Switching from Oceania?

ozziefromoc

The biggest difference i see is that Oceania has 600-1300 passengers and PG has 325.

The only line up you will ever see on the PG is going in to dinner and that moves really fast.

I prefer the food on the PG to that on Oceania but I know that is subjective.

I much prefer the service on the PG - IMO Miki is the BEST maitre on the high seas and I say this after 49 cruises on various lines - mainstream, luxury and premium! Once he finds out that you like something - you can be assured of seeing it ready for you the next day.

He was on the Regent world cruises for a few years and I know he brought out the Voyager or mariner from the shipyard as well.

The cabins on the PG except for the higher levels are small so if you are used to the large cabins on Oceania or Regent you will have to get a high level suite.

Also the pG is all inclusive. All drinks both alcoholic and non alcoholic are included except for reserve lists.

Oceania will not allow you to special order anything - if you ask for a bowl of raspberries for breakfast - sorry cannot give it to you. Not the PG - they go out of their way to make your experience special.

PG has motus both the all day barbecue in Motu Mahana and a motu in BB for use of the passengers.

The PG price includes a day room on the last day as well as a short tour of Tahiti and this after lunch onboard. If your flight is an overnight one you will also get a day room on arrival.

If its an anniversary you are celebrating no other line does an anniversary celebration like the PG where you are serenaded as the sun sets in BB. Or you could have your vows renewed on the PG like we did last year with Heis and leis, Tahaitian serenades and vows recited by the captain.

Finally the PG brings Polynesia on board via the Gauguines and local entertainment vis a vis other lines where you have to go out to seek this.

One other comment from some research I did for a friend - PG excursions are substantially less than Oceania - some times half that of Oceania. Also only the PG has Mark Eddowes a local anthropologist/archeologist and on some trips jean Michel Cousteau.

I've cruised with both as well.

While we enjoy sailing with Oceania, the Paul Gauguin is the clear choice for us when visiting French Polynesia: smaller ship, private motu day, private beach in Bora Bora, water sports platform, great cruise staff (including Les Gauguines) and the local groups that perform on the ship at several of the stops are the main reasons.

A cruise line visiting only a few times a year (such as Oceania) can not, in my opinion, match the product that the Paul Gauguin has polished over many years spent exclusively cruising the region.

We leave in a couple of days for our 5th Oceania cruise and have a 6th booked. We did not even consider Oceania for French Polynesia. The PG has been doing it year round for years - they are the experts and having a smaller ship is a big plus in these small islands.

We are considering switching from Oceania to PG for our anniversary cruise next year as PG has more experience in the FP area. Has anyone done both lines? Any advice?
We love the Oceania product and were conflicted on whether to sail Marina or Paul Gauguin when we went to French Polynesia last year. We knew what to expect with Oceania, but after hanging out on the PG forum and catching the PG flu (thanks Emdee!) we decided on Paul Gauguin. We did b2b cruises, combining the 7-night Society Islands with the 14-night Marquesas and Tuamotus. It was spectacular in every way.

As you'd expect on a luxury ship, Paul Gauguin has top notch accommodation, excellent food and outstanding service. But what really sets them apart is an intense focus on all things Polynesian. The intimately-sized ship has Polynesian decor and artwork throughout. Menus are crafted to showcase local ingredients. Their multi-talented Tahitian hostesses, Les Gauguines, serve as cruise staff and are the living soul of Paul Gauguin. On-board lecturers and naturalists are experts on the archaeology, culture and geology of the Islands. Paul Gauguin also has an on-board marina that is staffed by dive masters who are intimately familiar with the local waters.

Oceania will deliver a quality product but on a much larger ship without the special Polynesian touches. It will be just another destination for them.

In my view, Paul Gauguin is not just another cruise ship plying the waters of French Polynesia ... it is the only choice. I say book PG and enjoy a fab anniversary in paradise!

We love the Oceania product and were conflicted on whether to sail Marina or Paul Gauguin when we went to French Polynesia last year. We knew what to expect with Oceania, but after hanging out on the PG forum and catching the PG flu (thanks Emdee!) we decided on Paul Gauguin. We did b2b cruises, combining the 7-night Society Islands with the 14-night Marquesas and Tuamotus. It was spectacular in every way.

As you'd expect on a luxury ship, Paul Gauguin has top notch accommodation, excellent food and outstanding service. But what really sets them apart is an intense focus on all things Polynesian. The intimately-sized ship has Polynesian decor and artwork throughout. Menus are crafted to showcase local ingredients. Their multi-talented Tahitian hostesses, Les Gauguines, serve as cruise staff and are the living soul of Paul Gauguin. On-board lecturers and naturalists are experts on the archaeology, culture and geology of the Islands. Paul Gauguin also has an on-board marina that is staffed by dive masters who are intimately familiar with the local waters.

Oceania will deliver a quality product but on a much larger ship without the special Polynesian touches. It will be just another destination for them.

In my view, Paul Gauguin is not just another cruise ship plying the waters of French Polynesia ... it is the only choice. I say book PG and enjoy a fab anniversary in paradise!

