Upscale River Cruise Line Recommendation Wanted

supercruiser20

My agent did discount my AMA cruise. I realize that my AMA cruise was on an older ship (Russia/Tolstoy) but after having dealt with AMA - they don't even come close to comparing with Crystal.

While I haven't done a Tauck river cruise - I would look that direction. Considering I put Crystal at the top of my list of being perfect (I loved that cruise/ship/service) - I can't imagine a river cruise even comparing. The reviews of Tauck's river boat cruises have been very, very good.

Hi,

We just came home from the Tauck "Blue Danube Cruise" from Prague to Budapest. While we've never sailed Crystal or that level of cruise ship, I can attest that the Tauck experience was first class. We sailed the Danube on the Swiss Emerald. She is fairly new (2006, I believe), and lovely. She holds 118 passengers, but we had about 96. The cabins were smallish but we had a French balcony and were able to open the slider and enjoy the view as we sailed along. Internet provided by the boat was extremely irregular and unreliable, BUT people were able to use their own laptops with very few problems (going through locks made computer use a challange). Wine and beer was always served with dinner. The meals were delicious, beautifully presented and graciously served. The entertainment consisted of 3 classical musicians one night, some "folk talent" another, two dinners in palaces, one in Vienna with classical music, opera singers and ballet, and the other in Budapest with local Hungarian musicians and dancers. In Prague we were hosted by Tauck to dinner at Kampa Park in Prague. Outstanding! We'd definitely go on another river cruise with them.

Judy

I just returned from a Tauck 14 night Amsterdam-Budapest cruise and will be posting a review soon. IMHO there is no other choice especially for DW and I who are Silversea and Regent cruisers on the oceans. I made a point of checking out other lines as we moored along side and the new smaller Tauck boats put the others in their dust for looks and condition. Check out my review in a few days.

Hi newlondon,

Looking forward to reading your review of your Tauck river cruise. My cousin is Judy S who posted on this thread right before you. She and her DH thoroughly enjoyed their cruise on Tauck, also. We just booked the July 13, 2010 Rhine/Moselle river cruise with them sailing from Basel to Amsterdam.

Sheila

Hi newlondon,

Looking forward to reading your review of your Tauck river cruise. My cousin is Judy S who posted on this thread right before you. She and her DH thoroughly enjoyed their cruise on Tauck, also. We just booked the July 13, 2010 Rhine/Moselle river cruise with them sailing from Basel to Amsterdam.

Sheila

Sheila,

I thought you were shoshona. What is this shoshona2? Your are Sheila from the Sheraton Santiago Infinity Cruise with Ernie Borgnine.

I'll just post the link to all the pictures I have. Some Horn and the recent was a Great Journey which had the Basel to Amsterdam after 4 days in Switzerland. I have some info in the computer on this Basel to Amsterdam trip.

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=5125

I had a Sheila on the South Pacific cruise that I got confused with you that you had to straighten me out on. Have I got it right now? I used to have your e-mail address, but didn't have my outlook express address book backed up and had a crash.

Archived