Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

How far is it between 17th and Las Olas Blvd? Is it within walking distance? If not, how much for a cab?

Distance and cab fare will depend upon where exactly you are going to/from. Are you going to/from the beach or downtown? Are you going to/from a certain hotel on 17th St? A store? restaurant? l Please provide more information.

I had never been to a Hilton Garden Inn, and had to go to the one off Stirling Rd today for a seminar. I didn't get into any of the hotel rooms, so I cannot comment on that.

Front desk staff: very friendly and helpful

concessions: They sold food, snacks, and drinks. No wine. A diet coke was $2.75 for a 22 oz bottle.

lobby: small but nice

breakfast area: nice and they served fruit-infused water all day. There is an outdoor patio with several tables too.

parking: tiny spots and I had to wait for a spot to open up. There are a lot of conference rooms, and I'm sure there are more seats than parking spaces.

bathroom: only 4 women's stalls to serve the entire first floor, which is not at all adequate when you have a breakfast restaurant and conference rooms that hold hundreds of people

pool: I only saw 6 lounge chairs but there were a couple of tables and chairs. There was a supply of pool towels on a stand.

location: across the street from Oakwood Plaza and you could go to Chipotle without crossing the street.

shuttle: the airport shuttle was busy going back and forth all day. There is also a port shuttle, and they will pick you up from the port if you prepay.

Would I stay here? Yes, if I just wanted a room for one night and no frills.

Happy travels!:D

Hi Sharon, thanks for the update...it is appreciated:)

Hi.

We've booked a cruise from Fort Lauderdale for next year and I'm researching possible hotels etc.

We've sailed from here once before, but stayed in Miami and had transport to Port Everglades so we didn't really see much.........although we liked what we saw.

This time we want to spend a few days pre-cruise in the Fort Lauderdale area and are looking for a reasonably priced hotel on the beach.....with transport to the port if possible, and also breakfast included (but that's not imperative).

Basically we're looking for a beach hotel that's convenient to see everything, has local shops & restaurants and isn't too expensive.

We are also looking at taking Amtrak up the coast post-cruise and wonder how far the railway station is from the port.

We don't come over the pond too often and want to see as much as we can.

Thanks

We have a cruise booked the end of March and will stay over at Springhill Suites Dania Beach the night before. I know there is a big shopping Center and restaurants across the street and wondered if there was some place there to pick up my 2 bottles of wine. Anybody know?

Thanks

There are three of us (adults) so we've decided we wanted a suite with a separate room. So, we've booked at Embassy Suites. Our reservation does not include transport from airport OR to the port. I am assuming we can just get a cab easily at the airport to the hotel. And then, since we didn't book the cruise package, we can't use the shuttle at the Embassy-so, do we just once again call a cab company to take us to port. Changing our reservation will cost us at least $50 more - (if we can even make the change) Taxis are our best option?

We have a cruise booked the end of March and will stay over at Springhill Suites Dania Beach the night before. I know there is a big shopping Center and restaurants across the street and wondered if there was some place there to pick up my 2 bottles of wine. Anybody know?

Thanks

Kmart sells wine. BJ sells wine to members.

There are three of us (adults) so we've decided we wanted a suite with a separate room. So, we've booked at Embassy Suites. Our reservation does not include transport from airport OR to the port. I am assuming we can just get a cab easily at the airport to the hotel. And then, since we didn't book the cruise package, we can't use the shuttle at the Embassy-so, do we just once again call a cab company to take us to port. Changing our reservation will cost us at least $50 more - (if we can even make the change) Taxis are our best option?

Yes, Taxis are the best way to go if you are staying at Embassy Suites. Expect to pay about $25 total, plus tip. So budget about $10 per person. Have a nice trip.:)

Hi.

We've booked a cruise from Fort Lauderdale for next year and I'm researching possible hotels etc.

We've sailed from here once before, but stayed in Miami and had transport to Port Everglades so we didn't really see much.........although we liked what we saw.

This time we want to spend a few days pre-cruise in the Fort Lauderdale area and are looking for a reasonably priced hotel on the beach.....with transport to the port if possible, and also breakfast included (but that's not imperative).

