Do you take multple memory cards for your camera?

Delta Dear

I take multiple cards - and deliberately change cards at certain points during the vacation. That way if one card goes bad for some reason, I haven't lost the entire vacation's worth of pictures.

I got home from Peru yesterday and my son took my camera over to the computer and set it up to download. As I was unpacking, I mentioned to him that I had another card, to which he replied, 'Yeah, I know.' When I asked how he knew, he grinned and said, 'You always do it that way!'

I'm taking two 4 gb cards and a couple of old 128 mb cards for my 10 mpixel camera. SD cards are tiny and don't take up any space even in the little plastic case. It's rare, but SD cards do go bad from time to time too.

I generally take pics in jpeg mode at 3 mpixels, and around 4000 pics can fit on a 4 gb card. I expect to only need one card in terms of space, but it's a good idea to spread the pics around on different card in case one gets lost or damaged. I got in this habit after almost losing hundreds of great pics from a Boy Scout hike at Shiloh National Battlefield with my 12 y/o. (Got lucky and was able to save them with recovery software)

We are going on the Carnival Legend in Feb. 2010, a 7 day cruise. I know I will take lots of pictures. A sister cruiser said she is taking her laptop so she can clear the cards each night.

I wonder how many cards I need to take, if I don't plan to take my laptop. I'm not sure I want to be bothered with it.

Are there any other devises for downloading pictures from the cards while on a vacation like that?

We always take one extra card but we also take 2 cameras just in case.

I always take 2 or 3 memory cards, just in case. Also, before our next cruise, I want to get a spare battery for the camera. When we were in the French Polynesian Islands, I took lots of pictures, and some movie shots, and sometimes by late day, the camera battery would wear down, and I was done, until I could get it recharged.

I believe you can have your pictures put on a CD at the photo counter when you know a card is full. This is probaly an overnight procedure.Then you only need one other card. My card takes over 300 pictures. Three big cards should be enough.

There have been too many reports of people coming back with blank cds and memory cards for me to take a chance of doing this. It cost more to have the cd burned then buying extra cards.

Extra cards are so inexpensive.

Why waste time on a cruise downloading uploading copying when you can have all the extra cards for the cost of a couple of drinks....

the size of card you need is whether your camera takes large mega pixel formats. the larger the format the larger print you can make. Most of the time you don't use the largest format but I also take movies so for a week I'll bring 2-4 4 gig cards....

Depending on the cruise I usually take 6-8 1GB memory cards. I prefer the 1 GB because should one of my cards suddenly get corrupted I would lose a much smaller number of pics than if I had all my pics on a 4 or 8GB card. I have also been known to use a different card for each port of call for the same reason. Rather lose one port than the entire trip!

Thanks, since I have a simple Canon point and shoot digital, my needs are simple. I have never really been sure of how many images you can fit on one card. I never use the movie function, so I'll just take multiple cards. I like the idea of a different card for each port. Thanks for all the wonderful advice.

Thanks, since I have a simple Canon point and shoot digital, my needs are simple. I have never really been sure of how many images you can fit on one card. I never use the movie function, so I'll just take multiple cards. I like the idea of a different card for each port. Thanks for all the wonderful advice.

I have three canons. I suggest playing with the movie function to see how it works...see for example

I always take two memory cards and my laptop. My family tells me that I take a lot of pictures.. I end up loading the memory cards onto my laptop every two days or so.

If you have a camera with a proprietary battery, it's more important to remember your charger! You can buy new memory cards if you run out of space, but you'll have trouble finding the right charger for your camera!

I think it's always good to break your photos up over several cards. That way if one card gets corrupted or damaged, you're not out ALL your vacation photos. I will probably put my 6GB in my Nikon D200 (which shoots 10MP RAW and takes up loads of room) and my 4GB in my point and shoot. And that will be way more room than I need.

