Upscale River Cruise Line Recommendation Wanted

supercruiser20

We are die-hard Crystal Cruisers with about 15 behind us. Due to our work, we can only take cruises May through August. Having been on almost all summer cruises Crystal has to offer, we are seriously considering a river cruise in Europe.

However, we wish to have 1) English speaking 2) Fine dining ala Crystal 3) Beautiful and functional rooms. WiFi access is critical as we must stay in touch with work.

Any Crystal Cruisers with a recommendation of a River cruise line is welcome.

Thanks so much for your input.

Computer access on the ships cruising on the Europeon rivers is often pretty spotty. Many of the towns have internet cafes.Uniworld,AMAwaterways and Avalon have good reviews.There is a review link available at the top of the page to see reviews of the different companies.I believe there are a couple of rivercruise companies who claim to be 5* but they are Europeon.The companies that I suggested above are 4*. Plaese do not attempt to compare Rivercruising with ocean cruising. It is a totally different experience. Hopefully some people will weigh in that have cruised on Crystal. I do not like ocean cruising so I am no help there.

We love Crystal as well. With that being said, however, river cruising is a totally different genre. Out of necessity, river cruise ships are much smaller, with very few suites. Standard cabins are small - think the 150 sq ft range. Newer ships have a few suites at 300+ sq ft, and French balconies (not large enough to sit/stand on, but great to liesurely view the beautiful scenery while cruising). The galley is tiny, and the chefs face that challenge and still manage to present upscale, often regional cuisine. Wine is included with dinner on many of the lines (except Viking). Entertainment is on the total other end of the spectrum from Crystal (who we think has the best entertainment afloat). Generally there will be a lone musician providing evening music while dining and occasionally for dancing. At times, the cruise line will have a local musical group come on board to entertain. Enrichment programs - again, a huge plus on Crystal - are again sparse - perhaps a local celebrity who might come on board in the evening to discuss a geo-political subject.

I strongly recommend AMA Waterways as the most upscale cruise line. They will have mostly English-speaking passengers, and the staff all speak English. They provide bicycles at no charge for passengers' use - a big plus. While Peter Deilmann was a bit more upscale, they recently withdrew from the river cruising business, so they're no longer an option. A second recommendation would be either Uniworld or Avalon. Viking has a good product as well, although in general, their ships are older. If I were to assign a "star rating", I would rate AMA as a 4+*, Uniworld and Avalon a 4*, and Viking a 3+*.

Most of the AMA boats (the AMA___ ones such as Amalyra, Amadolce, etc) have cabins that are 170 sq ft --> and suites that are larger. Can't compare companies as I have only sailed with Uniworld at that time. We are traveling with AMA in October, so will be able to compare then.

I do have to agree with others who have posted that ocean and river cruises are *not* the same... We weren't really impressed with ocean cruising - but love river cruises. Some "die hard" ocean cruisers find the rivers "lacking" - and others really like the experience. Hopefully others who have sailed with Crystal will also be able to comment here.

Hi supercruiser,

We have been on Crystal twice and other cruise lines over 35 times. We have also traveled with Tauck Tours and have done three small ship sailings and nine land tours with them and are leaving in two months for a Nile cruise on their Egypt/Jordan tour. No one has suggested Tauck to you and I strongly suggest you go to their website and check them out. They are ALL inclusive -- just add your airfare and go. They have three new ships and we have just booked a Rhine/Moselle Cruise for July 2010 based on their reputation and our prior tours with them. I did compare other companies and when we added the tips, optional tours, taxes and port charges, they were comparable in price to Tauck.

Sheila

We sailed with Avalon on our first and only so far river trip. Avalon and Amadeus were originally sister companies. Avalon was connected with Globus and still is. And Amadeus was connected with Brenndan. But I think Amadeus went their own way. Both companies ships have some similiarities--size of the cabins are one. If you are use to Crystal. I would definitely consider getting a suite on both ships from both of these companies. The regular cabins at 170 sq ft are nicely laid out. Amadeus do have a couple of ships are listed at less than 170 sq ft so I would check out their deck plans on their web site. The beds in the regular cabins are two twins placed together. I do think the suite has a King size bed.

