Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

The dates in May r a little high. I did it on their website. But I did see Royal Beach Place for 2 nights is 196. That place just reopen from renovations. My neighbor stayed there and gave it good reviews. I did Tranquilo in November and it was 99 per night then. Sorry. I try to look around for u. What dates in May?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are staying 5-2-14 to 5-4-14 we sail on 5-4-14 flying in on Fri 5-2 a.m. will have a rental car and I did notice that The "T" charges for parking while the Villa does not. I will look up the Royal Beach Place.

Thanks for the help!!

While I respect that statement, Hyatt pier 66 only had double beds from what I can see. maybe I'm wrong. We definitely prefer queen beds. I am still searching, I just don't think Royal realized what my budget was. There are other towns along the coast that have better rates, I will have a car and don't mind a little drive.

You're right, I didn't realize your budget was for 2 nights total. That's a very tight budget. Hyatt Pier 66 is a different hotel from Hyatt Place 17th St area ($99 on valuetrips in May), but I don't know what bed sizes any hotels have. In your budget you would have more luck bidding on a hotel in the airport zone. Sleep Inn in Dania often has the best rates in the FLL area for a safe modern hotel, but reviews lately haven't been as favorable.

We are also staying at Gallery One Doubletree. Looks the nicest and best price. Anyway, we will be there two nights before the cruise and one after the cruise. We are coming in and out on Amtrak. How far would you guess it would be from the Amtrak to the hotel and then from hotel to cruise terminal? (Can always google map it but they don't tell you if it is busy roads).

The distance would be the same whether the roads are busy or not :confused: You will have to ride on busy roads from Amstrak, but traffic is less late at night or very early in the morning. To the port it is under 5 miles and there shouldn't be too much traffic if it's a weekend morning but you never know. Google Maps is accurate.

Edited by royalcruz

Thank you Royalcruz,

Finaly canceled our reservation and getting our pre-paid money back.

Now to try and find a new hotel :)

Good decision. :) Sleep Inn Dania is a budget hotel that would be a better choice. The reviews lately aren't great but it's still MUCH better.

We are doing the water taxi on the afternoon before a cruise and will end up on Los Olas Blvd.

Where is a good place for a casually dressed group to have supper?

We were there 2 years ago and had lunch at an Italian place, which was incredible, is that still there and if so, is it still as good?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are a few Italian restaurants on Las Olas; it's probably still there.

Casual dinner places: Big City Tavern, Cheesecake Factory, Mangos, Asia Bay and Noodles Pannini are good.

You're right, I didn't realize your budget was for 2 nights total. That's a very tight budget. Hyatt Pier 66 is a different hotel from Hyatt Place 17th St area ($99 on valuetrips in May), but I don't know what bed sizes any hotels have. In your budget you would have more luck bidding on a hotel in the airport zone. Sleep Inn in Dania often has the best rates in the FLL area for a safe modern hotel, but reviews lately haven't been as favorable.

Thanks for your help!!

We decided to try the VistaMar Villa for 200.00 for our dates. 600 square feet, full kitchen, with queen bed for us and two others for the kids. A short walk to the beach with free parking. Hoping it turns out to be a nice little place.

Now that we've scored a room.... what are some of the highlight places we could try and see while we are in town for two days with a rental car??

I have looked at the water taxi route for some sights ,and see some things, just don't want to spend a ton. We will spend some beach time, want to watch Oasis sail away from the state park.

Looking for a few new suggestions/sights.

A couple Of years ago we went to Las Olas Blvd around dinner time. We saw that there were quite a few kiosks down the center of the road, but they had tarp over them, because they were closed. Are these kiosks there every weekend? And if so when do they close? What kind of vedors are in the kiosks?

Can anyone suggest an inexpensive place for lunch on or near Las Olas, we are going out for dinner, so we don't need anything heavy. Thanks

A couple Of years ago we went to Las Olas Blvd around dinner time. We saw that there were quite a few kiosks down the center of the road, but they had tarp over them, because they were closed. Are these kiosks there every weekend? And if so when do they close? What kind of vedors are in the kiosks?

Can anyone suggest an inexpensive place for lunch on or near Las Olas, we are going out for dinner, so we don't need anything heavy. Thanks

You must have been on Las Olas during a festival, probably the art fair. They only have these 2 weekends a year.

Good Las Olas lite/inexpensive lunch places: Gran Forno, Cheese Culture, American Social, Luigi's. Subway, Starbucks, and Offerdahl's are a couple blocks west of Riverside Hotel.

Now that we've scored a room.... what are some of the highlight places we could try and see while we are in town for two days with a rental car??

I have looked at the water taxi route for some sights ,and see some things, just don't want to spend a ton. We will spend some beach time, want to watch Oasis sail away from the state park.