Hi, We are taking the 14 night cruise, too. Any advice on excursions, especially in the more remote places, would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi, We are taking the 14 night cruise, too. Any advice on excursions, especially in the more remote places, would be appreciated. Thanks
Hi Benita. Here is what I wrote in my CC review about our various excursions on our b2b itinerary, which included 14-nite Marquesas and Tuamotus. We tried to strike a balance between water activities, cultural experiences and relaxing beach time. We also took more PG excursions than private since we had a very generous OBC to spend!

If interested, you can read my full review at: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=83360

Raiatea: Coral Gardens Drift Snorkel with PG. Pleasant snorkeling between motus on the west coast of Tahaa. Moderate currents. Coral and fish were well below expectation. Average excursion. If I went again, I'd definitely take a private tour to the Coral Gardens with Bruno.

Tahaa: Exploration of Tahaa with PG. Off-road adventure around entire Island. Visits to family-owned black pearl farm and vanilla plantation. Fun and informative. Superb excursion. Well recommended.

Tahaa: Motu Mahana. Outstanding day on PG private motu. Beautiful setting. Great BBQ, floating bar, wonderful activities hosted by Les Gauguines.

Bora Bora: 4x4 Safari with Lagoon Discovery and Motu Picnic with Maohi Nui. Mixed experience. Terrific off-road adventure with Patrick. So-so lagoon excursion with Moreto. Average food on motu. Decent but not outstanding snorkeling. Water activities rushed. An OK excursion but not a trip highlight. Would not take again.

Bora Bora: Reef Discovery with Christophe. Best snorkeling of entire trip! Focused on less visited parts of lagoon. Spectacular coral and tropical fish. Enthusiastic and considerate guide who is a former dive instructor. Swanky boat with white leather seats! Outstanding excursion. Highly recommended.

Moorea: Aito Off-Road Safari with PG. Fantastic way to hit the key spots of Belvedere, Agricultural School, Juice Factory. Great orientation to the Island. Fun excursion.

Moorea: Day pass at Hilton Moorea. World class snorkeling. Wonderful day of relaxation in gorgeous setting.

Moorea: Dolphin Watching Expedition with PG. Educational tour with Dr. Michael Poole that has a 95% hit rate in spotting spinner dolphins. Excellent commentary, albeit somewhat condescending attitude. OK excursion. Recommend with reservation.

Huahine: Sacred Sites and Legendary Places with PG. Interesting tour through the royal village of Maeva and Matairea Hill led by archaeologist Paul Attolah. Fed the famous blue-eyed eels. Good excursion but guide can be a tad long-winded.

Fakarava: Missed out on Pinnacle Snorkeling with PG. On-board dive team reported it was the best snorkeling of the entire trip. Best to book in advance as boat capacity is only 12 pax. Found a lovely spot to snorkel on our own off the beach along the main road. PG has since updated their excursions at Fakarava with more choices available.

Fatu Hiva: Omoa Petroglyphs Walk with PG. Easy walk but trails were muddy and rocks were slippery with the rain. Excellent guiding by archaeologist/anthropologist Mark Eddowes. Mosquito alert! Fantastic selection of rosewood carvings at artisan centre. Absolute best place in Marquesas for purchases.

Hiva Oa: Atuona to Taaoa with PG. Combo of 4x4 drive and walk to Upeke archaeological site. Guiding by Mark Eddowes. Visits to gravesites of Paul Gauguin and Jacques Brel. Fabulous bone carvings and other crafts at artisan centre.

Ua Huka: With regret, missed Island due to high winds and strong currents.

Nuku Hiva: Heavy rains forced cancellation of Visit to Taipivai Valley with PG. Took Le Truck on circle ride to Notre Dame Cathedral, Piki Vehine Pae Pae archaeological site and Rose Coulter Museum. Average selection of artisan products at higher prices. Don't wait till Nuku Hiva to make any purchases!

Hope this helps. If you have any specific questions, ask away!

Hi Emdee

We've already left, via Iceland (for a cold contrast), to join 12 September voyage. However, we should be grateful if you would kindly share your 'tips' with us.

mailATguyjacksonDOTcom

With Thanks

Guy

We booked for June 2013. I'd appreciate your tips:) njbeaglemom61 at yahoo.com Thanks bunches!

I believe Emdee's on vacay right now, so it might be awhile before she responds. Now watch her make a liar out of me....:)

I believe Emdee's on vacay right now, so it might be awhile before she responds. Now watch her make a liar out of me....:)

She is indeed on the high seas!

To those requesting Emdee's TIPS: If there are any questions I can answer while she is on holiday, let me know. Emdee and I only met a couple of years ago on the PG, but as we both have been at least a half-dozen times, we quickly became ''new-old friends". We both enjoy sharing our love of the PG with those who don't (YET) have the PG flu.

The MotuIslander's are planning another trip in June of 2013, and hopefully with Emdee and others in 2014 (if our schedule allows).

We were on Paul Gauguin 2/12, and just returned from Oceania Marina.

While the Marina is a beautiful boat, and we loved the food (4 specialty restaurants whose variety we liked better than PG), rooms (PH3 vs smaller 811 suite on PG), and service, for French Polynesia, Paul Gauguin is the CLEAR choice. It is a much smaller boat, but it is the correct choice for the venue.

OK Motu, just to prove you wrong I am on the board today. No high seas this time. Am walking the last part of Camino. Plenty of good food and wine though! One more day´s walk to go!

I have to get an IPAD cannot read cc or the figure skating threads on a BB.

Archived