Depending on the cruise I usually take 6-8 1GB memory cards. I prefer the 1 GB because should one of my cards suddenly get corrupted I would lose a much smaller number of pics than if I had all my pics on a 4 or 8GB card. I have also been known to use a different card for each port of call for the same reason. Rather lose one port than the entire trip!

I like that idea!

We are going on the Carnival Legend in Feb. 2010, a 7 day cruise. I know I will take lots of pictures. A sister cruiser said she is taking her laptop so she can clear the cards each night.

I wonder how many cards I need to take, if I don't plan to take my laptop. I'm not sure I want to be bothered with it.

Are there any other devises for downloading pictures from the cards while on a vacation like that?

The price of memory cards has come down so far, even as the storage size of the cards has greatly increased!

To avoid the hassle of carting the laptop along, just run over to Walmart and buy a 2-pack of memory cards for under $15 and use them exclusively for the cruise!

That way you can take your time editing, sorting, and printing them when you get back home. They are so easy to carry that most camera cases have a little pocket that holds a bunch of them!

HAVE FUN!

I took eight 2 gig cards on our 7-day Mariner cruise (plus 2 days of Disneyland) earlier this month. Yes, EIGHT. I have unfortunately learned from experience on this very cruise 4 years ago to switch out cards from my camera after every port. You see, my camera was "lost" in the back of a taxi on our last port (PV) and I had one large card in my camera that held EVERY picture I had taken up until that point :(. Almost ruined my cruise because I LOVE my pictures. To be able to view them again after the cruise is literally priceless. But this time everything worked out great! Got my beautiful pictures all the way home to show everyone, and they are separated by port, so I know which day they were taken (a bonus!).

And, if you were wondering, I used 7 out of 8 memory cards (I also do alot of video) and a couple are completely full. I found packages of four 2 gig cards at Costco for really cheap, and it was so nice not to have to spend time downloading when I just wanted to chill by the pool :cool:.

P.S. Do NOT keep your cards with your camera (I put them in the safe every night). If you lose the camera with the case.....well, you know.......

I use multiple cards. Not too large as don't want to risk loosing too many pictures if something goes wrong.

I also use a Wolverine ESP (http://www.wolverinedata.com/index.php/site/quicklinks/C13/). Its essentally a portable hard disk that has a full color lcd and multiple card readers.

At the end of the day I just pop the cards into the ESP and download them to the hard disk.

Its much less bulky than a laptop or a netbook, and can be used as a media player (audio and video).

I am a big believer in multiple cards.

I am also a big believer in smaller cards versus larger ones.

I could very easily handle all of my needs with one 4GB card but if it goes bad, I lose everything. Having several cards to store all my images on means that I do not lose everything if one card goes bad.

Mike

Yes, that is why I also travel with multiple cards and switch them out regularly. I would be so upset if there was an accidnet with my camera and I lost pictures. I'd rather lose some then rely on one card for all of my photo storage. I think it is the smart thing to do when you travel.

Also remember not all cameras will be accept the larger GB cards. I think mine can only us up to 2 GB. Just a thought,because I didn't know that till just this last year.

Not true. It depends on the resolution of your camera. If I'm taking high quality pictures, my 2G cards will only hold 250 pictures each. If I'm shooting in RAW, it's even less than that, but I don't intend to shoot in RAW unless I have a shot I intend to blow up. So that's 1000 pics with the four cards I'm bringing. For a 12 day, port-intensive European cruise, I don't think that's enough. We're going to be in 11 different cities, and I may never get back there again. :cool:

I totally agree. I always shoot RAW and with a 1G card I only get about 100 shots. I usually travel with 2 1G and 2 2G cards and my laptop. I download my shots every night. I did the 10 night Scandinavia / Russia cruise and took over 2600 shots, eventually narrowing them down to 1600 post-cruise to print. Glad I had the option and you are so right, you may never get there again. But I now have a 6 volume scrapbook set of my trip that is priceless.

Archived