How do you bring liquor home these days?

I Luv Crusin

We are going on the Liberty 10/31. It's been awhile since I've purchased the hard stuff to bring home. I usually check prices at my local ABC store before traveling to make sure I get a good price.

I used to bring it home as carry-on and I guess that's out these days. So how do you bring it home? Does is work to wrap it in bubble wrap in your checked luggage?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

We had each bottle wrapped in cardboard by the place where we bought them, in St. Thomas. A bottle still broke in the suitcase on the flight back.

I have just about decided that the $5-$10 or so you will save on a liter of liquor is just not worth the hassle of bringing it back, and the chance of it breaking. And there are weight limits on bags now.

If you are not flying, that's a different story.

Hi,

We just returned from a 7 day cruise to Bermuda and we purchased 8 bottles of dark rum on the ship. Liter bottles were half of the price of 750 bottles at home. We used one of the wheeling bags from the cruise ship gift shop to bring it home. We drove to the port so we just had to get it from the ship to the parking garage down the street. The bag worked ok but it wasn't the quickest way to travel. It sure was easier than carrying the 8 bottles.

We usually buy our liquor on board. The price of a litre is much cheaper the prices for a 750 ml. For example, a 750 ml of Stoli is about $30.00 in New Orleans and a 1 litre on the ship is $10.00 estimate. We usually buy about 7 bottles of liquor and have never had a problem going through customs. Although, the customs agent did give us a hard time. A relative of mine works in the shipping industry and has friends that are customs agent and he said that they just don't bother with the duty on liquor unless its over $20.00.

If you're flying home - forget it.

It has to be checked baggage, and from what I've seen with baggage handlers throwing luggage to the tarmac from the hold at US airports, I cant see how any packaging would stop breakages.

The TSA are also conducting random searches on luggage, which I have experienced. They bust zippers and locks and lso leave the cases unlocked - so beware, :(

Regards

Davenew

We are going on the Liberty 10/31. It's been awhile since I've purchased the hard stuff to bring home. I usually check prices at my local ABC store before traveling to make sure I get a good price.

I used to bring it home as carry-on and I guess that's out these days. So how do you bring it home? Does is work to wrap it in bubble wrap in your checked luggage?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I usually bring home as much as I can in my tummy :D

If you're flying home - forget it.

It has to be checked baggage, and from what I've seen with baggage handlers throwing luggage to the tarmac from the hold at US airports, I cant see how any packaging would stop breakages.

The TSA are also conducting random searches on luggage, which I have experienced. They bust zippers and locks and lso leave the cases unlocked - so beware, :(

Regards

Davenew

Not exactly true.

Some airlines, Southwest, require it to be checked but there are others that allow you to carry it on. We carried on 2 bottles each last month when returning from CA on United.

Check with your airline before taking your trip.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I leave it in the Carnival box with one of my boyfriends socks around each bottle. I always make sure the box is packed in the middle of our clothes so that it is well padded. Have never had a problem when flying back home.

I leave it in the Carnival box with one of my boyfriends socks around each bottle. I always make sure the box is packed in the middle of our clothes so that it is well padded. Have never had a problem when flying back home.

I do the same, checked bag and never a problem. Also inside the box that Carnival puts it in place a flip flop on either side of the bottle and then wrap with clothes. A crew member on my last cruise told me about the flip flop idea. No problems.

Not exactly true.

Some airlines, Southwest, require it to be checked but there are others that allow you to carry it on. We carried on 2 bottles each last month when returning from CA on United.

Check with your airline before taking your trip.

I don't know of any airline that is breaking TSA regulations and allowing you to go through security with bottles of liquor - unless they are the mini bottles that would fit into the one quart baggie.

Just asked on our cruise at the gift shop what is the easiest way to fly home with it. Carnival sells a bubble wrap that forms to the shape of your bottle for (i think) 99 cents. the guy in the shop had a full bottle of booze in 1 that he dropped on the floor and it just bounced back up. Guess this would be the best way to wrap up the bottles in your luggage.

Since the price of alcohol just went up in Wash. state (state owned stores, and it was already expensive), I'm planning on purchasing a few extra 32oz rumrunner flasks to bring the alcohol back home...less weight without the glass bottles and they will lie a lot flatter. Guess I know what I will be doing the night before we disembark.....LOL!

I live in Canada and our customs regulations will only let us bring in 1 litre each. It has to be in our checked baggage. We always make sure we buy a bottle each because our prices in this province are really expensive. I pay about 25.00 for a 750ml (26 ozer) here and can get a 40 oz for around 13.00 in the States. It pays to do the math!

I do the same, checked bag and never a problem. Also inside the box that Carnival puts it in place a flip flop on either side of the bottle and then wrap with clothes. A crew member on my last cruise told me about the flip flop idea. No problems.

Thanks for the flip flop in the box idea. I think I will be trying that in September. :cool:

We will buy liquor sometimes. We bought some in Barbados at the Malibu Rum Factory. I bring a few of those really large zip lock bags, like the 3 gallon or so size and then we wrap it up in clothes. The flip flop idea is great since I normally bring about 10 pair! Costco has really good prices on liquor so were just gonna get it there next time.

I live in Canada and our customs regulations will only let us bring in 1 litre each. It has to be in our checked baggage. We always make sure we buy a bottle each because our prices in this province are really expensive. I pay about 25.00 for a 750ml (26 ozer) here and can get a 40 oz for around 13.00 in the States. It pays to do the math!

I hear ya :rolleyes:

It's sickening the difference in prices of booze from even Canada to the U.S...I don't know how y'all in the States aren't alcoholics with booze being so cheap...lol :p....so if it's even cheaper on ship and/or in the ports...WOW :eek:

Does anyone know if rum runners are only available for purchase online?

Ditto, and I also use bubble wrap.

Does anyone know if rum runners are only available for purchase online?

I believe they are only online, yes...haven't seen them in stores or anything like them in stores, either. :(

To the OP, I usually pack my liqour purchases in my checked bag...just make sure it is fairly heavy and the baggage handlers won't be able to throw it! ~LOL~

I end up using Rum Runners for most, but will pack some bottles that are more unusual.

I believe they are only online, yes...haven't seen them in stores or anything like them in stores, either. :(

To the OP, I usually pack my liqour purchases in my checked bag...just make sure it is fairly heavy and the baggage handlers won't be able to throw it! ~LOL~

I end up using Rum Runners for most, but will pack some bottles that are more unusual.

I wonder if one of those old fashioned hot water bottles would do the same...lol!

Just curious...what is the on-board selection like? Just basics like vodka, gin, rum, etc. Or, might I find a decent single-malt scotch at a really good price?

The selection of single malts has been poor on all the cruises I have been on, but they do have some top notch blended scotches like JW Blue Label.

We've used a product called WineSkins. You place your bottle inside the bubble-cushioned pack and they are double-sealed. In case of breakage, it won't leak into your suitcase.

We're used at least three times on flights in checked bags without any issues. We do also surround them by sweat shirts or similar to give some additional cushioning.

You can find these online. Made for wine - but think they would hold the 750ml size of liquor.

Archived