transportation from Boston Airport to Cruiseport

Kharvavad

We are sailing Holland America cruise ship on June 7, 2014. We will be arriving at Logan Airport. We would appreciate any help about getting transportation. What is Silver Line? Is it free bus from Airport to Cruiseport?

Thank you in advance.

The silver line is a part of the "t" the public transport in Boston. Fare per person will be $2.50, and will need to purchase a Charlie ticket before boarding. There are kiosks to purchase at the station and they accept credit cards. The silver line looks like a bus and runs under ground. You will need to make a transfer At silver line way to get on the line towards the cruise terminal (black falcon ave) To be honest, as long as you are not arriving at rush hour. I would get a cab from the airport. With your luggage, and in what I am assuming to be a unfamiliar city, it would much easier and worth the extra $10 -$15. Rush hour is typically from 7-9 and 3-7. The ride should take all of 15 minutes in a cab outside of rush hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Silver Line is currently free from the airport and stops at the lower level of each terminal. If you transfer at Silver Line Way, chances are you will have to pay the $2.50 fare. However, if you go one more stop to World Trade Center, you can transfer for no charge. This involves rolling your luggage to the elevator to go up to the mezzanine and then back down the elevator to go the other direction on the SL 2 bus. In case of poor weather, World Trade is a covered station.

The Silver Line was designed to service Logan Airport and accommodate folks with luggage. Get on the rear door entrance - the step up onto the bus is very low and very easy with luggage - even better than a rental car bus. The SL1 Logan Airport buses have luggage racks. The SL2 buses typically do not have racks, but there are open areas if you get on the rear door.

The OP is arriving on a Saturday. Cab fare to Black Falcon Terminal should be $20-25 and it would be a quick trip through the Ted Williams Tunnel.

The silver line is a part of the "t" the public transport in Boston. Fare per person will be $2.50, and will need to purchase a Charlie ticket before boarding. There are kiosks to purchase at the station and they accept credit cards. The silver line looks like a bus and runs under ground. You will need to make a transfer At silver line way to get on the line towards the cruise terminal (black falcon ave) To be honest, as long as you are not arriving at rush hour. I would get a cab from the airport. With your luggage, and in what I am assuming to be a unfamiliar city, it would much easier and worth the extra $10 -$15. Rush hour is typically from 7-9 and 3-7. The ride should take all of 15 minutes in a cab outside of rush hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you very much. I think you are right. We will take a cab. It will be much easier.

• 2 months later...

Post back for more detailed dirctions if you change your mind. I was just on the Silver Line to Logan with luggage this morning and it was the easiest part of my journey which involved the commuter train, the Orange Line, and the Red Line before the Silver Line. As I said, it's a free trip from Logan to Black Falcon with one transfer using escalators and/or elevators.

• 2 weeks later...

138 EAST, you seem to be the "go to girl" ;) regarding all things Boston. I have seen you on a lot of threads, so I thought I would come straight to you, hopefully you will see this post!!

We are flying into Boston on Sept 26 for a cruise on the 27th. We will be arriving at 430pm on a Friday night, :eek: probably worst time possible with traffic!! Anyways, could you please advise us on a place to stay for the night, hopefully easy to get to on a Friday night and a taxi ride to the port in the morning. (I have read that it isn't too far from the airport to the pier??, did I read correctly??) It is not easy for me to do public transportation, especially with luggage for a 14 day cruise.

THANK YOU :D

Hope you don't mind a few comments from a lifelong local who isn't named 128. :-)

Boston is very compact, so staying downtown/in BackBay would perhaps give you more access to the city that night than one of the several chain hotels on the road near the airport. (We enjoy walking around, even briefly, in a new city. From a downtown/Back Bay hotel, Quincy Market or Copley or Chinatown are possibilities for dinner, for example,) Rush hour traffic in Boston is bad on the highways, and has only some effect on some surface streets. To get to the downtown area from the airport, though, a taxi would take the tunnel (in the direction opposite to traffic trying to get out of town for suburban homes), and then local streets, so IMO, it might not be as arduous a journey as you imagine. The cruise pier can be accessed by local streets the next morning.

As a local, I have little call to stay in Boston hotels, so for specific suggestions, maybe another contributor can be of more help.

Happy travels.

:D Thank you, I will take any information that I can get!!

Hope you don't mind a few comments from a lifelong local who isn't named 128. :-)

Boston is very compact, so staying downtown/in BackBay would perhaps give you more access to the city that night than one of the several chain hotels on the road near the airport. (We enjoy walking around, even briefly, in a new city. From a downtown/Back Bay hotel, Quincy Market or Copley or Chinatown are possibilities for dinner, for example,) Rush hour traffic in Boston is bad on the highways, and has only some effect on some surface streets. To get to the downtown area from the airport, though, a taxi would take the tunnel (in the direction opposite to traffic trying to get out of town for suburban homes), and then local streets, so IMO, it might not be as arduous a journey as you imagine. The cruise pier can be accessed by local streets the next morning.

As a local, I have little call to stay in Boston hotels, so for specific suggestions, maybe another contributor can be of more help.

Happy travels.

138 EAST, you seem to be the "go to girl" ;) regarding all things Boston. I have seen you on a lot of threads, so I thought I would come straight to you, hopefully you will see this post!!

We are flying into Boston on Sept 26 for a cruise on the 27th. We will be arriving at 430pm on a Friday night, :eek: probably worst time possible with traffic!! Anyways, could you please advise us on a place to stay for the night, hopefully easy to get to on a Friday night and a taxi ride to the port in the morning. (I have read that it isn't too far from the airport to the pier??, did I read correctly??) It is not easy for me to do public transportation, especially with luggage for a 14 day cruise.

