Luxury Cruise Lines and Formal Attire

Shipkicker

Hesitate to bring this up as I know how volatile this subject can be and how passionate some passengers are about this subject… Having written that, here goes!

We would like to go on a luxury cruise. Seems the three that keep appearing in this segment of the market are Seabourn, Silverseas and Regent. We have been on 25+ cruises (none on the “luxury” lines). We would prefer to not dress formally (gasp). (That was my feeble attempt at levity.) We have no problem dining in our suite on formal nights. Is there anyone else out there that does not dress in formal attire anymore and sails on the “luxury” lines?

just got off Regent,,,no formal nites.....going on Seabourn,,,have one optional formal,,,,meaning suit or sport coat,,,,I wear black dress slacks and dressy sweater...or jacket..hubby only sport coat.....but can eat in room if even thats too much,,,which we would if they were strict,,,but never seen anyone turned away,,,,even in really casual clothes,,,not shorts at dinner though...for really casual,,,try Seadream....like a private yacht....try "luxury" once and you ll never go back...esp with all inclusive ,,,like tips,drinks,etc....hope that helps....:)

just got off Regent,,,no formal nites.....going on Seabourn,,,have one optional formal,,,,meaning suit or sport coat,,,,I wear black dress slacks and dressy sweater...or jacket..hubby only sport coat.....but can eat in room if even thats too much,,,which we would if they were strict,,,but never seen anyone turned away,,,,even in really casual clothes,,,not shorts at dinner though...for really casual,,,try Seadream....like a private yacht....try "luxury" once and you ll never go back...esp with all inclusive ,,,like tips,drinks,etc....hope that helps....:)

Thanks! Was not aware that Regent did not have any formal nights. Will take a closer look at them. Thanks again.

• 4 months later...

We were on the Silver Spirit for her maiden transatlantic in January 2010 -- our first time on Silversea. They do have formal nights (tux), informal nights (coat & tie), and casual nights. In general we found other pax to be a very formal lot (e.g., coat & tie on casual nights!). If you don't want formal nights, stay away from Silversea.

It is true that Regent does not have formal nights any more.

BTW, Crystal also has formal nights.

on optional formal nites,,only a handful were dressed formally,,most men in suit and tie,,women dressy pants or dress....my hubby only brought sport coat and no tie,,,did NOT feel uncomfortable,,,so no worries for us re dress at all....by the way it was one of the best cruises,,,so far,,,and have been on SeaDream,,,Regent,,,Oceania,,etc...just top of the line.....just the right size,,400...no waits...great food,service,excursions,and cabins and Norway was spectacular...:)

Good to hear about Seabourn. We are typically sail on Regent but have tried Silversea. While Silversea is an excellent cruise line (amazing service), the dress code was annoying -- most nights were "formal" and "informal". Having to pack a black suit (or tuxedo) for my DH as well as a sports jacket, etc. contributes to heavy luggage. At the moment, it is the only reason we may not book Silversea in the future.

• 2 months later...
Good to hear about Seabourn. We are typically sail on Regent but have tried Silversea. While Silversea is an excellent cruise line (amazing service), the dress code was annoying -- most nights were "formal" and "informal". Having to pack a black suit (or tuxedo) for my DH as well as a sports jacket, etc. contributes to heavy luggage. At the moment, it is the only reason we may not book Silversea in the future.

Just had 6 weeks on Silver Cloud. Thankfully they still maintain and enforce a smart dress code. However there were only 3 formal nights on 14 day cruise and 2 on a 10 day cruise.

imo a smart dress code does not mean more formal nights. Smart dress is smart dress no matter what level of formality. I have seen some pretty "unsmart" tuxedoes in my time.

You've got that right. On one Crystal cruise, a man wore a tux jacket with a fishnet see-through tshirt underneath. Another time, a man wore a powder blue tux, straight from the '60's, with the ruffled shirt to match. Very unsmart, imho.

• 1 month later...
Hesitate to bring this up as I know how volatile this subject can be and how passionate some passengers are about this subject… Having written that, here goes!

We would like to go on a luxury cruise. Seems the three that keep appearing in this segment of the market are Seabourn, Silverseas and Regent. We have been on 25+ cruises (none on the “luxury” lines). We would prefer to not dress formally (gasp). (That was my feeble attempt at levity.) We have no problem dining in our suite on formal nights. Is there anyone else out there that does not dress in formal attire anymore and sails on the “luxury” lines?

I agree. Especially in hot climates. My humor is that the men should wear the strapless gowns for they are always HOT; and the women should wear the tuxes to keep them warmer. (Sorry - honestly) But try to dance a few quick Fox Trots and Swings in a bar set at 75 degrees for drinking comfort so most can watch the others dance dressed to the hilt.

So...

What ships have great dancing and just a few (black) tie and jacket nights. We are looking for a better cruising experience on a 600 to 200 passenger ship with great small ports?

Seadream,,,Regent,,,Seabourn,,,perhaps Silverseas,,,but haven t been on that one yet...just read it could be optional...

I agree,,esp.in warm climates ,,,the dark suit or tux,,,for DH is a major turnoff...I just wear formal dark pants and tops regardless.

Below there s a link to a poll,,,,I checked and most seem to like,,"optional";)

Archived