Suntan Lotion Question?

emt9898

I have a question about sun tan lotion. We are going to St.Thomas, San Juan and Tortola. We leave July 12th out of NY. We both have a good base tan going right now and will be even better by the time we leave.

My question is what proof sun tan lotion should be take with us. Some people are saying that we should be taking like 50 proof.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know what the best would be.

I have a question about sun tan lotion. We are going to St.Thomas, San Juan and Tortola. We leave July 12th out of NY. We both have a good base tan going right now and will be even better by the time we leave.

My question is what proof sun tan lotion should be take with us. Some people are saying that we should be taking like 50 proof.

We are doing the same cruise 6/26. I have heard that 30 is truly the strongest. The facial moisturizer I use everyday is 30 SPF. I have a base tan & will be visiting the beach probably everyother day from now until we cruise. I will bring 30 for the kids & DH & they will use it all over. I will keep using my moisturizer on my face & probably 8-15 on my body.

SPF 30 at a minimum... The SPF above this point is a preference based on skin type (fair vs tanned), etc. Here's the real key though...

Apply the lotion 30 minutes before going outdoors and then reapply every 1 hour while in the sun!

I also do not recommend the "spray-on" types in the Carribean as I feel more of it blows into the wind than actually hits the body! Having "tested" this twice, I can tell you that you WILL burn if you spray and it blows away...

It all depends on YOUR skin! If I were to use 30 SPF I'd get whiter instead of tanner!! I used some SPF15 the next day after forgetting to bring some with me to the beach in St. Maarten. I got a burn that day at the beach, but the next day while at the pool onboard, the SPF15 did me just fine.

You know your skin better than anyone else....just use some common sense and you'll be fine.

I agree, it totally depends on how easily you burn. I usually tan for 4-6 weeks before leaving, and have a decent tan to start with, and I swear I don't even use any sunscreen. I've never burned and we lay poolside and hit the beach at almost every port. DH, OTOH, also tans 4-6 week prior, uses an SPF 15 and does fine when he remembers to reapply. ;)

We just returned from the same itinerary and I had a good base tan as well. I did burn on my nose and spots on shoulders and chest where I guess I was stingy about applying lotion...I brought 30-50. 50spf only because I work for a surgeon and see alot of skin cancer and I told my boss I'd bring it. I ended up being glad I did, after being in the carribbean many times, the sun seems stronger and I came back much darker, but also burned more, too.

Have a great trip!!

The spray on ones are good - but apply in the cabin BEFORE putting on bathing suit - same for lotion - that way you are more likely not to miss some important areas.

I use a 30 or 45 depending on skin exposure - e.g. 45 probably good for my back, maybe legs (depends on the season) but my arms, neck/face usually already have some sun exposure so the 30 is usually good enuf. As mentioned the trick is to reapply!

Don't forget an spf lip balm for your lips as well!

Take it from someone who tans at the drop of a hat, take a strong sun tan lotion, as well as an aloe after sun lotion. I also recommend you don't use the spray on type. Even if you tan easier, the Caribbean sun, espeically if you are doing alot of water activities, is fierce and you can burn even if you usually don't. Apply it often and don't stay out too long the first day.

I like to wear Bullfrog because it really is waterproof. If you put it on about 30 minutes before you are going to sweat or swim, it protects you even after you are wet. My DH burns very badly if he doesn't use it. We get SPF 50 just to be sure!

I use a minimum of 30 but mostly a higher SPF. I have fair skin. I will sill burn with 30 at the beginning of a vacation. I still get color with 45 SPF. I know people who use nothing less that 45 SPF and they get a beautiful tan, without getting red. I like using suncreen for babies - it's not irritating for my skin. I always bring a face stick because when I sweat for some reason the suncreen in the face stick doesn't burn my eyes the way regular suncreen does.

Whatever you use, just use common sense and reapply often. Don't forget the top of your ear and the tops and bottoms of your feet, also the nape of your neck.

Ok...here's a good one! My DH is whiter than white! What was that title? "A Whiter Shade of Pale"? :D His Irish/English heritage and light blue eyes do him in every year. This is a man who gets red shoveling snow in February!!! He is a computer programmer saving up his vacation time for this cruise! No pre-base tan on this guy! Can you spell SUNBURN!?!?!?!?! :eek: :eek:

I buy him 45 spf and apply, apply, apply, apply and pray alot!!! His worst spots always seem to be the back of his ears and the tops of his feet! I am not looking forward to this at all.

Me. 100% Italian. I can burn but if I apply I will tan. I also do not have very much of a base tan since I also work in a office all day. I have laid out a few times and spent Sunday at my MIL pool. I would say I have some "color" but not a base tan. I also have a huge disadvantage. I am allergic to Aloe! I need to bring a big supply of my sunblock so I don't run out because I just can't go any buy anything. DH has to use the same stuff I do because if I buy regular sunblock for him I can't do his back then touch my own skin. Did that one year by accident. You can not image the hives! Sunburn on top of hives. That was not a fun trip!!! :eek:

I really am worried about this trip and the sun!:(

I agree about the Spray-On. If you are still wet from it and put on a shirt you WILL rub part of it off. Then you will have area's that are sunburned and some that are not. Just happened to my older son last week at the beach.