Since you are use to cruising with Crystal, you might consider Tauck. I understand (although I have never been on one) that they are the Cadillac of tour companies. And they have a new ship, the Swiss Jewel.

I know you would enjoy Avalon and Amadeus, but I really feel that Tauck maybe what you are looking for.

We chose Avalon because we were use to ocean cruising and large cabins on Holland America. Unfortunately, most of the other river cruise boat companies have older and smaller cabins---exception would naturally be suites. And on most river boats there are only 2 to 4 suites.

I would suggest taking a look at Uniworld, they are definitely a 4.5*+. They include complimentary wine, beer and soft drinks with dinner, have bicycles on board that are free of charge, the food is outstanding, and next year they will be offering butler service in the suites on some of their ships. I have sailed Uniworld and AMA before and thought the service and food were better with Uniworld.

I would suggest taking a look at Uniworld, they are definitely a 4.5*+. They include complimentary wine, beer and soft drinks with dinner, have bicycles on board that are free of charge, the food is outstanding, and next year they will be offering butler service in the suites on some of their ships. I have sailed Uniworld and AMA before and thought the service and food were better with Uniworld.

We have cruised Avalon and are looking at Uniworld for our next cruise. We liked Avalon but felt there was room for improvement in the dinners.

We chose Avalon over Tauck for our July Vienna to Amsterdam for 2 major reasons.First Tauck does only a 14 night Budapest to Amsterdam, a little to long for us, second Avalon offers Breakfast room service in the top catagory stateroom not only in there suites.That was important for us cause we like continental breakfast in our stateroom. This will be our first river cruise have taken 20 cruise over the last 18 yrs. Mostly small ships SS, Prinsendam ,Oceania , Windstar, Pearl,vicking lines

The only true 5 star lines are Tauck, Peter Deilmann and Premicon.

Check out this thread especially Steamboats advice.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=974717&highlight=luxury

As stated, most other river cruise companies (Viking, Uniworld, Avalon, AMA Waterways, Avalon and GCT) are 3+ to 4 stars. Each has it's own good and not so good points.

Avalon and Amadeus were originally sister companies. Avalon was connected with Globus and still is. And Amadeus was connected with Brenndan.

We're talking a totally different connection. Brendan Worldwide Vacations chose Amadeus - a GDS (Global Distribution System) as its travel agent arm. That Amadeus had nothing to do with Amadeus Waterways, which changed its name to AMA Waterways in June, 2008.

And to the poster who said that Deilmann was a 5 star - as I posted earlier, they're no longer in the river cruise business.

We chose Avalon over Tauck for our July Vienna to Amsterdam for 2 major reasons.First Tauck does only a 14 night Budapest to Amsterdam, a little to long for us, second Avalon offers Breakfast room service in the top catagory stateroom not only in there suites.That was important for us cause we like continental breakfast in our stateroom. This will be our first river cruise have taken 20 cruise over the last 18 yrs. Mostly small ships SS, Prinsendam ,Oceania , Windstar, Pearl,vicking lines

The room service for breakfast must be new next year. We cruised in a top category cabin (not a suite) Budapest to Amsterdam in 2008 and it was not offered. We walked to the reception area early to get our own coffee and bring it back to our cabin. I really didn't mind at all though.Sometimes I would take my coffe up to the sundeck early in the AM. Lovely!

On our cruise, the suites were offered a continental breakfast. However, most of them were within 10 or 15 yards of where the continental breakfast was set up ... so I don't know if any of them took advantage of them or not ... this was new from last year ... and also, we were sailing on the Affinity, which was, in May, the newest Avalon ship.

On our cruise, the suites were offered a continental breakfast. However, most of them were within 10 or 15 yards of where the continental breakfast was set up ... so I don't know if any of them took advantage of them or not ... this was new from last year ... and also, we were sailing on the Affinity, which was, in May,

We are booked on the Affinity for next year. How was it? We new it was a new riverboat thats why we booked it and because of the cont. bfkst. In there broucher they mention they restrict luggage to 2 pieces, that we dont mind, but we want to carry our 19" rollabout do they give you a hard time? or any one else?

Thay told us this was because incase the river is low and have to go on the bus for a few days.

Thank you all for your information. We have now narrowed it down to AMA or Tauck. Of interest, Tauck does not show photos of their cabins.

