Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Thanks for the info. Would there be any place to shop in and around the Hampton Inn City? Happy New Year!

That depends on what you are shopping for. There is a CVS 3 blocks away on US1 at Broward Blvd and a Publix about 6 blocks away on S. Andrews Ave. If you want to shop in boutiques and galleries go to Las Olas Blvd east of US1, starting at about 6 blocks away. If you want to go to a mall, Galleria Mall is about 3 miles away.

Hello,

my husband and I will be disembarking from our cruise early morning in Fort Lauderdale next March. Our flight back home is at 8pm so I was wondering if anyone would have the name of a hotel-motel-resort (preferably with a pool and not too far from airport) that would rent us a room from 10am-5pm. I can't believe, I would miss an extra day in the sun waiting in the airport...

Thank you in advance,

You might want to check to see if the ship has an excursion on that day. Also, inquire if your airline offers valet luggage service (you put your luggage out the night before and don't see it again until you reach your home airport.) You can google "Ft. Lauderdale hotels by the airport." And, I think if you go to Priceline and check out hotels by the airport that the actual distance is shown. I'm not positive about that. Waiting until 8 pm for a flight makes for one long exhausting day!

Hello,

my husband and I will be disembarking from our cruise early morning in Fort Lauderdale next March. Our flight back home is at 8pm so I was wondering if anyone would have the name of a hotel-motel-resort (preferably with a pool and not too far from airport) that would rent us a room from 10am-5pm. I can't believe, I would miss an extra day in the sun waiting in the airport...

Thank you in advance,

Here is the link to a map and a list of airport hotels:

http://ftlauderdale.airporthotelguide.com/map.html

Thanks so much just booked the RiverSide! Should we do a cab or super shuttle from Miami airport to the RiverSide Fort Lauderdale? Or is there another shuttle service you would recommend?:D

Stay at the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas Blvd in Fort Lauderdale or on A1A (beachfront) in Fort Lauderdale. You'll be able to walk around and explore the area from there.

Thanks so much just booked the RiverSide! Should we do a cab or super shuttle from Miami airport to the RiverSide Fort Lauderdale? Or is there another shuttle service you would recommend?:D

A taxi will run you somewhere between $70 and $100 per cab, so use that as a basis when pricing shuttles. SuperShuttle will run about $60 for 2. There is a Go Shuttle at the airport.

The area around Riverside is great. You can explore the city for a mile west and a mile east. Around the hotel and east there is everything from fine dining to casual dining (resort casual wear), galleries, and boutiques. There is a water taxi stop about 2 blocks east along the river. There is a Museum of Art a few blocks west, just before Andrews Ave., and a multiplex cinema past there in Las Olas Riverfront. After dark, be careful venturing more than 2 blocks west of the hotel, as there are a few blocks that aren't very busy, and west of there if you are over 35 you won't want to be there at night.

Edited by royalcruz

Great to read all of the questions and fantastic responses-very nice site at CC!

Questions: We are booked in December for a cruise B2B with Princess-it departs out of FLL. We will arrive 2 days before embarkation and stay a day after we return.

Would you fly into FLL or Miami?

If money were not a problem-where would you stay pre and post cruise?

we are only 2 adults-late 50's-have stayed in the past at 17th street at Amerisuites which we did not care for[liked the Embassy across the street].

My DS loves the beach and to be pampered.-like westin/Ritz/etc.

My flight into MIA will be cheaper but will probably break even with transportation to FLL for the hotel/port.

Looking forward to hearing back ;)

Great to read all of the questions and fantastic responses-very nice site at CC!

Questions: We are booked in December for a cruise B2B with Princess-it departs out of FLL. We will arrive 2 days before embarkation and stay a day after we return.

we are only 2 adults-late 50's-have stayed in the past at 17th street at Amerisuites which we did not care for[liked the Embassy across the street].

My flight into MIA will be cheaper but will probably break even with transportation to FLL for the hotel/port.

The Amerisuites is now the Hyatt Place North.

I only managed to get through the first 12 pages and decided that I should just go ahead and ask a questiona nd appologize up front if it is repeated.

I plan to book our hotel on Friday and am still trying to make a decision on where to stay. I am thinking the Hyatt, but was wondering how far a water taxi stop was from there.

I understand that there is an Outback close by... are there any other places to eat, because I can eat at Outback when I am home?

Thanks

I am cruising out of Fort Lauderdale in March. I am flying in hte day before but will not arrive till aroound 630 pm, so I dont need a hotel with beach access etc. I will have a voucher to use from my credit card company for a free night at a Marriot hotel. Is there one in the area you would suggest? Id like to find something reasonably priced so that the other couples traveling with us can get a decent price at the same hotel. Breakfast a a shuttle would be great too.

