How to Request Dining Change

kerri1jill

Just wondering exactly how to go about getting your table changed in the dining room if you would rather be by the window or something. Last cruise, we kind of got stuck right by the front entrance and no view at all other than people walking down the stairs. I've seen where people had talked about getting their table location changed, but not sure how to go about doing it. Do you ask where your table is located when you check in at port, or is this something you take care of in the dining room the first night. I would hate to be seated somewhere and then asked to be changed, that would be rude the people who are also assigned at your table.

As soon as you board and can get to your cabin, look at your assigned table number and then go down to the dining room and check out the location. If it doesn't meet your standards, go to the maitre'd and discuss your situation. Chances are rather small that you'll get exactly what you want, especially if the ship if full. You can try and get your table changed, but don't be surprised if they can't or won't change your table. It can be a huge hassle to shuffle everyone who asks for a table change.

Go to the dining room where the maitre'd is early in the afternoon of embarkation day and ask to see where your table is located. If you aren't satisfied, ask to be changed at that time. If they tell you to wait until the next day, go to dinner at your assigned table and meet the other folks assigned there. You might find them so delightful that you won't want to change. If not, just tell them that you are hoping to get a seat by a window. They will understand.

Also, keep in mind that often they have the drapes closed so you can't see out of the window anyway. If you sail in the fall or winter, it will be dark, so nothing to be seen. If you have late seating, also dark out. EM

Beware of just going into the dining room and finding your table without double checking with the maitre'd. I did this on a Royal Caribbean cruise, and when I went into the dining room early in the afternoon I saw that the table was exactly what I had wanted. A table for two. I didn't really care where it was. Then when we went to dinner that night, we were walked by that table, and were seated at a table for 6. We were seated with a family of 4 people, and they were the RUDEST people we had ever met. I went to the maitre'd right after the meal had finished and I explained the situition to him. He didnt know why the table had changed, and he said that he couldnt move us. We never went back to the MDR for the entire 7 night cruise, and it was a real downer on the entire trip. My advice to you is this: Talk to maitre'd right when you board, and confirm that the table is to your liking. If you will not be satisfied with what you are assigned, beg and plead to be switched. Either that, or do what I did and eat at the specialty restaurants and the buffet for the rest of the week.

I would not wait until you board the ship. Depending on the fill of the ship by then it might be too late to get a table at a window. Have the TA note this on your reservation. Some of the cruise liness booking systems accomodate this type of information in the passenger booking profile.

Then when you board the ship see the Maitre D' to see where your table is. If it works out the way you want it that's great. If not, see what he can do.

Keith

Archived