ATL connection domestic

mina

In April. I will have a 50 minute connection (delta to delta) in Atlanta going to FLL at 2 pm on a friday. I will come in on a flight from Phx that has a 98% on time stat. I am concerned about making the flight as I will not be checking my bag -- hate to be the last one on the flight and have no place to store my bag. Is this connection too tight? Also, if you do have to gate check your bag now a days -- do they charge you for it given that they charge for checking your bag? THANKS!!!

Be sure that you check the Delta Airlines web site so that you know the precise size bag that you can carry on the airplane. If you meet the requirements and by the time you get to the plane and there is no room for the bag you won't have to pay for it.

Personally, I don't like connections of 50 minutes and would prefer a longer one.

Are you trying to make a cruise that same day? Are there any implications if you miss the connection in terms of where you need to be that day?

Keith

Delta's baggage allowance is here

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/baggage_allowance/index.jsp

Weigh less than 40 pounds (18 kg).

Not exceed 45 inches (length + width + height), or 115 cm.

Fit easily in our SizeCheck® unit (approximately 22"x14"x9", or 56x36x23cm).

Fit in an overhead bin or underneath the seat in front of you.

If the bins are full and there is no room they will check it for free. After all it isn't your fault. You would get your bag at the final destination. Delta boards by row number so if your second flight is towards the back half of the plane, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. This usually happens to the last couple people boarding which are towards the front.

They should not charge you for a gate check since you would have put it in overhead storage if the plane was bigger. Delta is going to say 50 min is a legal connection. In fact 45 min is a legal connection in their minds. It is a little tight though (especially if you have to retrieve a bag from gate check).

50 minutes is indeed a legit ground time in Atlanta.

Since my Delta frequent flyer number is almost in the single digits and Hartsfield-Jackson is my second home I can only urge you to be vigilent about checking your itinerary on line frequently. There is no telling how many changes you will have before you actually take off.

A change of flight number may kick out your seat assignment and a quick call will get this taken care of. A change of flight times will also be handled to your benefit. If a change should occur within the 45 minute window call asap. Delta has quite a few flights to FLL and they can even put you on a Miami flight if that works.

If any portion of your itinerary is on a regional jet you will be required to gate check your bag if it will not fit under the seat or in the overhead.

Now to the good part. A 50 minute ground time is very doable. There are five concourses connected by a subway system which runs frequently. To aid the process select seats as far forward as you can. The biggest delay will come getting off your Phoenix flight.

You can google the airport and see how well laid out it is and there will be ground personnel to assist you.

Don't fret about your April trip, just check your itinerary from time to time. As Delta completes the takeover of Northwest there will continue to be changes. Hopefully by March everything should settle down and April flights will take off with the same great performance record.

Thank you all for the input and advice. I am going in two days in advance of our cruise (leaves on Sunday) -- so even if the connection is missed -- I can get there in time. I have selected the closet seat forward (about half way through the plane) on the phx flight and have a seat in the back on the atl to FLL flight. My husband will be in JAX visitng his grand kids and we meet up in FLL -- he comes in on sat -- I was hoping for one night with room service and the remote to my self at the Ren. But -- if I don't make it I will still have plenty of time to hook up with him and have a nice day on Sat!

You all have settled my mind -- it will be a great vacation!! THANK YOU!!

Archived