Where should I get my on-board gifts delivered?

PJOZ

I want to pre-pay for some cocktail cards, soda cards etc before our cruise on the Volendam. There is the choice of having the cards delivered to Dining, Cabin -at sea or Cabin - in port. I would like them to be waiting in our cabin when we board in case we want to use them the first afternoon, but just wanted to check that "Cabin - in port" is the correct choice. This might sound silly but I am just worried that "in port" might mean the first port we get to, after two days at sea? It would mean in the port that you are embarking from right?

Thanks, Penny

If you have any proof of purchase, bring that along. Could be printout from computer if you order online or credit card bill/receipt. If there is a problem when you arrive, head right on down to the front desk so they can start work on it right away.

I want to pre-pay for some cocktail cards, soda cards etc before our cruise on the Volendam. There is the choice of having the cards delivered to Dining, Cabin -at sea or Cabin - in port. I would like them to be waiting in our cabin when we board in case we want to use them the first afternoon, but just wanted to check that "Cabin - in port" is the correct choice. This might sound silly but I am just worried that "in port" might mean the first port we get to, after two days at sea? It would mean in the port that you are embarking from right?

Thanks, Penny

This will be our first time on HAL. I have looked at the Gift section. I can not find where to find the cocktail cards and soda cards. In what section did you find them.

Ahoy!

I've always checked the "delivered at sea" option for the booze / wine cards.You will avoid the local sales tax, if applicable, depending on embarkation port, and the cards (at least in my experience over the years) have always been on the desk when first arriving in our cabin. Not much savings really but one doesn't want to shower the tax-man with too much dough, no?

In so far as pre-ordering stuff it's a matter of: going to the booked guests section of the HAL site, ordering gifts, my login (or set up an account if you haven't done so), hit the gift category (in this case beverage) and the display will show you the various cards, packages, individual bottle pricing, etc.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

I've always checked the "delivered at sea" option for the booze / wine cards.You will avoid the local sales tax, if applicable, depending on embarkation port, and the cards (at least in my experience over the years) have always been on the desk when first arriving in our cabin. Not much savings really but one doesn't want to shower the tax-man with too much dough, no?
I believe sales taxes are only applied to purchases in the embarkation terminal or on-board while still at the pier. At least we have never paid FL sales taxes on anything we've ordered through Seattle, and the cards have been in the cabin when we got there.

Ahoy!

In so far as pre-ordering stuff it's a matter of: going to the booked guests section of the HAL site, ordering gifts, my login (or set up an account if you haven't done so), hit the gift category (in this case beverage) and the display will show you the various cards, packages, individual bottle pricing, etc.

Have a wonderful cruise!

I believe sales taxes are only applied to purchases in the embarkation terminal or on-board while still at the pier. At least we have never paid FL sales taxes on anything we've ordered through Seattle, and the cards have been in the cabin when we got there.

I find both of your posts quite interesting..I never paid attention to the Florida sales tax before..In Lee County the tax is 6%..Don't know what the tax would be in Port Everglades..

Also can't understand why they would charge tax on a soda or wine card at all, since one boarding HAL it is considered another country.. I learned this when trying to mail packages in Alaska..The U.S. customs agent had to examine our packages afterf we filled out a customs form..

Betty

We were surprised when, having our first onboard drink at the Lido Bar several years ago (prior to the ship leaving the pier), that we were charged Florida sales tax. Bartender explained it to us. Florida (for one) wants its cut! As soon as the ship sails, there is no sales tax, just the tip. ----Penny

We were surprised when, having our first onboard drink at the Lido Bar several years ago (prior to the ship leaving the pier), that we were charged Florida sales tax. Bartender explained it to us. Florida (for one) wants its cut! As soon as the ship sails, there is no sales tax, just the tip. ----Penny

...sales tax thing was that a couple we befriended a few years ago while cruising mentioned (I have no idea how it came up) that when they had prepurchased the wine cards for cabin (versus at sea) delivery they noted a sales tax charge on their Visa card statement. I believe they said it was a seperate listed sales tax charge for the beverage card purchase.

Actually I've gotten flowers for my wife and have never noted any sort of extra sales tax charge. Go figure.

Here are some old links talking about the sales taxes charged while a ship is in port / inside the 3 mile limit:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/archive/index.php?t-489255.html

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/archive/index.php?t-382857.html

In any event, don't worry about a few bucks one way or the other. Concentrate on having a GREAT CRUISE!

We always pre-order bottles of alcohol for our cabin -- have never had to pay the Florida sales tax on them.

Sometimes we wait until we get to the ship to order a wine card -- so far we have been lucky on this -- the bar tender hand writes out our receipt -- just marks on it "wine card + 15% gratuity" -- no final amount.

I always like to stay on top of things so on about day 3 I ask for a preliminary bill -- the purchase of the wine card shows up -- and no Florida sales tax. It seems that some of the bar tenders wait until late in the evening after the ship has sailed to enter the purchases.

Thanks everyone, appreciate your help - will opt to have them delivered in cabin - at sea, just in case Goods and Services Tax would apply while we are in port in Sydney - would rather not pay an extra 10% if I don't have to! And I will certainly remember to pack my paperwork so I have confirmation of purchase.

Phabric, To order the cards I went to: booked guests - onboard gifts - then click "order gifts" on the right hand side. You then have to log in with a different user name to your account one (so you seem to log in twice), then choose recipients then you get into the gifts. Go to the section called "Beverages".

Bob, thanks for your advice and by the way I really enjoyed your comprehensive and entertaining review on the Prisendam, made me laugh and wish I was on my cruise right now having a Bloody Mary - a tradition with us also.

Thanks, Penny

[quote name=PJOZ;2105454

Phabric' date=' To order the cards I went to: booked guests - onboard gifts - then click "order gifts" on the right hand side. You then have to log in with a different user name to your account one (so you seem to log in twice), then choose recipients then you get into the gifts. Go to the section called "Beverages".

Thanks, Penny

Thanks for the information. We are a year away from our cruise on the Veendam. It might be too early to look under this section. I can get to the section Booked Guests - On Board Gifts and it shows the brochure listing some of the prices. I am looking for the prices for a cocktail card.

Archived