1) Does anyone have a link or photo of the cabins on Tauck?

2) Does AMA do any "discounting" on their cruises? If so, generally how far in advance?

As we already have a Crystal Cruise booked at the same time of the AMA cruise we are interested in, we would have to cancel Crystal. I do want to make sure that the cruise costs are comparable with one another. Crystal does have a special that provides $1,000 per person shipboard credit (and other discounted fares). It appears that the Crystal cost may be much lower than AMA.

I did look at Premicon and requested a brochure. However, it appears that their cruises are quite short compared to other lines.

Thank you all for your information. We have now narrowed it down to AMA or Tauck. Of interest, Tauck does not show photos of their cabins.

2) Does AMA do any "discounting" on their cruises? If so, generally how far in advance?

As we already have a Crystal Cruise booked at the same time of the AMA cruise we are interested in, we would have to cancel Crystal. I do want to make sure that the cruise costs are comparable with one another. Crystal does have a special that provides $1,000 per person shipboard credit (and other discounted fares). It appears that the Crystal cost may be much lower than AMA.

I did look at Premicon and requested a brochure. However, it appears that their cruises are quite short compared to other lines.

I found it hard to get the same type of discount on a river cruise as we can get on ocean cruise liners. Basically, you can get an early discount or a discount if you apply early and pay in full. There is also a small senior discount. Right now the prices are being discounted because of the economy---so now is probably the best time to go. Others may know of a TA that gives a good discount, but I wasn't able to find any.

I did discover another luxury River Boat company--A-Rosa while looking on line, but they seem to cater to the German market. And if you want a real luxury trip you might consider going barge trip. Check out French Waterways. I haven't been on a Tauck River Boat, but I would bet that the food served on a French Waterways barge would be what you are looking for. After all they are serving food for only 12 people rather than 1120 to 140 people. Usually, barge trips are no longer than 7 days, but maybe you could combine two.

On our cruise, the suites were offered a continental breakfast. However, most of them were within 10 or 15 yards of where the continental breakfast was set up ... so I don't know if any of them took advantage of them or not ... this was new from last year ... and also, we were sailing on the Affinity, which was, in May,

We are booked on the Affinity for next year. How was it? We new it was a new riverboat thats why we booked it and because of the cont. bfkst. In there broucher they mention they restrict luggage to 2 pieces, that we dont mind, but we want to carry our 19" rollabout do they give you a hard time? or any one else?

Thay told us this was because incase the river is low and have to go on the bus for a few days.

While sailing we got a chance to see inside the cabins on the Tauck and the cabins looked very nice. Their ships look nice and clean as well.

The room service for breakfast must be new next year. We cruised in a top category cabin (not a suite) Budapest to Amsterdam in 2008 and it was not offered. We walked to the reception area early to get our own coffee and bring it back to our cabin. I really didn't mind at all though.Sometimes I would take my coffe up to the sundeck early in the AM. Lovely!

it's being offered in 2009 - it's available to us on our September 25 sailing on the Tapestry. Not that it's really an amenity we would want or need but nice just the same that it's offered (top deck cabins only - not just the suites).

I'd suggest you post another thread asking for specific feedback on the food served if that's important to you. Friends of ours went on AMA and couldn't recommend it b'c DH didn't like the food - quantity or quality. Hard to judge if it was just him so that's why I suggest a new thread with that question for AMA & Tauck past pax to reply. Good luck.

1) English speaking 2) Fine dining ala Crystal 3) Beautiful and functional rooms. WiFi access is critical as we must stay in touch with work.

Seems to me that most are 'English speaking'. Fine dining ?? I don't think you 'dine' on the river boats. Quality food would be be the issue. The food on the French cruises would be the best to me. WiFi is touch and go in my experience.

To Supercruiser20,

Go to a travel agency and look at Tauck's new 2010 brochure European River Cruising and you will see photos of some cabins. They have fourteen 300 square foot suites. Their other cabins range between 150 to l83 square feet for a Junior suite. Their three ships were built recently -- 2006, 2008 and 2009. They also have complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the ship.

My cousins are coming home from a Tauck river cruise this week (their first) and will email me soon with their comments.

Sheila

Archived