When to include....

jdlowndes

we haven't cruised yet but when we do it will be with our children and we are planning on going in Jan...they will be 8 and 7 at that time. We would have probably done it at an earlier age but we either didn't have the money or had other plans because of family or something.

We are bringing our DD who will be 5 on her first cruise...Legend .... Jan 3. This is also the first cruise we've taken since she was born. DH & I love to cruise. Our DD goes on every vacation with us.

Our kids were 12 or 13 when we started cruising but would not hesitate to have taken them when they were much younger. A story I remember, we were cruising out of New Orleans on the Enchanted Isle several years ago. There was a young couple in line in front of us with 4 young children, approximately 2 through 7 when the husband got a call from his company and had to miss the cruise to fly back to work. His wife decided to go ahead and cruise, something I don't believe my wife would have ever attempted by herself. We saw the young lady several times during the cruise and she had some of the best behaved children I have ever seen.

I have always brought my children so I am not a good barometer on this. I would say infants are probably not a great idea and toddlers will never remember the trip, but once they are 5 or 6 they are able to keep up and may also remember what they have seen. We didn't start cruising until my youngest was 7 and he had a fantastic time and remembers every moment.

We took our ds on his first when he was 4. He loved it and remembers a lot of stuff. He loved Camp Carnival which was nice because it gave me and DH a few hours of "adult time". I've sailed twice without the kids and 3 times with kids and I may be in the minority for saying so but I prefer to have my kids with me. I love how happy they are and the memories made are priceless.

We're now taking him on his 3rd cruise in January.

We have been on 5 cruises without our dd...she enjoys a week with her grandparents while we enjoy some couple time.

She is 5 now and we are taking her with us in November. She is at the age where I know she will enjoy Camp Carnival and she has the manners to eat in the dining room. To me, this is the perfect age.

My husband and I are getting our "couple time" in Vegas this year :)

I would wait until they are 5 or 6 so they will at least remember some of the trip and be able to keep up without naps.

Archived