Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Wow thanks for all the great info. We are going to be on the Solstice with you Royal. We arrive the 9th to marriott beach place. We are hoping to be able to see the parade from there. What time should we travel to the port Sunday? We are planning on taking the taxi. Any breakfast/dinner suggestions near beachplace?

Wow thanks for all the great info. We are going to be on the Solstice with you Royal. We arrive the 9th to marriott beach place. We are hoping to be able to see the parade from there. What time should we travel to the port Sunday? We are planning on taking the taxi. Any breakfast/dinner suggestions near beachplace?

Beach Place is a couple of blocks east of the intracoastal where the parade is, and there is a high rise condo west of it on the intracoastal (I think the other building may be shorter but not sure)...so even if your room is on a high floor facing west and you have binoculars the view might not be great. You should head over to the intracoastal and find a spot with public access.

I usually get to the port between 11:30 and noon and get right through without many lines. Since the Solstice had noro prior to its current sailing there is a good chance that some people will be sick and they will do a deep cleaning, and this can delay boarding. It is also coming from Europe, so customs may be more extensive, which can delay boarding. I still plan to arrive at the usual time, but understand that there may be a line outside or we may be asked to wait in a room to board after checkin.

I've never had breakfast in that area but I believe that H2O next door to the hotel serves breakfast. My favorite place for dinner is Casablanca Cafe. I also like H2O and Coconuts. Lulu's Bait Shack (Beach Place) and Via Luna (Ritz Carlton) are also very popular. It could be quite chilly at night at the beach in January, so I would eat dinner indoors and all of these venues have indoor dining. Coconuts is about 6 blocks away so if it's a chilly night stick to the others. Casablanca is about 3 blocks away. The others are very close. In the blocks past H2O you will see a bunch of cute restaurant/bars with live entertainment...there is a vacation atmosphere but the service and food is not good IMO.

Hi there,

We are cruising out of Miami from March 4-11 flying through FLL. We are shuttling to Miami for pre-cruise night. Shuttling back to FLL for post-cruise night before flying out early next morning (6:45 am). Where is a good place to stay that is reasonably priced? What are good sightseeing things to do on our post-cruise day in FLL?

Much thanks for any advice.

Hi there,

We are cruising out of Miami from March 4-11 flying through FLL. We are shuttling to Miami for pre-cruise night. Shuttling back to FLL for post-cruise night before flying out early next morning (6:45 am). Where is a good place to stay that is reasonably priced? What are good sightseeing things to do on our post-cruise day in FLL?

If you want to stay in downtown Miami, near POM, the popular hotels with cruisers include the Hyatt, Intercontinental, Holiday Inn, Marriott and Doubletree. Prices will vary with the tourist season - and your dates are in the high priced part of the year. :eek: Start searching now for something that you can live with that can be canelled without penalty, and then keep shopping!

Good luck! :)

Hi there,

March is an expensive month for hotels in fort laud and miami. The best place to stay in Fort Lauderdale is downtown at Riverside Hotel or at the beach (Bahia Mar, Courtyard, Best Western Oceanside, Shell resort and Alhambra tend to have the best rates and locations). Or you can priceline a 3 star airport hotel and rent a car or look for the Fairfield airport hotel on lastminutetravel.

Beach Place is a couple of blocks east of the intracoastal where the parade is, and there is a high rise condo west of it on the intracoastal (I think the other building may be shorter but not sure)...so even if your room is on a high floor facing west and you have binoculars the view might not be great. You should head over to the intracoastal and find a spot with public access.

I usually get to the port between 11:30 and noon and get right through without many lines. Since the Solstice had noro prior to its current sailing there is a good chance that some people will be sick and they will do a deep cleaning, and this can delay boarding. It is also coming from Europe, so customs may be more extensive, which can delay boarding. I still plan to arrive at the usual time, but understand that there may be a line outside or we may be asked to wait in a room to board after checkin.

I've never had breakfast in that area but I believe that H2O next door to the hotel serves breakfast. My favorite place for dinner is Casablanca Cafe. I also like H2O and Coconuts. Lulu's Bait Shack (Beach Place) and Via Luna (Ritz Carlton) are also very popular. It could be quite chilly at night at the beach in January, so I would eat dinner indoors and all of these venues have indoor dining. Coconuts is about 6 blocks away so if it's a chilly night stick to the others. Casablanca is about 3 blocks away. The others are very close. In the blocks past H2O you will see a bunch of cute restaurant/bars with live entertainment...there is a vacation atmosphere but the service and food is not good IMO.

Thanks for all the great info. You are awesome. Hope to see you at the connections party on the solstice. Our last cruise was on the Liberty.