I am very fair and burn easily. I always use SPF 45 or higher. I absolutely LOVE the new spray-on sunscreens. The trick is to apply it LIBERALLY to clean DRY skin (after a shower and toweled off really well) then let it sit and dry COMPLETELY before getting dressed. It takes a bit of time to dry but after it "sets up", it'll be waterproof ALL DAY. Spray is also great to use on your HAIR and scalp, but not so great on your face. For that I use the big tube UNDER any make-up (as if I'd even wear much makeup when going into the sun all day)

If it's a beach or pool day, I will then bring along the big tube of 45+ and reapply every hour or so and let it dry for a good 30 minutes before going back into the water.

To the poster who is allergic to aloe: I'm allergic to Cocoa Butter which is added to many sunscreens. READ YOUR LABELS FOLKS! Not all products are alike. Some work better than others.

The tropical sun is much stronger than most of us are used to. WEAR YOUR SUNSCREEN! You'll be a much happier cruiser for doing so!

I burn very easily so I bring the strongest I can find. I can literally get color if I'm outside for an hour, even here! So in the Carribbean, I use strong sunscreen! I still burned last time and I'm just going to have to reapply more often because I am not going to be a lobster next cruise!

There is always the 't-shirt' option - I always bring along an old t-shirt and if I do feel I am burning or have had to much sun I end up in the water with my t-shirt on - no, not as pretty and not fun coming out and taking it off - but at least it offers some more protection!

You can burn through a wet t-shirt. I would not have thought it to be so, but I found out last summer when my DH's uncle left his shirt on during a kayak excursion expecting it to shield him and he fell out of the kayak. Once the shirt was wet, it was more transparent, and he burnt through the shirt. He was uncomfortable that night for sure! FYI, he had placed sunscreen on prior to the excursion/ prior to putting the shirt on. If you want true protection, buy one of those opaque water shirts that the surfers sometimes wear.

SPF 30 at a minimum... The SPF above this point is a preference based on skin type (fair vs tanned), etc. Here's the real key though...

Apply the lotion 30 minutes before going outdoors and then reapply every 1 hour while in the sun!

I also do not recommend the "spray-on" types in the Carribean as I feel more of it blows into the wind than actually hits the body! Having "tested" this twice, I can tell you that you WILL burn if you spray and it blows away...

Definitely apply 30 minutes before going outside. It gives the lotion a chance to get into your skin. I put my suntan lotion on before putting on my bathing suit or clothes. This way if my suit or clothes shift I am covered. Unfortunately I learned this lesson the hard way.

If you want true protection, buy one of those opaque water shirts that the surfers sometimes wear.
Rash Guards work well if you're in the water. Laying in the sun wearing one will get you a little too toasty warm. :)

In my opinion a product called "Blue Lizard" is the best sunscreen there is. The only place I've found it is CVS. Our peditrician recomended it and now we all use it. Costs a liitle more than others but it doesn't come off in the water. It is an Australian product and there rules for Water Proof/ Water Resistance are more strengent than ours in the US. It also protects against UVA & UVB Rays.

Off a review website:

Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen was developed to combat one of the most intense UV environments in the world. Tested according to Australian Standards, Blue Lizard maintains its extreme water resistance after 240 minutes in whirlpool water. Meanwhile, the FDA requires testing for 80 minutes in still water. All Blue Lizard formulas offer more than 30 times your skin's natural protection against UVB rays. We list our SPF at 30+ to preserve the integrity of our Australian roots. If you are applying correctly, SPF 30 is really all you need, and 30 is all that Australian Standards will allow sunscreens to claim!

I have always used SPF 30 but have to say I was watching The Today Show and there was a segment that talked about this very subject and the person who was reporting said that an SPF 30 is only slightly more protection than the SPF 15...so I guess as long as you use at least on SPF 15, you're ok!!:)

I have that Italian olive skinned thing going on, so I rarely burn and always get a really nice tan.

Back when I was young and didn't know any better I would just use baby oil and had areally nice deep tan well into October.

When I do use sunscreen I usually opt for a SPF 15.

Hawaiian Tropic specifically , I love the smell :)

This is from Wikihelp.

Choose a sunscreen (15 spf should be plenty enough as it blocks 93% of the suns UV rays)If you are allergic to any of the ingredients then pick out a different sunscreen. SPF, or Sun Protection Factor, is a measurement of how well a sunscreen will protect skin from UVB rays, the kind of radiation that causes sunburn. If your skin would normally burn after 10 minutes in the sun, for example, wearing an SPF 15 sunscreen would theoretically allow you to stay in the sun for 150 minutes (10 x 15) without burning. This is a rough estimate, however, and your own skin, the type of activity you do in the sun (i.e. one involving water or sweat), and the intensity of sunlight may give you more or less safety. Note that SPF ratings can be confusing or misleading at times. For example, the rating tells you about UVB protection, but nothing about protection from also harmful UVA rays. The SPF scale is also not linear: SPF 50 does not prevent burns 2/3 times longer than a SPF 30, and in fact blocks only about 1.3% more UVB radiation than SPF 30. In addition, The Food and Drug Administration has expressed concerns that current testing methods may not be able to accurately and reproducibly determine SPF values for high SPF products (FDA 1999).

Archived