THANK YOU :D

Again more suggestions from a non Bostonian, but I would suggest either the Hyatt Harborside, the Hilton at Logan airport or the Embassy Suites. All 3 are at the airport and have free shuttles. The views from the Hyatt are lovely. I am assuming since you are flying in late Friday afternoon before a Saturday cruise you aren't planning on doing a lot of sightseeing. If you stay at one of those hotels you could skip the cab trip in Friday traffic altogether. Then you could take a quick cab ride to the port Saturday am without the traffic.

If you stay at the Hilton and your flight arrives at either terminal A or E you can walk right into the hotel, no shuttle needed. Shuttle will pick you up from other terminals. Hyatt and Hilton have nice restaurants, probably the Embassy Suites also but I haven't stayed there so can't speak to that one. Hyatt is nice and has great views across the harbor and a nice walking path along the water if you want a little fresh air after dinner.

I just checked lastminutetravel.com and they have the Hyatt listed for $171 for your date. That is a prepaid rate. The Hilton was $238 I think. If you call their 800 number they will usually give you a better rate than the online one.

Edited by mhb1757

Again more suggestions from a non Bostonian, but I would suggest either the Hyatt Harborside, the Hilton at Logan airport or the Embassy Suites. All 3 are at the airport and have free shuttles. The views from the Hyatt are lovely. I am assuming since you are flying in late Friday afternoon before a Saturday cruise you aren't planning on doing a lot of sightseeing. If you stay at one of those hotels you could skip the cab trip in Friday traffic altogether. Then you could take a quick cab ride to the port Saturday am without the traffic.

If you stay at the Hilton and your flight arrives at either terminal A or E you can walk right into the hotel, no shuttle needed. Shuttle will pick you up from other terminals. Hyatt and Hilton have nice restaurants, probably the Embassy Suites also but I haven't stayed there so can't speak to that one. Hyatt is nice and has great views across the harbor and a nice walking path along the water if you want a little fresh air after dinner.

I just checked lastminutetravel.com and they have the Hyatt listed for $171 for your date. That is a prepaid rate. The Hilton was $238 I think. If you call their 800 number they will usually give you a better rate than the online one.

:D Those sound great, avoiding an extra cab ride would be nice!! I like the idea of walking into the hotel from the terminal, I wonder if Jet Blue lands in either of those. Thanks for the information!!!

All the terminals are connected to each other by the Central Parking structure, so although A & E are the most convenient to the Hilton, you can get there on foot from any terminal through sky bridges and/or the garage.

Honestly if I was arriving via terminal C I would just call for the shuttle if I was staying at the Hilton....it is quite a hike through the garages etc with a lot of luggage. I stayed there twice in times past and the shuttle was quick and easy, picked you up close to baggage claim and dropped you off at the front door. It is an easy walk via the skybridge from terminals E and A but even that can get long if you have a lot of luggage.

But the good news is since you are arriving via Terminal C it would be just about as easy to stay at the Hyatt since they have a shuttle too.

• 3 weeks later...

Another Boston question. We are coming in on a Friday for a July 12th cruise. Booked airport Hampton - 3 of us so. Hampton charges $10 pp for the shuttle. How does the $30.00 shuttle compare to a taxi ride? May be easier to catch cab to ship rather than shuttle. Thanks for any help.

That's interesting that the Hampton Inn offers a cruise shuttle for $10/pp. No one has mentioned that before. For three people $30 is highly competitive with a cab fare.

Hampton Inn is several miles northeast of the airport in Revere. A metered taxi prices out close to $30 when you include tip and tunnel toll. So if there is traffic in the airport or tunnel, the fare could be higher.

• 3 months later...

:D Hello Bostonians, I have a question that you don't usually get....I will be coming to your city in 4 short weeks and staying at a hotel by the airport. Is there a mini mart, convenience store that we could stop at on our way to the pier?? I would like to pick up my Pepsi and some Helmans Mayonnaise :eek: (I am VERY PICKY about my mayonnaise!!!) Thanks, TERI

Embassy Suites at Logan Airport on Porter street. :D It is about $270 including taxes for the two of us. I want to make it as easy as possible after our flight and to the pier. Did I do good???

Edited by pepsigirl64

:D Hello Bostonians, I have a question that you don't usually get....I will be coming to your city in 4 short weeks and staying at a hotel by the airport. Is there a mini mart, convenience store that we could stop at on our way to the pier?? I would like to pick up my Pepsi and some Helmans Mayonnaise :eek: (I am VERY PICKY about my mayonnaise!!!) Thanks, TERI

There is a gas station/convenience store right past Terminal E (International) as you just before exiting the airport. You can walk there from any terminal. They have a little of everything. Can't vouch for Helmans. If I knew exactly where you are staying....??? If all you want is Pepsi and Helmans, I'm sure you can find that almost anywhere...CVS, Tedeschi's, 7-11 and Walgreens are everywhere. And there is a Christie's near the Aquarium, not too far from the ship.

If you are staying near the airport, you really aren't far from anything. Someone will direct you.

Any idea if you can make a 9:45a flight? Coming back from Royal's BoS on Sunday 9/28 (arrives at 6am). Most cruises I'm in my car in less than an hour - and coming off bigger ships than this, but never cruised from Boston before and don't know how efficient they are and then to get to Logan... I could do a 12:05 flight, but ... TIA!!