Off the beaten path for lobster

gottagoacruzn

Hi guys, going on the Explorer ots in Oct to Canada/New England, does anybody know of any off the beaten path to eat lobster? Stops include Bar Harbor, Portland Maine, Boston, Halifax and St. Johns. Got to eat one of them lobsters, and be taking lots of pictures.

thanks,

Virginia

• 3 weeks later...

To get lobster off the beaten path in Bar Harbor, some form of transportation is needed. So I would suggest one of these three restaurants, all within an easy walk from the tender dock, instead. The Fish House Grill http://fishhouse-grill.com/home.html , located at the tender dock; Stewmans Lobster Pound http://www.stewmanslobsterpound.com/default.asp , just north of the tender dock, about a 3 minute walk from the there; and the West St Cafe http://www.weststreetcafe.com/default.asp?id=1 , located diagonally across the street from Stewmans, about a 5 minute walk from the tender dock. Either if these, will give you what you want.

When in October is the cruise, before or after Columbus Day?

SBtS

• 1 month later...

I posted this on another thread: In Portland,

Here's another alternative if you are "adventurous"! Just down from where you are docking is: http://www.threesonslobsterandfish.com/

This is a family run lobster pound, where you can pick out your own live lobster(s); they'll cook it for you; and you can eat it out on one of their picnic tables overlooking the working waterfront. Can't get much more authentic than that!

If it's not a nice warm day, then opt for one of the restaurants in the same vicinity. Have fun!

(Gilbert's Chowder House is a good alternative if the weather isn't cooperating!)

• 1 month later...
To get lobster off the beaten path in Bar Harbor, some form of transportation is needed. So I would suggest one of these three restaurants, all within an easy walk from the tender dock, instead. The Fish House Grill http://fishhouse-grill.com/home.html , located at the tender dock; Stewmans Lobster Pound http://www.stewmanslobsterpound.com/default.asp , just north of the tender dock, about a 3 minute walk from the there; and the West St Cafe http://www.weststreetcafe.com/default.asp?id=1 , located diagonally across the street from Stewmans, about a 5 minute walk from the tender dock. Either if these, will give you what you want.

When in October is the cruise, before or after Columbus Day?

SBtS

Hi SB&S, the cruise is Oct 14th. Does that help?

Virginia

The President and his family had dinner at Stewman's Friday night and my understanding is that they enjoyed it.

Many places in town (Bar Harbor) will have lobster ... I hope you enjoy your cruise and have lots of good food. Jan

gottagoacruzn wrote & asked: ....the cruise is Oct 14th. Does that help?....

Yes, it does. I asked because there is a free seasonal bus service (Island Explorer) that provides service to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park until Columbus Day (observed) which is October 11 this year; so, the bus service is not an option for you :(.

SBtS

I posted this on another thread: In Portland,

Here's another alternative if you are "adventurous"! Just down from where you are docking is: http://www.threesonslobsterandfish.com/

This is a family run lobster pound, where you can pick out your own live lobster(s); they'll cook it for you; and you can eat it out on one of their picnic tables overlooking the working waterfront. Can't get much more authentic than that!

If it's not a nice warm day, then opt for one of the restaurants in the same vicinity. Have fun!

(Gilbert's Chowder House is a good alternative if the weather isn't cooperating!)

We ate at Gilberts, outside in the back. It's an interesting place too, best chowder I've eaten. Waitress with squirt cannons to fend off birds. We didn't know about Three Sons before arriving in Portland. We walked and found Three Sons, talked to people eating outside. They were laughing saying they'd just eaten lobster elsewhere but couldn't resist eating another because it was such a good deal. It was spartan eating conditions, picnic tables along the building, the lobster was served on a newspaper as I recall. I think they had some butter perhaps and an ear of corn, not much else. There were plenty of sea gulls waiting for whatever scraps hit the ground. I fully agree with the term "adventurous". :)

We loved Portland!!

gottagoacruzn wrote & asked: ....the cruise is Oct 14th. Does that help?....

Yes, it does. I asked because there is a free seasonal bus service (Island Explorer) that provides service to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park until Columbus Day (observed) which is October 11 this year; so, the bus service is not an option for you :(.

SBtS

Hi, aw shucks no bus service, don't that beat all.:( Thanks for your help.

Virginia

• 2 weeks later...

