Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

I apologize if this question is old or have been asked. We just came back from FLL and observed a lot of construction. On our way to the port, we asked the cab driver what was being built. He said that they are building a tram that will connect the airport to the port.

Is this true? When is the estimated time of completion?

The taxi rides are quick and cost inexpensive...wondering if the cost of the tram would be similar? Thank you.

We will be flying in this Saturday, spending the night at Holiday Inn Express on 17th Street before our cruise. We plan to take a cab from the hotel to the pier. Should we call the day before and reserve a cab or do we just call when we are ready to go? Needless to say, we've never done this before. Thanks.

We will be flying in this Saturday, spending the night at Holiday Inn Express on 17th Street before our cruise. We plan to take a cab from the hotel to the pier. Should we call the day before and reserve a cab or do we just call when we are ready to go? Needless to say, we've never done this before. Thanks.

Hi,:) no need to call the day before. There are cabs going up and down

17th Street all the time. It will be very easy to catch one the morning

you need it.

Have a great time:D

Thanks everyone for your help...whats the La Quinta in Hollywood like?

We stay at the one on N. 26th Ave. It's nice & clean, walking distance to TGI Friday's, BJs, Marshalls. Excellent service. The only issue is that the elevators are quite slow, so it can be frustrating going up & down.

I apologize if this question is old or have been asked. We just came back from FLL and observed a lot of construction. On our way to the port, we asked the cab driver what was being built. He said that they are building a tram that will connect the airport to the port.

Is this true? When is the estimated time of completion?

The taxi rides are quick and cost inexpensive...wondering if the cost of the tram would be similar? Thank you.

I've never heard of such a thing. They are building a new runway that goes up a ramp, and they are building train tracks to connect to the main train line, which will be used for transporting cargo off the cargo ships. As a result, they also need to reconstruct the exit ramps that connect the airport to US1.

I've never heard of such a thing. They are building a new runway that goes up a ramp, and they are building train tracks to connect to the main train line, which will be used for transporting cargo off the cargo ships. As a result, they also need to reconstruct the exit ramps that connect the airport to US1.

I thought I had heard of a similar plan so I googled FLL to Port Everglades people mover. It has been discussed on and off since the early 90s (:eek:) until as recently as a couple of years ago by Broward County government. Given the current fiscal environment, it is probably still wishful thinking (not to mention whether locals could/would want to live through that construction once the runway expansion is completed :D.)

I thought I had heard of a similar plan so I googled FLL to Port Everglades people mover. It has been discussed on and off since the early 90s (:eek:) until as recently as a couple of years ago by Broward County government. Given the current fiscal environment, it is probably still wishful thinking (not to mention whether locals could/would want to live through that construction once the runway expansion is completed :D.)

Even when the fiscal environment was much better, I can't see how such a project would make sense, especially since there are so many terminals spread out all over the port, and a taxi is only about $15.

Any help would be appreciated.

We will be driving down to cruise out of FLL/Port Everglades in March and are looking for a hotel to stay at the night before and leave our car parked for the duration of the cruise.

Is there any areas to avoid (I have found a few hotels that offer the long term parking but all say unsecured)? Or would we be better to find a cheap hotel and park at the pier?

Or any hotels you would recommend?

Thanks and happy new year.

Looking for somewhere at FLL/Port Everglades pier to meet the rest of our group prior to embarkation.

Not exactly sure what you mean. Can't you meet inside the terminal building?

Edited by clarea

Not exactly sure what you mean. Can't you meet inside the terminal building?

We've never sailed out of Port Everglades so didn't know if there was anywhere we could meet before we checked in (I'd like to be able to tell them a specific spot that they couldn't miss).

We've never sailed out of Port Everglades so didn't know if there was anywhere we could meet before we checked in (I'd like to be able to tell them a specific spot that they couldn't miss).

We've only used 3 different terminals at Port Everglades, but they all had places to sit to wait until boarding has started. You could check-in and then sit and wait for the others to show up.

Once you get in line you'll be instructed to keep moving. You could meet at the end of the line or by the luggage porters. There are about 8 differerent terminals and this would apply to all of them.

Any help would be appreciated.

We will be driving down to cruise out of FLL/Port Everglades in March and are looking for a hotel to stay at the night before and leave our car parked for the duration of the cruise.

Is there any areas to avoid (I have found a few hotels that offer the long term parking but all say unsecured)? Or would we be better to find a cheap hotel and park at the pier?

Or any hotels you would recommend?

Thanks and happy new year.

I don't know of any hotel parking lots that are really secured. If you can get the parking package at Renaissance, Embassy Suites, or Hyatt Place Convention Center, the neighborhood is very safe; Renaissance has a parking garage. The port has 24 hr security so park there if you want the highest security. If you stay at too cheap a hotel, your car might have issues sitting there overnight. Actually, you might give the Hampton Inn downtown a call...they have a parking garage and maybe they have security.

Edited by royalcruz

I don't have a lot of experience with taxis, so apologies if my question seems inane...

when we cruised out of New Orleans and landed there, we were able to walk up to a taxi stand and a taxi was called for us and we were delivered straight to our hotel. Is it a similar set up at the Ft. Lauderdale airport or is it more up to us to flag down a waiting cab?

I don't have a lot of experience with taxis, so apologies if my question seems inane...

when we cruised out of New Orleans and landed there, we were able to walk up to a taxi stand and a taxi was called for us and we were delivered straight to our hotel. Is it a similar set up at the Ft. Lauderdale airport or is it more up to us to flag down a waiting cab?

It's a similar set up. Cabs are easily available.

Hi, when flying into Ft. Lauderdale you will go downstairs to baggage

claim and once you get your bags? You will go outside and there are

folks out there who handle the cab stand.....go see them and they

will get you a cab. I have tried to get a cab myself over the years

and they frown upon that:rolleyes:....so the set up sounds like it is just like

New Orleans.

Help please!! We are renting a car for 6 hrs post cruise. Any suggestions?? My husband, son (18) and his friend will be along, so no malls. They love exotic/expensive cars. Maybe an airboat ride?? Something that'll get us out of the car for a few hours.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Help please!! We are renting a car for 6 hrs post cruise. Any suggestions?? My husband, son (18) and his friend will be along, so no malls. They love exotic/expensive cars. Maybe an airboat ride?? Something that'll get us out of the car for a few hours.

Thanks for any suggestions.

http://fortlauderdale-south.ebizautos.com/ You could visit this exotic car dealership.

You could ride the water taxi and stop for lunch and drinks on the river or intracoastal.

If it's a rainy day a mall will be the best place to be.

I've never done an airboat ride (no interest for me) so I can't recommend any specifics.

Hi, when flying into Ft. Lauderdale you will go downstairs to baggage

claim and once you get your bags? You will go outside and there are

folks out there who handle the cab stand.....go see them and they

will get you a cab. I have tried to get a cab myself over the years

and they frown upon that:rolleyes:....so the set up sounds like it is just like

New Orleans.

Great! Thanks!! (my husband has this dislike/distrust of cabs so the better prepared I am, the easier it is for all of us!) I can't wait - 4 weeks from tomorrow. It's snowing right now and I'm on crutches. Neither of these will be true when I make it to Florida! ;)

Please help. My husband and I will be cruising in April with our daughter who will be 8 months at the time. This will be our first cruise with baby, our first child. We are looking to avoid connecting flights so may fly a day early or stay an extra day to avoid. Can you help me find a good hotel? Stupid question: do we need car seat for shuttles? Please help. Thank you in advance.