainment onboard.:D Not only will they be contending with people not having a CL key, they will be dealing with all of the passengers upset over their coupon books and passengers wanting to use old coupons. I really think I would not want to be working at Guest Services the latter part of 2009!

We are sailing on Liberty on 9/12 and got the same email. The other day I was on an important call and got beep for an incoming call which I could not click over to. When I hung up, I saw it was Royal Carib calling. What did they want??? So I tried to call the number back, talked to someone in customer service. She couldn't find any record of a call. I'm like, did they what to upgrade me ??? (no sence of humor on this lady),she says no, they would contact your TA.. They never called back. Any one have any ideas?

Same here. I assumed we received the email b/c we have a cruise at the end of Sept. We never received the original email about the changes either.

No kidding. Hanging out by Guest Services could be the best entertainment onboard.:D Not only will they be contending with people not having a CL key, they will be dealing with all of the passengers upset over their coupon books and passengers wanting to use old coupons. I really think I would not want to be working at Guest Services the latter part of 2009!

Oh, I don't think that you'll see that much change in their attitude...... :rolleyes:

Okay...At the risk of being flamed...For those of us who cruise on the ships that don't have a CL, the change is an improvement because before there was nothing for Diamond C&A members. At least now there is the "special event" and complimentary wine, champagne and soft drinks. There's a silver lining behind that dark cloud!;)

This is an improvement with these new changes as I see it as well since sometimes we cruise on ships without a D or C lounge, but I think the con's out way the pro's for most people.:) We received an email the first time, but not this time yet and we have a cruise scheduled in September, so I wonder if we'll get one:confused:

I spoke with C&A today and asked about the sodas. They were not aware of the recent decision. I REALLY hope the OP was correct. It would be great.

Oh YES---We got email today explaining how they tooks away our perks. We leave on Sept. 13 on the Mariner. We have no Diamond Lounge ships from the West Coast. Too costly for us to fly to east coast for a 7 day cruise which we have done many times. And yes we were booked prior to the announcement that we no longer were welcome in the Conciege Lounge. This will be one mess. Do we tip for free drinks (wine) as we must do to when and if we order a coke, beer or mixed drink. This is a very little perk. Twenty five per cent of plus 15% tip. We leave on the mariner on Sept 13th. Should be a very interesting cruise with very unhappy loyal members. The new coupon book only has inter net of value. They of course will be serving their wine that we can purchase for $10 a bottle which means they only play $3.00 at best. I get my last stock benifer this cruise. Love all these sales where if we want to use our balcony discount no others apply. Forget the waiting in line to book on board. No more OBC if you do a balcony. Oh well RCCL just keep nailing the coffen.

Since you are so unhappy maybe you need to try a different cruise line.

The CL was over crowded and they did the right thing for their most valued customers who can still use the CL. RCL is a business and needs to be responsive to it's shareholders and make a profit.

Archived