Had a whole lobster with sides at Union Tavern in Boston for $10... down from Fanueil Hall. Pub kind of place. Also lobster at DeMillio's in Portland which is on waterfront like Gilbert's and not off the beaten path but divine.. DH loves lobster roll, I went for the whole thing! We had lobster every day for lunch but one!

Stewmans is nice in BH, Demillos in Portland floating restaurant is nice but too swanky to have an authentic feel IMO. There are so many options, literally every little restaurant and hole-in-the-wall dive serves Bugs in Maine, so just pick a spot depending on what kind of experience you want. You can always wonder down by the waterfront in BH, see the lobster cars, people unloading, etc. The real thing, not canned experience. Even though BH is not a huge lobster port anymore, it still has enough boats you can see the fishery in action.

Stewmans is nice in BH, Demillos in Portland floating restaurant is nice but too swanky to have an authentic feel IMO. .

ROFL.. .I had never tackled a whole lobster.. in t-shirt and jeans I gave new meaning to the word "swanky" ..let's see sloppy and swanky = slanky..???... altho at lunch everyone was very casual...

ROFL.. .I had never tackled a whole lobster.. in t-shirt and jeans I gave new meaning to the word "swanky" ..let's see sloppy and swanky = slanky..???... altho at lunch everyone was very casual...

I am used to cooking them in seaweed over a fire on the beach, then cracking them on rocks and eating them with my bare hands as nature intended. But that is about as least swanky as you can get!:)

I am used to cooking them in seaweed over a fire on the beach, then cracking them on rocks and eating them with my bare hands as nature intended. But that is about as least swanky as you can get!:)

Where in Maine do you live and what can I bring to add to the dinner ? Cobbler, Beer? I envy you.. love love New England, will never been a southern girl

Where in Maine do you live and what can I bring to add to the dinner ? Cobbler, Beer? I envy you.. love love New England, will never been a southern girl

Down east, couple islands over from MDI (bar harbor). Summer is great, fall is better, winter is sloooooow. But right now lobster off the dock is $3.75/lb so can't beat that :)

Guess we must be a little bit "swankier" as we actually use paper towels to clean our hands, arms, elbows, faces etc.!!! I think your way is the best way to eat lobster! :) Jan

Down east, couple islands over from MDI (bar harbor). Summer is great, fall is better, winter is sloooooow. But right now lobster off the dock is $3.75/lb so can't beat that :)

So we don't get there until the last week of October. Will the three sons still be doing the cooking that time of year?? We are stopping in Portland and Bar Harbor and will most likely try it in both places; however we love little neck clams which could side track us.

So we don't get there until the last week of October. Will the three sons still be doing the cooking that time of year?? We are stopping in Portland and Bar Harbor and will most likely try it in both places; however we love little neck clams which could side track us.

Click on my link to Three Sons in an early posting on this thread. You'll find that they have the clams as well as the lobsters. Late October can be warm, but it can also be cold....you just won't know until you get here! :)

If you luck out and the weather is nice you can stop in and place your order to be cooked and either wait or do a little shopping and come back and enjoy the food on one of their picnic tables outside on the pier. If the weather isn't cooperating then pick another restaurant along Commercial street that has inside seating -- maybe Gilberts...?

Have fun!

Off the beaten path:

Take RT 3 heading North, the street name could be Main St in town or Eden St. Anyway it up the hill from where you are dropped off from the tender then turn right at Eden ST, RT3. Follow that north about 5 miles until you cross a bridge taking you off the island. Just after you cross the bridge on your left is Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound. You pick your lobster and sides and in a few minutes it brought to you to eat in a tin pan. Very Rough but so much flavor.

If you are in a private car heading back to town again just past the bridge is a state park where you could also take your feast for a picnic and a great view

http://www.trentonbridgelobster.com/index.html :D

framer

framer -

I agree with your post, but the OP won't be in Bar Harbor until 10/14 which is after the Island Explorer stops running (10/11). Transportation there becomes the problem.

Maybe Stewmans doesn't have the atmosphere as Trenton Bridge LP but eating at Stwemans is easily doable.

SBtS

I never said it was easy. He asked for "Off the beaten path for lobster", getting there is his problem. It's on the main drag there maybe regular local bus pay service? Call Enterprise and rent a car they picked me up at the ship. That's how I found it on the drive back from the airport.

framer

Archived