Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Thanks for catching that error! :oEither way, that's a lot of people in a small area. I know my cruise is many, many months away but like everyone else, I want if NOW! Thanks for you assistance in answering my question. :)

Glad to help:)

I am trying to decide if we should stay at Embassy Suites on 17th street or Courtyard Marriott Ft. Lauderdale Beach for a 3 night pre-cruise stay in March. We have stayed at the Holiday Inn down the street from Embassy and it was fine...but I liked the location of Embassy Suites better as it was much closer to grocery store and it also has a nice looking pool. The Sun Trolley is also nearby to go to the beach of we want to walk around.

The Courtyard sounds nice as well and is right on the beach if I understand correctly. Does anyone know if there is a grocery store or Walgreen's or something like that nearby to purchase soda and stuff to take on ship? Are the places to go for dinner nearby as well? Not sure if in March the water at beach will be warm enough to swim in anyways.

Any opinions would be appreciated as I am not familiar with the Courtyard Marriott at all.

Thanks!

We, too, are staying 3 precruise nights in March--we've decided on Courtyard for several reasons. Last year, precruise, we stayed at 17th Embassy for ONE night and it was perfect! We hit Total Wine, had a couple comp drinks at Manager's Reception, ate at one of the restaurants in the adjacent plaza, comped b'fast the next day and took a nice walk down 17th St before catching the shuttle to the port.

For three nights, though, we want to be on/across from the beach. Bubba Gump's is downstairs in the Courtyard and supplies their room service. Coconuts (highly recommended restaurant) is across the street as is a 7-Eleven. It's close to Las Olas and Water Taxi stop. If you're a Marriott Rewards member (or sign up for free) you can get breakfast included in your rate. We're not going to rent a car, so we aren't concerned about the high valet-only daily parking rate. It's an older property and has its issues, as you can read on Trip Advisor, but we decided that beach view/proximity and other mentioned location pluses sealed the deal.

I'm sure you'll be happy whichever you choose.

I am trying to decide if we should stay at Embassy Suites on 17th street or Courtyard Marriott Ft. Lauderdale Beach for a 3 night pre-cruise stay in March. We have stayed at the Holiday Inn down the street from Embassy and it was fine...but I liked the location of Embassy Suites better as it was much closer to grocery store and it also has a nice looking pool. The Sun Trolley is also nearby to go to the beach of we want to walk around.

The Courtyard sounds nice as well and is right on the beach if I understand correctly. Does anyone know if there is a grocery store or Walgreen's or something like that nearby to purchase soda and stuff to take on ship? Are the places to go for dinner nearby as well? Not sure if in March the water at beach will be warm enough to swim in anyways.

Any opinions would be appreciated as I am not familiar with the Courtyard Marriott at all.

Thanks!

You might as well stay in a different neighborhood this time. For 3 nights I'd rather be at the beach. Some recommended restaurants within walking distance are Coconuts, h2O, Casablanca, Lulu's Bait Shack, Bahia Cabana (for the place but the food isn't great), and 3030 if you want upscale. In additionn to 7-11 right down the street, there is a CVS less than a mile away, and a liquor store about 3 blocks away (Plaza Liquor). You can always take a taxi or Suntrolley or bus to 17th St or Sunrise Blvd to go to Publix, Total Wine, and Galleria Mall.

If you're a Marriott Rewards member (or sign up for free) you can get breakfast included in your rate. We're not going to rent a car, so we aren't concerned about the high valet-only daily parking rate.

Wanted to add, for clarification, once I knew I wanted to stay there, I ended up booking directly through the Marriott website because that's where I found the best rate and bundle of "reward" stuff. BTW, signed up for the reward program the day I booked, so it's not like I was a long time or high-point member.

You might as well stay in a different neighborhood this time. For 3 nights I'd rather be at the beach. Some recommended restaurants within walking distance are Coconuts, h2O, Casablanca, Lulu's Bait Shack, Bahia Cabana (for the place but the food isn't great), and 3030 if you want upscale. In additionn to 7-11 right down the street, there is a CVS less than a mile away, and a liquor store about 3 blocks away (Plaza Liquor). You can always take a taxi or Suntrolley or bus to 17th St or Sunrise Blvd to go to Publix, Total Wine, and Galleria Mall.

Thanks for adding that addt'l info...you'd advised me of some of this in prior helpful post and you've thrown in a couple of other things. Will add to my notes.

I hope Cruise Critic appreciates you...I certainly do!

Wanted to add, for clarification, once I knew I wanted to stay there, I ended up booking directly through the Marriott website because that's where I found the best rate and bundle of "reward" stuff. BTW, signed up for the reward program the day I booked, so it's not like I was a long time or high-point member.

Thanks for the info. Right now for my dates the rate is way cheaper on Last Minute Travel so not sure we would get the free breakfast even though I am a rewards member.

Thanks for posting!

Thanks for the info! Sounds like it would be a good location. Do you happen to know if shuttles or someone will pick us up there as our cruise leaves from Miami?

Thanks for the info! Sounds like it would be a good location. Do you happen to know if shuttles or someone will pick us up there as our cruise leaves from Miami?

I don't know which shuttle services pick up from there, but you can always take a taxi to the airport for about $20 and get a reserved shuttle like SAS from there. That would still be much cheaper than a taxi.