Looking for a few new suggestions/sights.

historic Bonnett House

historic Stranahan House

Museum of Art

Imax

Discovery Center

Las Olas Blvd

In Dania Beach, Boomers is fun for families.

historic Bonnett House

historic Stranahan House

Museum of Art

Imax

Discovery Center

Las Olas Blvd

In Dania Beach, Boomers is fun for families.

Thanks!!

The Vistamar Villa is backed up to the Bonnet house. Might have to check it out. I'll do a search for Boomers and the discovery center.

Thanks again for the help!!

We will be staying at the Rennaisance hotel and were wondering if there are any restaurants in the area that have gluten free menu's? TIA:)

Duffy's Sports bar & grill has a gluten free menu. It's a few blocks away. The closest decent restaurants to the Ren are Bimini Boatyard and Bravo. You could call them to see if they have GF offerings. Also, Market 17 across the street is really nice and it's a farm to table restaurant, so I bet they are able to work with you.

Edited by royalcruz

Hi Sharon:)

Market 17? Never heard of it...where is it located? Sounds different

(a good different:D)

Market 17: It's on the corner of 17th St and Eisenhower. It's been there for a few years. It's nice and the food is very good, indoor and outdoor dining. They also offer dining in the dark with advance reservations in a private room.

Edited by royalcruz

Thank you so much for the info...Market 17 sounds great! We will try it for sure!

Duffy's Sports bar & grill has a gluten free menu. It's a few blocks away. The closest decent restaurants to the Ren are Bimini Boatyard and Bravo. You could call them to see if they have GF offerings. Also, Market 17 across the street is really nice and it's a farm to table restaurant, so I bet they are able to work with you.

I need some info on John U. Lloyd Beach State Park in Dania beach fl.

We are planning to pack a picnic lunch and head there about 1:00pm to enjoy the park/beach. At around 4:30 (Sat.) we want to head to the pier at the north end of the park to watch the ships sail away, especially Oasis.

Do they charge extra to get on the pier to view the ships??

I read a trip advisor review that mentioned the fees but they were not specific about price.

Just wondering if we might do better staying on Ft. Lauderdale beach and trying to get to the rocks from the 17th st side instead of the park.

Any help??

I need some info on John U. Lloyd Beach State Park in Dania beach fl.

We are planning to pack a picnic lunch and head there about 1:00pm to enjoy the park/beach. At around 4:30 (Sat.) we want to head to the pier at the north end of the park to watch the ships sail away, especially Oasis.

Do they charge extra to get on the pier to view the ships??

I read a trip advisor review that mentioned the fees but they were not specific about price.

Just wondering if we might do better staying on Ft. Lauderdale beach and trying to get to the rocks from the 17th st side instead of the park.

Any help??

I'm not sure about this. If you don't care about getting really close, you can always just go onto the beach at the south beach park next to Sheraton north of the port. You'll easily see the ships going out to sea.

I'm not sure about this. If you don't care about getting really close, you can always just go onto the beach at the south beach park next to Sheraton north of the port. You'll easily see the ships going out to sea.

That area is what I was referring to as by the rocks. I read many people go there to watch, north side near where the webcam is located.

I just thought I read and saw pictures from the other side south of the inlet from the state park pier. We thought the state park beach would be a nice place to swim/picnic/and watch the sail away of a couple ships. Now I'm worried that they charge at the state park to get on to the pier where we could see the ships. I know the park charges 6.00 for a car for the day, but the pier???

We are coming to Fort Lauderdale on 24 October for 3 nights before a cruise and looking for some where to stay.Want some where close to a few eating places and something to do during the day with out having to use public transport to get around, also not to far away from cruise terminal.A mid range hotel would be ok.

That area is what I was referring to as by the rocks. I read many people go there to watch, north side near where the webcam is located.

I just thought I read and saw pictures from the other side south of the inlet from the state park pier. We thought the state park beach would be a nice place to swim/picnic/and watch the sail away of a couple ships. Now I'm worried that they charge at the state park to get on to the pier where we could see the ships. I know the park charges 6.00 for a car for the day, but the pier???

On the north side of the port, it's a pretty long beach walk round trip to get from the public beach park to "the rocks", but the only charge is for parking. If the lot is full you'll have to park elsewhere and walk even further. Without doing the walk, you'll still see the ships going out to sea at the beach, but they won't go right by.

Just call John Lloyd Park and ask what the fee is... maybe it isn't much and it's the best view.

Again Thanks for your help.....also thinking of going to Hollywood North Beach Park ....we have one extra day before our cruise...any nice attractions in and around the area? whats a good cab company and estimated fare from the laquinta to the beach??

You'll love Hollywood Beach. There are a lot of little restaurants and shops south of North Beach Park along the broadwalk. There is also a look out tower at North Beach Park that you can walk up and get a good view of the ships leaving the port.