Thanks

Thought it might be helpful if you knew which I was allowed to choose from with my vouvher:)

Here is the list:

Fort Lauderdale - Renaissance

Fort Lauderdale Airport - SpringHill Suites

Fort Lauderdale Beach - Courtyard

Fort Lauderdale East - Courtyard

Fort Lauderdale/Miramar - Courtyard

Fort Lauderdale/Miramar - Residence Inn

Edited by RN7997
added hotel names

Another question........

Post cruise our flight doesnt leave till 438pm.....any suggestions for things to do in the area after we get off the ship. I have never sailed from Ft Laud so I am not familar with the area.

We usuall stay by cruise port & get out wine at Total Wine but our cruise line booked us at the Westin on Corporate Dr -have no idea what is near there.

PLEASE help us!! I see that Dailland shopping center is near there but can't seem to find what stores are there.

Our March cruise ends on a Sunday, but our flights don't leave until the following day (Monday) at 9 AM. We are hoping to rental a car from FLL right after docking, drive to and spend the Sunday night in a hotel in the Sawgrass Mills area to do some shopping. Then drive the rental and return it to FLL Monday morning and catch our 9 Am flight. We're flying domestic, but to be sure we'd probably aim to leave the hotel around 7 Am.

My question is: the most direct route from the Sawgrass area to FLL is via the 595. Google maps lists it as a 18-20 min drive. On a Monday morning, will there be traffic along the 595 such that we'd have to set aside even more time before our flight to make it on time?

The Lowes hotel in South Beach is very nice. People rave about Mandarin Oriental but I haven't been there.

In Fort Lauderdale, I love the W but I'm in my mid 40s and I'm one of the older people around. The customer service is excellent. You might like the Ritz Carlton the most. Not only is it a fine hotel, it's in the middle of everything to walk to by the beach area. Marriott Harbor Beach and Lago Mar are fine hotels on the beach but are a far walk to things. If money were no object Westin would not be high up on my list.

Maybe you could stay in one city before and one city after your cruise.

I plan to book our hotel on Friday and am still trying to make a decision on where to stay. I am thinking the Hyatt, but was wondering how far a water taxi stop was from there.

I understand that there is an Outback close by... are there any other places to eat, because I can eat at Outback when I am home?

Thanks

That would be the Hyatt Place FLL airport north. There are plenty of places to eat nearby. Bistro Mezzaluna is across 17th St and gets great reviews. If you like Mediterranean check out Taza. Bimini Boatyard and Bravo are very good and are about 8 blocks away. Chuck's is a block away but is a boring old fashioned steakhouse w/salad bar. Kelly's Landing serves up New England seafood, 3 blocks away. Most of the other restaurants are very casual: Duffy's, Quarterdeck, Five Guys, etc.

I am cruising out of Fort Lauderdale in March. I am flying in hte day before but will not arrive till aroound 630 pm, so I dont need a hotel with beach access etc. I will have a voucher to use from my credit card company for a free night at a Marriot hotel. Is there one in the area you would suggest? Id like to find something reasonably priced so that the other couples traveling with us can get a decent price at the same hotel. Breakfast a a shuttle would be great too.

Thanks

Thought it might be helpful if you knew which I was allowed to choose from with my vouvher:)

Here is the list:

Fort Lauderdale - Renaissance

Fort Lauderdale Airport - SpringHill Suites

Fort Lauderdale Beach - Courtyard

Fort Lauderdale East - Courtyard

Fort Lauderdale/Miramar - Courtyard

Fort Lauderdale/Miramar - Residence Inn

I am pretty sure that Springhill Suites near Stirling Rd in the airport area has free shuttles and breakfast and is the only one that does. Maybe 2 couples can share a suite. Courtyard on the beach is nice and is close to the port and airport and restaurants. The Bahia Mar is 2 blocks away and would be cheaper for your friends. Miramar is too far, as is Ft Laud east. There are 2 Renaissances, one is right by the port and one is further out in Plantation.

Another question........

Post cruise our flight doesnt leave till 438pm.....any suggestions for things to do in the area after we get off the ship. I have never sailed from Ft Laud so I am not familar with the area.

Beach or downtown Las Olas Blvd or Galleria Mall if it rains.

We usuall stay by cruise port & get out wine at Total Wine but our cruise line booked us at the Westin on Corporate Dr -have no idea what is near there.

PLEASE help us!! I see that Dailland shopping center is near there but can't seem to find what stores are there.