Basically we're looking for a beach hotel that's convenient to see everything, has local shops & restaurants and isn't too expensive.

We are also looking at taking Amtrak up the coast post-cruise and wonder how far the railway station is from the port.

We don't come over the pond too often and want to see as much as we can.

Thanks

There are 3 recommended hotels that have competitive pricing at the beach. None of these are actually on the beach, as there are very few hotels on the beach, and none meet your requirements. Best Western Oceanside gives you free breakfast, but you'll have to walk a lot to see anything. Alhambra gives you continental breakfast and is in a great location. Bahia Mar Doubletree has very competitive pricing, especially if you book through hiltonfamilymvp.com signing in with your free hilton account.

You will not find free shuttles in the beach area, but taxis from the airport to these hotels and to the port will cost $20-$25 per ride.

The Amtrak station is about 5-6 miles from the port.

As we checked out of Embassy Suites (on the way to the port), we were prepared to ask the front desk to call a cab. One of the shuttles was out front loading a few folks who'd reserved and the desk person told us to see the driver since the shuttle wasn't filled. Worked out fine...$10 apiece, hopped right on, at our pier in 10 minutes or so. Driver said this often happened, so, one way or the other you should be able to get to your port dock easily.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi,

I'm sorry if some of these questions have already been answered but I am trying to do make some plans for our trip.

We are travelling on a cruise out of POM on Feb 9th (myself, boyfriend and our 6 month old). We arrive in FLL late evening on the 8th and will be staying at Marriott Airport/Cruise.

Here are my questions. Please let me know if something is not workable.

- We plan on taking the free shuttle to the hotel upon arrival. We will be travelling with a carseat. Will we need to install in the shuttle to the hotel?

- We plan to pack everything we need- diapers, baby food. However, I'd love to have the option to visit a grocery store or drugstore before we leave for POM on the 9th. Is there anywhere nearby to pick up last minute things, including wine? Will they be opened on a Sunday morning?

- I have emailed a shuttle company recommended on the boards but have not heard back (this was several days ago). Would you recommend waiting a little while longer or contacting another company.

- What time should we plan to leave for POM. I believe some shuttles do not pick up until 11am. Would you try to leave earlier or later?

Our other options would be to rent a car at FLL and drive ourselves to POM the next day (selecting a rental company that would allow us to drop at Miami Airport and travel via their shuttle to port). My boyfriend isn't really interested in this option. After travelling for 14 hours, he doesn't want the hassle of renting a car for such a short period (and I'm inclined to agree with him). I'm torn between options of using shuttles and hoping to get last minute items near the hotel (even if I need to grab a cab and leave boyfriend at hotel with baby) or renting a car so that we can make stops along our way to the port.

- Finally, we will be renting a car from Alamo after the cruise. Anybody have experience on their shuttle upon debarkation? Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

As we checked out of Embassy Suites (on the way to the port), we were prepared to ask the front desk to call a cab. One of the shuttles was out front loading a few folks who'd reserved and the desk person told us to see the driver since the shuttle wasn't filled. Worked out fine...$10 apiece, hopped right on, at our pier in 10 minutes or so. Driver said this often happened, so, one way or the other you should be able to get to your port dock easily.

Of course the front desk staff encouraged you to take their shuttle...they don't have to call a cab and the hotel makes money. If you took a cab it would have only cost about $10 for the entire car-load.

Taxi phone number is 954-777-7777.

Edited by royalcruz

Hi,

...We arrive in FLL late evening on the 8th and will be staying at Marriott Airport/Cruise....

- We plan to pack everything we need- diapers, baby food. However, I'd love to have the option to visit a grocery store or drugstore before we leave for POM on the 9th. Is there anywhere nearby to pick up last minute things, including wine? Will they be opened on a Sunday morning?

.... What time should we plan to leave for POM. I believe some shuttles do not pick up until 11am. Would you try to leave earlier or later?...

