Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

[quote name='rddk']Is there a place to buy wine within walking distance of the Airport Hilton Garden Inn. We will be staying there the night before cruise out of Miami.[/QUOTE]

Kmart is across Stirling Rd. There is also a BJs if you have a membership there. There are no wine sales Sundays before noon.

[quote name='tnfcruise']Last cruise out of FLL we stayed at the Embassy Suites and Total Wine was right there. This trip we'll be at Courtyard on Seabreeze. So, same question as previous poster...other than the 7-11 (assumption being their selection would be rather limited ; )), someplace close for purchasing our carry-on bottles?[/QUOTE]

There is no store within walking distance with a very big wine selection. Past 7-11, turn left on Las Olas Blvd and there is a liquor store on the right side a block west called Plaza Liquor. The CVS at Beach Place is about 6 blocks away and has wine also. If you want to go to Total Wine, the Suntrolley will take you straight there and is the least expensive way to get there.

[quote name='royalcruz']There is no store within walking distance with a very big wine selection. Past 7-11, turn left on Las Olas Blvd and there is a liquor store on the right side a block west called Plaza Liquor. The CVS at Beach Place is about 6 blocks away and has wine also. If you want to go to Total Wine, the Suntrolley will take you straight there and is the least expensive way to get there.[/QUOTE]

royalcruz, I can always count on you for great, detailed information. And, you're SO patient! Thanks so much.

[quote name='royalcruz']Kmart is across Stirling Rd. There is also a BJs if you have a membership there. There are no wine sales Sundays before noon.[/quote]

Would you still be able to buy liquor from BJ's with a day-pass?? Were staying at La quinta...whats a good part of hollywood beach to tour around or any other attractions and (liquor..lol) available in the area

We always stay at a motel on Stirling Dr. The K-Mart doesn't have much of a wine selection. The liquor store attached to BJ's does sell without membership (our yearly stop before cruising :) There is also a great bar/restaurant across the shopping center, past Home Depot and around the corner.

[quote name='Zoolou']Would you still be able to buy liquor from BJ's with a day-pass?? Were staying at La quinta...whats a good part of hollywood beach to tour around or any other attractions and (liquor..lol) available in the area[/QUOTE]

I think you can buy wine with a day pass and liquor without a day pass.
You can walk the Broadwalk at Hollywood Beach or walk around downtown Hollywood. Here's a website with info: [url]http://www.visithollywoodfl.org/default.aspx[/url]

We will be cruising out of Port Everglades in April 2014 on Royal Princess. We will be flying down on Friday because of flying standby. We want a hotel near everything that is walking distance and fairly reasonably priced.

We would consider renting a car for the two day before the cruise, also if you have any good prices. What I have seen was high.

If u r staying a few days before cruise....I recommend the little boutique hotels by the beach. We stayed at Tranquilo in November. The best I'm stayed at so far. From airport to hotel by cab is 10 minutes and under 20 bucks. From hotel to port was 15 bucks. Having a car is nice but no need. They have a shuttle service all day for 3 bucks and they bring u anywhere from las olas to beach or just cruise around areas. It was wonderful. The beach was one block away from hotel. We got a 2 bedroom suite for 120 with a small kitchenette. 2 brand new pools. Rooms were revonated to modern furniture and the cleanest place. We woke early to walk on the beach and got Starbucks 2 blocks away. I stayed the Hilton and Atlantic beach hotels that cost me an arm and leg. Yes they were nice but saving tons of money and got a better experience was Nicer. I know a lot of people on here like Embassy but my experience with them was horrible and will never go back. I'm booked again for April 2014. My family is also coming back in July 2014 but we wanted to try Marriot Pompano Beach. It's new and I hope to get reviews on that. If anyone stayed there I would like ur opinions. Thank u

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[quote name='Ctrinh225']...My family is also coming back in July 2014 but we wanted to try Marriot Pompano Beach. It's new and I hope to get reviews on that. If anyone stayed there I would like ur opinions. Thank u

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
I haven't stayed there but I can tell you that there isn't anything around there other than hotels and hotel tikibars/restaurants and it is far from the airport so you really need a car. It is called Fort Lauderdale Pompano Marriott, but it is several miles north of the Fort Lauderdale border, with another city in between.

[quote name='Born2Sea']We will be cruising out of Port Everglades in April 2014 on Royal Princess. We will be flying down on Friday because of flying standby. We want a hotel near everything that is walking distance and fairly reasonably priced.

We would consider renting a car for the two day before the cruise, also if you have any good prices. What I have seen was high.[/QUOTE]

April rates are usually high. The lowest priced decent hotels by the port are:
Hyatt Place Convention Center on valuetrips.com
Holiday Inn Express Convention Center
Extended Stay 17th St

These beach are hotels are reasonably priced and good:
Alhambra Beach Resort
Bahia Mar Doubletree (it's a few blocks from places)

Our ship leaves at 5:30 pm. If we had a flight arriving at 4:17 pm would we have time to get to the ship? We could do only carry on. Also we arrive back in port at 5:30 am and there is a 7 am flight that would be preferable (to staying until 5:30 pm). Would that be doable? I am assuming FLL is a fairly small airport so it might work.

[quote name='chica']Our ship leaves at 5:30 pm. If we had a flight arriving at 4:17 pm would we have time to get to the ship? We could do only carry on. Also we arrive back in port at 5:30 am and there is a 7 am flight that would be preferable (to staying until 5:30 pm). Would that be doable? I am assuming FLL is a fairly small airport so it might work.[/quote]
Check with your cruise line to be sure, but I believe you have to be checked-in at least 90 minutes before the ship departure time. That would mean 4pm for a 5:30pm departure.

