can scooters handle Europe's cobblestones?

usavvy2

will the Travelscoot (or any other portable, lightweight scooter) work on Europe's cobblestones? DH's Parkinson's is really slowing him down and I'm afraid that the cane with the seat (Magellan's) isn't gonna be enough for him during our upcoming river cruise. any suggestions (other than stay on the boat)?

I have a travelscoot that I have not had the opportunity to take to Europe yet. However I have been to Europe several times. This is what I have learned. First, a transfer type wheelchair is horrible on cobbles, both for the pusher and the person in the chair. As the person who is seated you bounce over the cobbles. A standard chair is better for that. Since I was walking better the last time we were in Europe I used a rollator with a seat. This worked well except for the fact that I am so slow. However since we used private guides this only effected my husband and he insists this is OK. I also have been afraid to book a river cruise as I have read that there are not only cobbles but steps from the boat up to the cities. I would like to know how this goes for you. Many of those itineraries are very attractive.

They can handle cobble stones but not with comfort and sometimes will stick between cobbles. As the poster above has noted, many of the river cruise stops have steps to go up from the boat, depending on the river stage and others it is just a sloping levee and very difficult for a scooter, or a wheelchair for that matter. We have done a lot of research on river cruises because we use scooter and manual wheelchair and have decided, much as we might like to do one, they are just not practical for us:)

... I also have been afraid to book a river cruise as I have read that there are not only cobbles but steps from the boat up to the cities. I would like to know how this goes for you. Many of those itineraries are very attractive.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm concerned about the travelscoot's wheel size on the cobbles. Yep, I'm a little concerned about the steps from the boat to the shore - will they be "slick" from algae, will they have any type of railing, etc. I am also concerned about how one walks across one boat onto another boat to make it to shore!

I will check it out and we might just wind up being the last ones off the boat so we can take our time navigating. We depart 9/25 return 10/7 so I'll report when I get back! Will take pix that one with these concerns can understand... not necessarily scenic but helps one see what the gaps are etc.

They can handle cobble stones but not with comfort and sometimes will stick between cobbles. As the poster above has noted, many of the river cruise stops have steps to go up from the boat, depending on the river stage and others it is just a sloping levee and very difficult for a scooter, or a wheelchair for that matter. We have done a lot of research on river cruises because we use scooter and manual wheelchair and have decided, much as we might like to do one, they are just not practical for us:)

Thanks for the post. I was wondering about the comfort of a travel scooter with those cobbles b/c the wheels don't look that big (bigger is better). As an able bodied companion, I'll do what I have to so as to ensure that DH can enjoy the trip. He has some slowness, some balance problems, and freezing issues as well. He can climb stairs - not more than 1/2 a flight at a time but as I posted previously, I'm concerned there might be algae on the stairs or no handrail. I guess I'll go with the flow - worst case scenario is that we'll stay on the boat and have a nice leisurely boat trip up/down the Danube! I figure as long as he doesn't fall in the drink (Danube), we'll treat it as a success!

Stay tuned, story in the future.

Grin, we do have scooters in Europe, including travel ones. That probably answers your questions, right? ;) It might not be the most comfortable, but neither will walking on cobblestones will be. Try them once while wearing killerheels; YEIKS!

One thing you might run into is the difference in mindset. You are used to a country that uses other materials (as you already noted) and is a lot 'newer'. New buildings and cities offer the great oppertunity to make stuff accessible from the get go. Europe on the other hand, is an old lady. Because of that, many of the old architectural stuff is less accessible or not accessible at all.

On a day to day base? I can manage great in for instance Amsterdam. But for my US counterpart, it might take some getting used to. First of all the cobble stones. Than there are metro tracks right in your path. Always nice if you aren't paying attention for them. ;) Curb cuts can be fewer than in the US. Nothing that will leave you stuck in a city until somebody rescues you, but it can be less. I just turn a corner and find one there or use the road instead of the curb (note; NOT wise to do on idiotic roads, so use judgment!). Problem solved. :)

And then of course there are always the 'just a few steps'. Grin. Some walking folks just don't get it.

will the Travelscoot (or any other portable, lightweight scooter) work on Europe's cobblestones? DH's Parkinson's is really slowing him down and I'm afraid that the cane with the seat (Magellan's) isn't gonna be enough for him during our upcoming river cruise. any suggestions (other than stay on the boat)?

Something to consider:

The Travelscoot and most travel scooters have solid rubber tires that offer no shock cushioning . Particularly on cobblestones. Scooters with pneumatic tires ( a tire made of reinforced rubber filled with compressed air) will provide a little more comfortable ride on cobblestons. Regardless of what type of tires, you should ride at a slower speed than if on level ground .