There are no Marriotts in Fort Lauderdale. There are some airport/cruiseport hotels carrying the Marriott brand, like Courtyard, Springhill, and Fairfield. Which is your hotel?

No stores will be able to sell you alcohol products including wine on Sunday until noon.

I would leave at about 11AM to go to Port Miami. You will arrive before noon and boarding should have started by then unless there are unscheduled delays.

There are no Marriotts in Fort Lauderdale. There are some airport/cruiseport hotels carrying the Marriott brand, like Courtyard, Springhill, and Fairfield. Which is your hotel?

No stores will be able to sell you alcohol products including wine on Sunday until noon.

I would leave at about 11AM to go to Port Miami. You will arrive before noon and boarding should have started by then unless there are unscheduled delays.

No Marriotts in FLL? Better tell the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort Hotel...where we are staying in March...:rolleyes:

David:D

No Marriotts in FLL? Better tell the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort Hotel...where we are staying in March...:rolleyes:

David:D

Sorry...Of course there is a Marriott on Fort Lauderdale Beach, LOL! But there are none in the airport/cruisport area where jswhalen is staying!

We were stuck in FLL for 12 hours last year. Could not check our bags until 5 hours before flight. No locker storage available either. Rented compact car - stored luggage in it & hit the beach.

There is a Bags To Go luggage storage in every FLL terminal. Cost is $6 per bag. If you are going to have the day free though, it makes sense to rent a car and put the luggage in the trunk. Make sure that nothing is left inside the car, as it tempts break-ins...if a thief sees a coat inside the car he wonders what is under it.

Of course the front desk staff encouraged you to take their shuttle...they don't have to call a cab and the hotel makes money. If you took a cab it would have only cost about $10 for the entire car-load.

Well, for the two of us, it was $20...thought that was what previous posts said taxi fare would be...it it cost more, fine with us because we hopped right on. Didn't mean to mislead the questioner or take away from your expert advice, but they'd mentioned that they didn't have a shuttle reservation and I was really just trying to make the point that you often can get on the shuttle, reservation or not.

We, too, were directed to a shuttle that was nearly full, and we had no reservation and no wait time. The shuttle was specifically going to the Princess terminal where we were dropped off, our bags unloaded and immediately taken by waiting Princess personnel, and we were directed into the terminal. Very convenient. Our cost was $7 each.

Hi .. we are cruising on the Liberty out of Miami and will be spending 2 days post cruise in FLL before our flight home on Monday. The airport hotels are pretty pricey for 2/22 and 2/23. We need TWO rooms so we are trying to find something a little more economical than spending $280+ a night x 2 rooms.

Is there a particular area of FLL that you recommend? We were looking in the Weston-Plantation-Davie area where the prices are much better compared to the airport zone. Is there much to do around there?

Really would like to know if there are any areas to avoid due to safety.

Thanks for your help.

Ya know, the more I thought about this reply... Hmmm...Is it coming from the Taxi company? Previous answer from royalcruz said that cab fare would be, with tip, around $30 ($10 per the three in the query). So, how come now it's only $10 for the entire group? And, this rather pompous reply to my post is certainly not what I ordinarily see from the helpful, patient royalcruz. Just sayin'...

Ya know, the more I thought about this reply... Hmmm...Is it coming from the Taxi company? Previous answer from royalcruz said that cab fare would be, with tip, around $30 ($10 per the three in the query). So, how come now it's only $10 for the entire group? And, this rather pompous reply to my post is certainly not what I ordinarily see from the helpful, patient royalcruz. Just sayin'...

I have said it is $30 or less from airport to hotel to port (that's 2 taxi rides total). And I was certainly not being pompous...I was just saying that the hotel desk staff was not being helpful to you when they suggested that you take the shuttle instead of calling a taxi for you as you requested. I don't like to see people being taken advantage of.

I have said it is $30 or less from airport to hotel to port (that's 2 taxi rides total). And I was certainly not being pompous...I was just saying that the hotel desk staff was not being helpful to you when they suggested that you take the shuttle instead of calling a taxi for you as you requested. I don't like to see people being taken advantage of.

Okay, I stand corrected.