Your hotel is about 10 miles north of the airport. I'm not sure which shopping center is Dailland but it must be really small. I think there may be a bar/convenience store on Cypress Creek Rd within walking distance but there are no nice wine stores.

The closest I can think of:

Publix on Dixie Hwy/E Commercial Blvd

67 Wine and Spirits

ABC wine/liquor on Copans Rd

Our March cruise ends on a Sunday, but our flights don't leave until the following day (Monday) at 9 AM. We are hoping to rental a car from FLL right after docking, drive to and spend the Sunday night in a hotel in the Sawgrass Mills area to do some shopping. Then drive the rental and return it to FLL Monday morning and catch our 9 Am flight. We're flying domestic, but to be sure we'd probably aim to leave the hotel around 7 Am.

My question is: the most direct route from the Sawgrass area to FLL is via the 595. Google maps lists it as a 18-20 min drive. On a Monday morning, will there be traffic along the 595 such that we'd have to set aside even more time before our flight to make it on time?

There won't be too much traffic before 7 AM, so leave at 6:30 and you'll be fine. 595 is under construction so just allow this little extra time to be sure. Crowne Plaza or Renaissance are the nicest hotels in the area, but Hyatt Place and Hampton Inn in Plantation are nice and are just 10 minutes from the mall. If you prefer upscale outlets look for the Collonades section of the mall, which is outdoors (there are signs to help you find the different areas of the mall).

Edited by royalcruz

Hi,

We will be arriving in Ft. Lauderdale off of the Celebrity Solstice on Sundaya 1/16. Our flight does not leave until almost 8 p.m. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to spend such a long day? The cruise ship excursions get us to the airport by 2 p.m., which leaves us in the airport for 6 hours. We were thinking of trying to find a hotel on the beach that offers day passes, but the weather doesn't look like it will be particularly warm for spending on a beach.

We would prefer to go by taxi to a place where we can settle for the day with our luggage. (Does anyone know if Celebrity offers the delivery of luggage to the airport for you?)

If the above idea doesn't work, is there a way to easily get from the pier to a place to rent a car?

Thank you for all the help you can give me. We fly out this Saturday and I am starting to get anxious about how we (4 of us - 3 adults and one 8 year old) will spend the 10-11 hours between ship & plane.

Hi,

We will be arriving in Ft. Lauderdale off of the Celebrity Solstice on Sundaya 1/16. Our flight does not leave until almost 8 p.m. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to spend such a long day? The cruise ship excursions get us to the airport by 2 p.m., which leaves us in the airport for 6 hours. We were thinking of trying to find a hotel on the beach that offers day passes, but the weather doesn't look like it will be particularly warm for spending on a beach.

We would prefer to go by taxi to a place where we can settle for the day with our luggage. (Does anyone know if Celebrity offers the delivery of luggage to the airport for you?)

If the above idea doesn't work, is there a way to easily get from the pier to a place to rent a car?

Thank you for all the help you can give me. We fly out this Saturday and I am starting to get anxious about how we (4 of us - 3 adults and one 8 year old) will spend the 10-11 hours between ship & plane.

RC offers the luggage express service in Fort Laud so hopefully X does also. Some of the airport car rental concessions have free shuttles from the port. A search on this board should give you the names of these companies. Once you have a car you can go to Las Olas Blvd, Galleria Mall, or if you have more time go to Sawgrass Mills Mall or even South Beach.

Thank You for the feedback-its a tough decision-wish we had more time to site see. Right now its narrowed down to the Ritz/W/Il Lugano/for FLL and Lowes for MIA-it all depends on the airfare and times-we prefer AA airlines which goes directly into MIA.

I will review the mandaran as well.

Looking forward to continueing seeing the reviews!

Keep up the fine work and Thanks for all you do for us all!

I stumbled on this thread yesterday. And I'm sooo glad I did! There is a wealth of info here. We are cruising out of FLL April 3rd on the Freedom. DH and I are thinking about arriving in FLL a day early. After reading the first 24 pages of this thread, it seems Hyatt Place North meets everything we need for an overnight stay. When I looked up their rates for the first week of April, I was getting a rate of $169/night. My question is what website(s) is everyone using to get the $89/night rate? I went to hyatt.com and valuetrips.com and both sites were quoting $169. If you are using Hotwire, what region in FLL are you bidding on? I'm a little skeptical to use Hotwire just because you don't know the name of the hotel first. And with my luck, I would probably get something that won't fit our family of 6's needs (ie. transportation from airport, transportation to port, breakfast). Thanks for your help!