I know this question is a little different, but I'm just looking for just a basic place to rest before/after cruise. No plans for shopping or fancy dining, as we will fly in the evening before and leave the morning after.

Motel 6 Ft Lauderdale #55

1801 Sr 84

I-95 At Sr 84, Exit #25

Ft Lauderdale, FL, 33315

Motel 6 Dania Beach #376

825 E Dania Beach Blvd

I-95 At Stirling Rd, Exit #22

Dania Beach, FL, 33004

Are either of these viable options? Or should I look elsewhere? I assume a taxi to motel, then to terminal, and reverse when we get back. What kind of taxi rates can I expect?

Thanks,

Adam

I know this question is a little different, but I'm just looking for just a basic place to rest before/after cruise. No plans for shopping or fancy dining, as we will fly in the evening before and leave the morning after.

1801 Sr 84

I-95 At Sr 84, Exit #25

Ft Lauderdale, FL, 33315

Motel 6 Dania Beach #376

825 E Dania Beach Blvd

Dania Beach, FL, 33004

Are either of these viable options? Or should I look elsewhere? I assume a taxi to motel, then to terminal, and reverse when we get back. What kind of taxi rates can I expect?

Thanks,

Adam

The reviews are mostly horrible. Stay elsewhere. The Dania location is NOT at I95 and Stirling Rd, that is just the closest exit. A $50 motel in the Fort Lauderdale area is either going to be dirty or scary or so far that cab fare will cost you as much as the hotel, each way.

Edited by royalcruz

The reviews are mostly horrible. Stay elsewhere. The Dania location is NOT at I95 and Stirling Rd, that is just the closest exit. A $50 motel in the Fort Lauderdale area is either going to be dirty or scary or so far that cab fare will cost you as much as the hotel, each way.

Understood! :eek:

I just realized I have a bunch of points I can cash in for a hotel, so it looks like we will be at a nicer place anyway. :D

Thanks!

Adam

Royalcruz-what is your opinion on Springhill on SW 18th or LaQuinta on Peters, Plantation, LaQuinta N. Federal Highway, Fairfield on Griffin? Just looking for 1 night. Need somewhere with a few choices for dinner and breakfast. Thanks so much for all your help:)

Royalcruz-what is your opinion on Springhill on SW 18th or LaQuinta on Peters, Plantation, LaQuinta N. Federal Highway, Fairfield on Griffin? Just looking for 1 night. Need somewhere with a few choices for dinner and breakfast. Thanks so much for all your help:)

Springhill-good location

Fairfield-close to port but only 3 restaurants within walking distance

Laquinta Plantation-good location, not close to port-not good unless they have free shuttles (some laquintas have this, so call directly to check)

Laquinta Federal Hwy-too far, not much around there

Couple of questions...

1. My family, including 3 kids from 3 years to 12 years) are staying at the Westin Diplomat for a few days pre-cruise. We'll have a car. Are there any "must dos" while we're in Ft. Lauderdale?

2. My sisters recently booked their flights and need a pre-cruise hotel for one night. I've been trying Priceline and Hotwire, but am afraid to go below a 3 star hotel. Any budget friendly tips to try, or "safe" 2.5 star hotels on Priceline? Which areas do I need to bid on to keep the cab fare low(er)?

Thanks! :)

1801 Sr 84

I-95 At Sr 84, Exit #25

Ft Lauderdale, FL, 33315

Motel 6 Dania Beach #376

825 E Dania Beach Blvd

Dania Beach, FL, 33004

Thanks,

Adam

after several bad experiences i suggest you up the budget a bit. remember, you get what you pay for. we are very willing to pay for hampton inn on stirling for a 2nd time. booked thru stay 123. ad

Couple of questions...

1. My family, including 3 kids from 3 years to 12 years) are staying at the Westin Diplomat for a few days pre-cruise. We'll have a car. Are there any "must dos" while we're in Ft. Lauderdale?

2. My sisters recently booked their flights and need a pre-cruise hotel for one night. I've been trying Priceline and Hotwire, but am afraid to go below a 3 star hotel. Any budget friendly tips to try, or "safe" 2.5 star hotels on Priceline? Which areas do I need to bid on to keep the cab fare low(er)?

Michele, have you looked at LastMinuteTravel.com ? They usually have Fairfield Inn & Suites for $69 plus tax. I stayed there in October and it was a nice hotel...not much around it, but it was clean and new. There's a free shuttle from the airport and a cab to the port was $25 with tip or they have a shuttle for $8.00 per person.

Michele, have you looked at LastMinuteTravel.com ? They usually have Fairfield Inn & Suites for $69 plus tax. I stayed there in October and it was a nice hotel...not much around it, but it was clean and new. There's a free shuttle from the airport and a cab to the port was $25 with tip or they have a shuttle for $8.00 per person.

