Different Time of Year Cruising Question

kerri1jill

We have booked a cruise on RCCL Liberty of the Seas for January 10th, 2009. I have never cruised this time of the year. Can you more experienced cruisers tell me normally how crowded the ships are and are there less kids during that time of Season. Our group of 4, are really looking forward to a nice relaxing cruise and the last cruise we went on, Carnival back in Late February-Early March, was packed full of kids that didn't seem to be watched by their parents. I love children, but have raised my own and really look forward to our vacations now where we don't have to worry about anyone and can really relax.

My last cruise was in mid-January. There were very few children onboard, definitely less than 50. The kids you will encounter this time of year are usually home-schoolers and children under 5. I specifically cruise during non-school holidays because there are far less children onboard.

That time in January should be calmer than you experienced in March, but you've booked a ship that is targeting families with small children and teens. There will be kids on board but there should be areas that are less popular with kids or teens, but that won't be around the main pool.

If you really want to hit the highest probability of fewer kids, cruises longer than 7 days (usually 12-14 works without being one of the really long ones) and while school is in. Keep in mind that schools around the US have breaks at different times, and then you've got families who come from Europe and GB, etc, and there holiday schedules vary widely.

We went on our first winter cruise this past January. We went the first week of January while our college age children were still on Christmas vacation. There were alot of college students on our cruise with their families and some small children but ALOT less than summer cruises have been. Alot of the children on our cruise were from Brazil. I believe they were on summer vacation. You probably won't have the college students since they will be back in school by the 2nd week of January. I love children and don't mind cruises with alot of children. When we go on our next cruise in January, it will be nice having the water park on Carnival Dream with not as many young children.

We have booked a cruise on RCCL Liberty of the Seas for January 10th, 2009. I have never cruised this time of the year. Can you more experienced cruisers tell me normally how crowded the ships are and are there less kids during that time of Season. Our group of 4, are really looking forward to a nice relaxing cruise and the last cruise we went on, Carnival back in Late February-Early March, was packed full of kids that didn't seem to be watched by their parents. I love children, but have raised my own and really look forward to our vacations now where we don't have to worry about anyone and can really relax.

We often cruise in January and it is generally quieter. We are on the same cruise; prices are excellent. Come and join our Roll Call. Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=959234

Kathy:)

We cruise at that time due to we have been cruising to celebrate our anniversary. There are children but not at all like the summer months I am sure. There are so many activities for kids of all ages that you hardly notice. The younger kids probably 4-8 years old did a preshow one evening and they were so cute and many of them I never saw before or after the show. Have a great time

Archived