Hi

We will be staying at the Atlantic Spa Hotel for two nights prior ot our cruise and wondered if we should have brakfast in the Hotel (which I presume would be costly) or go out to eat . Is thers any nerby rests that would do breakfast or should we just eat in the Hotel.

Cheers

Scotslizzy

Hi

We will be staying at the Atlantic Spa Hotel for two nights prior ot our cruise and wondered if we should have brakfast in the Hotel (which I presume would be costly) or go out to eat . Is thers any nerby rests that would do breakfast or should we just eat in the Hotel.

Cheers

Scotslizzy

The Deck restaurant in the hotel next door is inexpensive and also has an ocean view.

We are staying at the Double Tree Gallery One in March for a pre-cruise on Carnival Freedom. They do not offer shuttle to the port so we will have to take a cab....any idea of cost?

Also is there family restaurants close by, we are traveling with 2 teenagers....fancy restaurants are out of the question for these "CHICKEN FINGER" and cheeseburger kids?

Also want to walk to the beach or maybe a trolley there if possible.

We are staying at the Double Tree Gallery One in March for a pre-cruise on Carnival Freedom. They do not offer shuttle to the port so we will have to take a cab....any idea of cost?

Also is there family restaurants close by, we are traveling with 2 teenagers....fancy restaurants are out of the question for these "CHICKEN FINGER" and cheeseburger kids?

Also want to walk to the beach or maybe a trolley there if possible.

Taxi to port should be about $20 per taxi.

Family restaurants on the block: P.F. Changs, Jade Palace, Burger Fi, La Cantina, Frankie & Vinnie's.

Just a few blocks walk to the beach. Easy.

Edited by royalcruz

sounds great....read that there may be a Cheesecake factory nearby also...I would like that .. :)

Thank you

There is a Cheesecake Factory on Las Olas Blvd. If you are staying

at the Doubetree Galleria? Take the Water Taxi to Las Olas...the

Cheesecake Factory is there.

Does anyone know anything about the Fairfield Inn & Suites in Dania Beach? Weve been looking for a stay, park & cruise package since we're driving down the day before the cruise... This is the only hotel i can seem to find with that package... How far from port everglades/fll beach is dania beach area? We googled and found there is a bubba gumps in the area is this close (within 20mins) ?

Does anyone know anything about the Fairfield Inn & Suites in Dania Beach? Weve been looking for a stay, park & cruise package since we're driving down the day before the cruise... This is the only hotel i can seem to find with that package... How far from port everglades/fll beach is dania beach area? We googled and found there is a bubba gumps in the area is this close (within 20mins) ?

We've stayed at that hotel a couple of times. Nice, clean, free airport shuttle, free breakfast, free internet. The shuttle to the port is some nominal charge, something like $8 per person.

Fairfield Dania Beach is just 5 miles south of the port. Bubba Gumps is on Fort Lauderdale Beach, about a 20 minute ride (about 8 miles).

sounds great....read that there may be a Cheesecake factory nearby also...I would like that .. :)

Thank you

Cheesecake Factory is 3 miles from Gallery One, but there is a Seasons 52 a block away from the hotel which is a good chain restaurant too (and healthy).

What about the Holiday Inn Express at 1150 State Road 84.. they have the package available for our dates is this a good area or am i better off with the Fairfield Inn ? I also found SpringHill suites that has the package available for our dates in dania beach... opinions on all 3 please!!

What about the Holiday Inn Express at 1150 State Road 84.. they have the package available for our dates is this a good area or am i better off with the Fairfield Inn ? I also found SpringHill suites that has the package available for our dates in dania beach... opinions on all 3 please!!

None of these areas is great, but none are bad neighborhoods. With a car they would all be fine. SR 84 is closest to the port and is by a small shopping center (not much there to speak of). Fairfield isn't near much of anything but there is a really fun bar/restaurant called "the Field" about a mile or 2 away (and Rustic Inn is down the street, if you like crab houses). Springhill is by a huge shopping center with a bunch of chain restaurants and Kmart.

I had never been to a Hilton Garden Inn, and had to go to the one off Stirling Rd today for a seminar. I didn't get into any of the hotel rooms, so I cannot comment on that.

Front desk staff: very friendly and helpful

concessions: They sold food, snacks, and drinks. No wine. A diet coke was $2.75 for a 22 oz bottle.

lobby: small but nice

breakfast area: nice and they served fruit-infused water all day. There is an outdoor patio with several tables too.

parking: tiny spots and I had to wait for a spot to open up. There are a lot of conference rooms, and I'm sure there are more seats than parking spaces.

bathroom: only 4 women's stalls to serve the entire first floor, which is not at all adequate when you have a breakfast restaurant and conference rooms that hold hundreds of people

pool: I only saw 6 lounge chairs but there were a couple of tables and chairs. There was a supply of pool towels on a stand.

location: across the street from Oakwood Plaza and you could go to Chipotle without crossing the street.

shuttle: the airport shuttle was busy going back and forth all day. There is also a port shuttle, and they will pick you up from the port if you prepay.

Would I stay here? Yes, if I just wanted a room for one night and no frills.

Happy travels!:D