[quote name='chica']Our ship leaves at 5:30 pm. If we had a flight arriving at 4:17 pm would we have time to get to the ship? We could do only carry on. Also we arrive back in port at 5:30 am and there is a 7 am flight that would be preferable (to staying until 5:30 pm). Would that be doable? I am assuming FLL is a fairly small airport so it might work.[/QUOTE]

Neither one of those times are going to work. You *maybe* could make it to the ship by 5:30, but regulations require passengers to be on-board 90 minutes earlier--which obviously you won't be able to do.

Also, though the ship is scheduled to arrive back at 5:30, that doesn't mean you can get off right away. Usually the earliest you can get off, if carrying your luggage off is 7 or later.

Ft. Lauderdale airport is very close and we have made a 10:30 flight without problems, but I wouldn't recommend even that time if you have any other choice. Any little thing that goes wrong--ship arrives late, immigration is extra-slow, etc. could mean missing your flight.

If you possibly can fly in the day before, that's so much safer and more relaxed. Your 4:10 flight is truly impossible. Edited by Nebr.cruiser

Yeah I was thinking that would be too close. Guess we will fly in the day before as there are no other earlier choices from Phoenix. I was trying to avoid the hotel cost, but alas it appears impossible since I know I will not do an overnight flight with a 4 year old. Thanks!

[quote name='chica'] Also we arrive back in port at 5:30 am and there is a 7 am flight that would be preferable (to staying until 5:30 pm). Would that be doable? I am assuming FLL is a fairly small airport so it might work.[/QUOTE]

On our Jan 4 return, our ship arrived well before 7 am. We had a 9:05 time to go to a lounge so we could wait for our colour to be called so we could disembark. They keep announcing that there were stopping disembarking due to long lines at customs. When we did disembark, there were VERY long lines to go through customs.

If you decide to take the later flight, you can take one of the ship's disembark day tours for passengers that have late flights. The coaches takes you to either Ft Lauderdale or Miami airport after the tour. Or, you could rent a car for the day.

[quote name='chica']Yeah I was thinking that would be too close. Guess we will fly in the day before as there are no other earlier choices from Phoenix. I was trying to avoid the hotel cost, but alas it appears impossible since I know I will not do an overnight flight with a 4 year old. Thanks![/QUOTE]

I too am from Arizona and will be going to Ft. Lauderdale to cruise in November. I have been looking @ flights for several months now and the one that leaves @ 9 am in Phoenix and arrives like at 4 pm in Ft. Lauderdale (no stops) seems to be the best one. Because things can happen DH and I agree to go a day earlier and get a hotel room. Just figure it in as part of the cost. Have a great cruise! :D

[quote name='chica']Our ship leaves at 5:30 pm. If we had a flight arriving at 4:17 pm would we have time to get to the ship? We could do only carry on. Also we arrive back in port at 5:30 am and there is a 7 am flight that would be preferable (to staying until 5:30 pm). Would that be doable? I am assuming FLL is a fairly small airport so it might work.[/quote]

Hi:) I agree with the other folks.....you will not make it. Most crusielines
have very strict rules about when you need to be on board. You are not
going to make it......even if you only have a carry on.....the airport
is medium sized...and really the size of it is not the concern for you.:eek:
First, what if you flight is late? And even if it is on time? By the time
you get downstairs and get a cab? Another 20 minutes will go by.....

I would greatly stress to try and arrive a day early or at least a flight
that arrives in the morning..if you are flying in the day of the cruise.

What is valuetrips.com?

There is a great deal on Hyatt Place Convention Center? Which is good right? I was telling myself we had to do the Comfort Suites on Federal because it was about $179, and a little farther away from food, etc!

[URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1968460"][COLOR=#de203e]RCI Post Tour # FT16 Ft. Lauderdale Land & Sea[/COLOR][/URL]

We have booked this post tour after our Independence of the Sea cruise in March 2014 becuase we have a late flight and want to see a little of Ft. Lauderdale. but haven't seen many reviews about anyone else that has taken it as to how it was. This tour takes you to the airport after the tour.

Thanks,
Marcy[COLOR=#de203e] [/COLOR]

My daughter has booked a pre cruise hotel stay 1 night (Feb. 5) at the Historic Hollywood Beach Hotel on 101 N. Ocean Drive, Hollywood (yes, I know, the reviews are not great!). How is the location of this hotel? Any place to buy wine nearby? Distance from airport and cruise ship? Taxi best option to get from airport to hotel to port? Thanks!

[quote name='cspryor']What is valuetrips.com?

There is a great deal on Hyatt Place Convention Center? Which is good right? I was telling myself we had to do the Comfort Suites on Federal because it was about $179, and a little farther away from food, etc![/QUOTE]

A lot of CC members use Valuetrips and a lot of CC members like Hyatt Place. It is closer to 17th St shops and restaurants than Comfort Suites. They might have a $99 room for you during April. Edited by royalcruz

[quote name='kely53']My daughter has booked a pre cruise hotel stay 1 night (Feb. 5) at the Historic Hollywood Beach Hotel on 101 N. Ocean Drive, Hollywood (yes, I know, the reviews are not great!). How is the location of this hotel? Any place to buy wine nearby? Distance from airport and cruise ship? Taxi best option to get from airport to hotel to port? Thanks![/QUOTE]

Well, it's right on the beach. I'm not sure what stores are around there for wine, but I know there are no grocery or drug stores. It's about 7 miles from the FLL airport and 10 miles from Port Everglades. Taxis will cost about $35 per carload.