Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Booked cruise out of FLL and trying to make flight plans.

Assuming our ship docks at 7 a.m. As planned, realizing it takes awhile to disembark as we aren't priority, what time would you seasoned cruisers recommend flight time without a big rush?

Thanks.

Assuming our ship docks at 7 a.m. As planned, realizing it takes awhile to disembark as we aren't priority, what time would you seasoned cruisers recommend flight time without a big rush?

Thanks.

If cruising from PE and flying from FLL, book a flight 11 AM or later. You can usually get to the airport by 8:30 AM if you self-disembark, but you never know how long it will take to clear the ship with the authorities, disembark passengers, and get everybody through the customs lines.

Thanks.

I have been cruising for 10+ years (that would be pretty seasoned;))

My suggestion is a noon flight or after:)

We will be in Ft. Lauderdale on Jan 1, pre-cruise, staying at the Best Western Oceanside. Would most restaurants be open for lunch and/or dinner? Are there any moderately priced, casual dining options within walking distance? That translates to 5 or 6 blocks one way. Is there a better option on the bus route that goes past this hotel? The only ethnic food my DH will eat is Italian. A nice sandwich shop or deli will work as well.

Also, where would we find an open drug store or market in case we forgot something? Would there be anything within walking distance or near a suggested restaurant on the bus line? Which bus route is it that goes past this hotel?

Thank you for your assistance. This board makes travel to Fort Lauderdale so comfortable because of the valuable advice so readily given by those of you who live there.

Linda

Edited by taxlady214
Added an additional question

We will be in Ft. Lauderdale on Jan 1, pre-cruise, staying at the Best Western Oceanside. Would most restaurants be open for lunch and/or dinner? Are there any moderately priced, casual dining options within walking distance? That translates to 5 or 6 blocks one way. Is there a better option on the bus route that goes past this hotel? The only ethnic food my DH will eat is Italian. A nice sandwich shop or deli will work as well.

Linda

I stayed up the street at the Courtyard Marriott Beach back in September. There was a really tasty place that had pizza and pasta. It's right past Bubba Gumps (heading north). I can't remember then name, though. We had dessert one night at the Oasis Cafe. It was OK.

Also, where would we find an open drug store or market in case we forgot something? Would there be anything within walking distance or near a suggested restaurant on the bus line? Which bus route is it that goes past this hotel?

Thank you for your assistance. This board makes travel to Fort Lauderdale so comfortable because of the valuable advice so readily given by those of you who live there.

Linda

The 40 bus goes past the hotel...contact Broward County Transit for holiday schedule. Suntrolley also goes past the hotel. If you go south on A1A, the closest drug store is Walgreens on the corner of Eisenhower Blvd. If you go north on A1A, the closest is CVS at BeachPlace.

The closest casual moderately priced dining is Mexican food at Sheraton, Bahia Mar waterfront cafe, All About Food deli at Bahia Mar, Oasis, and Bubba Gumps. I would suggest calling them and asking if they'll be open. Most of the town will be closed down on New Year's Day but some restaurants will be open.

Edited by royalcruz

Anyone have any comments/advice about the park n go? Not park n fly.

Actually, my question also. I have a 14 night cruise so I imagine that Park N Go is a good bit cheaper than the port. We do not have a pre crusie hotel so need a parking lot.

I don't sail from Ft Lauderdale often. What is the current port parking rate?

Thanks all

M

I have a cruise booked out of Miami in October (I know a long way out)

My flights are to/from FLL. I have booked pre cruise nights at Doubletree Gallery One for $87 + tax. Post cruise we have the Embassy Suites for $103 + tax. These were booked through Hilton MVP and can be cancelled if need be.

These rates seem to be an OK rate to me but I don't know much about FLL hotels.

So my question is am I likely to find these hotels or similar cheaper and keep looking, or be happy with what I have already got and just keep the booking.

TIA

Jo

I stayed up the street at the Courtyard Marriott Beach back in September. There was a really tasty place that had pizza and pasta. It's right past Bubba Gumps (heading north). I can't remember then name, though. We had dessert one night at the Oasis Cafe. It was OK.

How did you like that Courtyard? We're booked three nights precruise early March.

My flights are to/from FLL. I have booked pre cruise nights at Doubletree Gallery One for $87 + tax. Post cruise we have the Embassy Suites for $103 + tax. These were booked through Hilton MVP and can be cancelled if need be.

So my question is am I likely to find these hotels or similar cheaper and keep looking, or be happy with what I have already got and just keep the booking.

TIA

Jo

The rates look good to me. We usually stay at the Embassy Suites and the rate is $200 +.

TIA

Jo

Gallery 1 is a steal at that price. I have it booked on MVP for February at $149 + tax and in March at $199 + tax, both booked in July

TIA

Jo

Rates in October tend to be low, and the rates you got are very good for both hotels. Both hotels are very good. If you want to get a lower rate, just keep checking the mvp rate around the end of the summer and rebook at the lower rate if there is one.

When is a good time to start pricing out hotels in FLL for a November cruise? I'm guessing about 6 months out should be good...right? :confused:

You should reserve what you want in advance that is refundable, and look for better pricing starting 3 months before.

Coming in Early Feb for 2 night pre-cruise...which moderately priced hotels would you recommend with shopping,wine stores close by in a safe area? Any help would be greatly appreciated:D

I would book Hyatt Place Convention Center on Valuetrips. Another option is Sleep Inn...it's not rated as highly, but the prices are great and Publix on the same block has a good wine selection. Also look at Holiday Inn Express and Extended Stay, SE 17th St locations.

I would book Hyatt Place Convention Center on Valuetrips. Another option is Sleep Inn...it's not rated as highly, but the prices are great and Publix on the same block has a good wine selection. Also look at Holiday Inn Express and Extended Stay, SE 17th St locations.

Finding the rates for the Sleep Inn in february are more then the valuetrips...Is the Hyatt close to the Publix and amenities as is the Sleep Inn

Finding the rates for the Sleep Inn in february are more then the valuetrips...Is the Hyatt close to the Publix and amenities as is the Sleep Inn

Yes, Hyatt Place Convention Center is close to the port and there is Publix, Total Wine, and dozens of restaurants an easy walk away. Valuetrips is a favorite of CC members but don't wait to book. I believe there is still an airport shuttle and breakfast included.

Edited by royalcruz

We're sailing on Ruby Princess on 3/01/14. We will be driving to Fort Lauderdale. Can anyone share some tips on a good place to park our car? Perhaps a hotel that offers free cruise parking for guests.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

A lot of hotels used to offer free cruise parking but now charge for it or do park & cruise packages for an extra fee. I believe Fairfield Inn, Springhill Suites, LaQuinta Hollywood, and Homewood Suites still offer this for free. Springhill includes a free ride to the port. Hampton Inn downtown Fort Lauderdale does a package deal including parking and free port shuttle.

Howdy. Skimmed through a bunch of pages and decided just to ask (no doubt again)...

We are leaving on the Crown Princess and would like to just park at the port and wheel our luggage over. We just walk on these days (no porters needed). First time to do this at FLL. Is the garage/lot close enough for an easy walk over? Anything I should worry about?

Thanks!

Edited by jkskrap