I absolutely hate trying to walk on cobblestones! But my 2nd pet hate in Europe is the lack of handrails on many flights of steps.

I was just looking at a brochure for a Smithsonian tour that included a river cruise. The information included the words:

Must be able to climb and descend stairs without handrails.

I've walked over a great deal of the world, but those days are past. Now I read the small print in travel information.

...I was just looking at a brochure for a Smithsonian tour that included a river cruise. The information included the words:

Must be able to climb and descend stairs without handrails.

I've walked over a great deal of the world, but those days are past. Now I read the small print in travel information.

yes, I've seen that statement as well. You can just call me Mrs.Handrail! :cool: If that doesn't work, we'll enjoy each other's company on the boat while others tour the towns!

~~~~~~~~~~~

thanks everyone for all of the information; it is very helpful!

for those who might be interested, the official stance for Avalon Waterways re travelers who need special assistance:

Travelers Who Need Special Assistance On Tours and/or Cruise:

You must report any disability requiring special attention while on tour or on cruise to Avalon Waterways at the time the reservation is made. Avalon Waterways will make reasonable attempts to accommodate the special needs of disabled travelers, but is not responsible in the event it is unable to do so nor is it responsible for any denial of services by air carriers, hotels, restaurants, or other independent suppliers. The Americans with Disabilities Act is only applicable within the United States and facilities for disabled individuals are limited outside its borders. Most transportation services, including the touring motorcoach, are not equipped with wheelchair ramps. We regret that we cannot provide individual assistance to a vacation participant for walking, dining, getting on and off motorcoaches and other vehicles, or other personal needs. A qualified and physically able companion must accompany travelers who need such assistance and must assume full responsibility for their well being.

Although some of our ships have elevators, many of our small ships (e.g.river cruise vessels) do not. Passengers requiring ship elevators should inquire before making reservations. Additionally, most stateroom doors and restrooms are not wide enough to allow access by standard wheelchairs, and bathrooms and other doorways may be fitted with coamings. For safety reasons, passengers in wheelchairs cannot be carried on ramps in ports where the ship is at anchor. Motorized scooters are not typically suitable on international tours or river cruises.

My husband and I just had a discussion about this. We each have problems and can't help each other very much. Getting older is no picnic!

He is not allowed to carry luggage or lift anything heavy. I have to do it all. He is certainly not allowed to lift me! We muddle along but have to plan our trips very carefully.

I can go upstairs all day long but struggle with going downstairs or walking down hills.

Only a year ago I was doing very serious walks with few issues. A year can make a huge difference.

My husband and I just had a discussion about this. We each have problems and can't help each other very much. Getting older is no picnic! He is not allowed to carry luggage or lift anything heavy. I have to do it all. He is certainly not allowed to lift me! We muddle along but have to plan our trips very carefully. I can go upstairs all day long but struggle with going downstairs or walking down hills.

I can certainly relate. On our most recent trip, I decided we needed to skinny down to 1 checked bag and 1 carryon plus a small backpack b'c I couldn't maneuver two checked bags myself plus the carryon! I rethink our luggage - what can I get away with washing in the sink, how can I make DH's shoes lighter & less space hogging, do we really need to pack ----- you name it as each oz. contributes to the overall weight.

With back problems of my own and traveling on business with just a carryon, one of the best things I invested in was a carryon bag that had 4 wheels instead of 2. Putting the weight of the carryon against the 2 wheel model and then holding that in my hand, I could feel my shoulder and back straining under the weight of the carryon last fall. I thought the 4 wheel Samsonite "spinner" carryon was too much money but was desperate for a solution. I have to say that it is a joy! DH even held it next to the wheelchair while I pushed him in ATL last week. No effort! Then I can put the backpack on top of that with the things I need at my seat on the plane. Personally I have the Samsonite Silhouette but there are other brands and models. When talking to the store manager, she recommended only the carryon; she said the larger bags come back in with the wheels busted off from the luggage hold so they stopped carrying the bigger bags with 4 wheels. (So I crossed that one off my list!)

• 1 month later...

I have used the Shoprider Scootie all over Europe and just used Drive Medical's Phoenix 3 on a Baltic Sea cruise. The cobblestones can be brutal and very tiresome, but both scooters made it. My friend used a Golden Technologies Buzz Around scooter and it weathered the cobblestones as well. These scooters have 8" solid rubber tires.

The roughest cobblestones that I have encountered were in Tallin, Estonia.

When your trip is finished, check for loose or missing screws or nuts and bolts.