I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Couple of questions...

If you've never been (or even if you have been - we go every time we have visitors!) to the Everglades, go to either Royal Palm or Shark Valley. They're each about an hour drive from Fort Lauderdale and the wildlife in the winter is incredible.

Edited by capriccio

Ughh! Waited too long to book hotel for New years eve that is on the beach for my family. The Marriott and Courtyard are booked up. We are looking for a post cruise hotel so hoping we could leave our bags at check in and go to the beach , shop until our room is ready. I am sure there will be no rooms available at 10am. We also just bought tickets to see the Cirque show at the convention center the same night. Any good post cruise suggetions at beach, within walking distance to shops restaurants that will be safe for family and who will allow us to leave our bags at the desk if room not ready.

Ughh! Waited too long to book hotel for New years eve that is on the beach for my family. The Marriott and Courtyard are booked up. We are looking for a post cruise hotel so hoping we could leave our bags at check in and go to the beach , shop until our room is ready. I am sure there will be no rooms available at 10am. We also just bought tickets to see the Cirque show at the convention center the same night. Any good post cruise suggetions at beach, within walking distance to shops restaurants that will be safe for family and who will allow us to leave our bags at the desk if room not ready.

The convention center doesn't have shows...are you seeing Cirque Holidaze at the Broward Center for Performing Arts? I've never heard of a hotel that won't hold your bags if a room isn't ready, so any hotel should be fine, but you should call and check if it isn't a large hotel. Try Alhambra, Ritz Carlton, marriott Beach Place, Westin, W, Shell. These are a little further walk to the main area, but not too far: Bahia Mar, Sheraton, Best Western Oceanside, Atlantic.

Couple of questions...

Check out Boomers in Dania Beach (they have a website).

Cab fare will be lowest at priceline airport and downtown area hotels, and all of the hotels reported on better bidding in those areas are good enough and close.

If you've never been (or even if you have been - we go every time we have visitors!) to the Everglades, go to either Royal Palm or Shark Valley. They're each about an hour drive from Fort Lauderdale and the wildlife in the winter is incredible.

Great idea! We haven't been to the Everglades and will have to put that on our list of possibilities. THANKS!

Check out Boomers in Dania Beach (they have a website).

Cab fare will be lowest at priceline airport and downtown area hotels, and all of the hotels reported on better bidding in those areas are good enough and close.

Thanks! I've added these to my list of considerations. :)

The convention center doesn't have shows...are you seeing Cirque Holidaze at the Broward Center for Performing Arts? I've never heard of a hotel that won't hold your bags if a room isn't ready, so any hotel should be fine, but you should call and check if it isn't a large hotel. Try Alhambra, Ritz Carlton, marriott Beach Place, Westin, W, Shell. These are a little further walk to the main area, but not too far: Bahia Mar, Sheraton, Best Western Oceanside, Atlantic.

I thought the Convention Centyer and Broward were the same place. Woops! Well my husband was tired of my indecision and booked us at The Rennaissance. Not on the beach but I think it will be close to things ie restaurants,water taxi and Broward. It looks like it would be too cold for us to swim in the ocean then anyway and that was why I wanted to be close to the beach. Royal cruise- I think the Broward is a few blocks from ythe hotel. Will we be OK walking there in the evening or should we cab it? Thanks a million for your suggestions.

I thought the Convention Centyer and Broward were the same place. Woops! Well my husband was tired of my indecision and booked us at The Rennaissance. Not on the beach but I think it will be close to things ie restaurants,water taxi and Broward. It looks like it would be too cold for us to swim in the ocean then anyway and that was why I wanted to be close to the beach. Royal cruise- I think the Broward is a few blocks from ythe hotel. Will we be OK walking there in the evening or should we cab it? Thanks a million for your suggestions.

Broward Center for the Performing Arts is downtown on the corner of SW 5th Ave and SE 2nd St. The Renaissance is on SE 17th St across from the port and convention center. It is about 3 miles from Broward Center. Take a cab or water taxi (Hilton/Convention Center stop to Esplanade Park stop). The Renaissance is nice and is fine for one or 2 nights. There isn't a lot around but there are lots of restaurants. The Riverside Hotel and Hampton Inn downtown are the closest hotels to the Broward Center. The Riverside is very nice and is about a mile walk to the Center. You do have to walk through a couple of blocks that are not well populated at night though.

Edited by royalcruz

Hello everyone, We will be in Ft. Lauderdale in late February and are looking for transportation from the Port to the Embassy Suites on 17th St. Can anyone recommend a car company or a SuperShuttle type transportation? Mom will be using a folding wheelchair; but the wheels come off so it can fit in a trunk. Any recommendations or suggestions will be very appreciated.

Thank you

Cherry