I discovered the 4-wheel "spinner" luggage several years ago and it has made luggage handling so much easier, but still tough to maneuver over cobblestones, train tracks, cracked sidewalks and curb lips. This year, I had a small trolley fitted to the back my scooter that my suitcase sits on and is bungied to the scooter arms. It worked like a charm and transported my luggage over the cobblestones with no effort on my part! The trolley wheels did take a beating, however! It is hinged and folds up against the rear of the scooter when not in use. Only problem with this trolley is that it will require modification to be used on any other scooter...the "hitch", so to speak, is welded on to the scooter frame.

very interested in this issue as my husband[47] has rheumatoid arthritis and can't walk very far.we've just returned from a mediterranean cruise where we managed fairly well with taxis and private tours.However the long ramps to get on and off the ship were a killer!We are going to do a Baltic cruise next year and I'm trying to research how to make shore excursions as easy as possible.I've found a website called care vacations which hires wheelchairs/mobility scooters but don't know whether they would be more hassle than help in some of the ports-any advice?

very interested in this issue as my husband[47] has rheumatoid arthritis and can't walk very far.we've just returned from a mediterranean cruise where we managed fairly well with taxis and private tours.However the long ramps to get on and off the ship were a killer!We are going to do a Baltic cruise next year and I'm trying to research how to make shore excursions as easy as possible.I've found a website called care vacations which hires wheelchairs/mobility scooters but don't know whether they would be more hassle than help in some of the ports-any advice?

First, you'll need an accessible cabin for your Baltic cruise. You won't fit a scooter in a regular cabin. I used CareVacations for a British Isles cruise and it worked perfectly. The cruise departed from Harwich and the scooter was waiting for me in the cabin.

As for scooters on cobblestones, I would not recommend the three wheeled ones as they are not nearly as stable as the four wheeled ones. And I don't think the lightweight TravelScoot would work at all in some cities in Europe. They are just not sturdy enough.

• 8 months later...

You didn't mention which cruise line you're using to do the Baltic cruise. Some cruise lines will only permit certain vendors aboard with power chairs and scooters.

It's not clear to me whether you're asking if CareVacations "is more of a hassle" or if the mobility devices are more of a hassle. I've used CareVacations in the past and found them reliable.

As for wheelchairs and such -- as one European poster noted, folks in Europe use power chairs and scooters, too!, although I didn't see any "travel" chairs when we spent a week in Oslo, in April. I used my manual chair, and while there were a few times when I got stuck, generally if I took my time and looked where I was going before I got there -- and sometimes went the long-way-round to do it..I got to where I wanted to go.

Actually Oslo is a pretty accessible city -- lots of "power doors" to get into stores, for example -- just pull up and the door opens. And curb cuts, if not at every corner, then just around the corner and then you have to go diagonally across. And drivers are required to stop for pedestrians..even "slow walkers"...and they do.

We're planning another European adventure, and I'm sure it won't seem as conveniet as what we experience here in the US and Canada..but we'll manage! ;)

Further to what others have already stated, the Cruise Excurisions tours buses generally do not have wheelchair/scooter lifts. So you'll most likely have to research private tours. A collapsable wheelchair or rollator with a seat is much better for touring.

• 2 weeks later...

Darcie,

I'm wondering why you say the TravelScoot isn't sturdy? I'm replying to your post because I wouldn't want folks who are here looking for scooter advice to get the wrong idea about the TravelScoot. I'm over 400 lbs., and have been using mine almost daily for 16 months and I can assure you that it's VERY sturdy.

The TravelScoot is made from aircraft grade aluminum and while its looks might be deceiving, it's a workhorse. Have you ever gotten to ride one? I think you'd be amazed.

Elizabeth

First, you'll need an accessible cabin for your Baltic cruise. You won't fit a scooter in a regular cabin. I used CareVacations for a British Isles cruise and it worked perfectly. The cruise departed from Harwich and the scooter was waiting for me in the cabin.

As for scooters on cobblestones, I would not recommend the three wheeled ones as they are not nearly as stable as the four wheeled ones. And I don't think the lightweight TravelScoot would work at all in some cities in Europe. They are just not sturdy enough.

I signed up for a scooter from care vacations for an Alaska cruise this month. Booking was very easy, I'll let you know how it all turned out later when I'm back.

I did not know that Alaska was part of Europe. Alaska is covered by ADA; Europe is not.

DON

Because of the smallish front wheel, light weight and 3 wheeled design the Travelscoot is not very functional on any 'bumps' over an inch. So, on tight cobbles it's fine but rough laid cobbles will be difficult both from a balance and battery life point of view.

In other ways its the best. If you need to lift it up a non sloped curb, stairs etc. its the lightest and it will fold up in to the smallest space of any scooter. You can also put your carry on suitcase on the scooter sideways under the seat. That helps free hands for your 'helper' through airports etc.

I just try to avoid bumps where possible but travel on cobbled streets especially in old town europe must be minimized. Sidewalks are usually better.

Let me know if you have any other Travelscoot questions.

Archived