Explorer Level 6 Balconies - poor view?

NautiDawg

I read a review that stated that the level 6 (lowest) balconies on the EOS have more metal and a reduced view...can anyone confirm or deny? I am booked on the 2/17/12 sailing in a D3 category, Superior, slightly larger than the Deluxe balcony room, and I enjoy spending a lot of time on the balcony. Last year I cruised on the Navigator and the level 8 balcony was spectacular--all glass and great view. Should I try to upgrade to another level?

Thanks for your help!

The deck 6 balconies don't have a "poor" view, just a slightly smaller view than the upper decks. On Voyager, Adventure and Explorer, the balconies are built into the structure of the ship so the fronts are metal about 2 feet high topped with about 1 foot of glass. On deck 6, the metal front extends up a little higher and is topped with a metal railing instead of glass. It's really not a big deal, and the difference is minimal. None of the balconies are all glass like they are on Navigator and Mariner, which were built onto the outside of the ship's structure. We kind of like the cozy, cove-like feeling of these balconies. Deck 6 is an otherwise great location, just one flight up from the promenade.

We've been in both (Deck 6 on Adventure/Deck 7 on Explorer). We really preferred Deck 7 (or higher) because of the balcony. When we were on Deck 6, if I sat down I couldn't see straight ahead of me or down to the water. I could look up at the beautiful sky, but that was it. I had to stand to see the water. On Deck 7, I could sit and see the water.

We've sailed on the Explorer balcony cabins on decks 9, and 7, and also three separate times on deck 6. We chose it because of the price and location (hump) for those particular sailings. True, there is less of a "view" , especially when seated on the balcony, because there is more metal than glass. The metal part reaches about waist height for me, and I am 5'3". It is topped with a glass panel about 15" high. (please, anyone, correct my estimated dimensions).

That being said--the ocean is really, um, big. You can see it clearly through your balcony door, while sitting, and of course, while standing on the balcony. I would not call it an "obstructed" view at all, just an "adjusted" view, perhaps. We spent tons of time on our deck 6 balcony, and never once thought about the construction of it.

If you like the location of your deck 6 balcony, I would stick with it. If there is a balcony higher up, and you like the location and price, then go with that. But truly, deck 6 was fine for us.

Happy cruising!

Teddie

We love deck 6 & really have no problem with the balcony. When we've been in cabins with the glass balcony, the view really isn't much better due to scratches & sea spray. To get a good view, you have to stand at the rail anyway.

I spend a lot of time on the balcony but I can't honestly say it's to look at the ocean. I like to relax & read in the fresh air & it's a great place to be when the ship is arriving &/or departing a port.

If you like to sit & watch the ocean, then deck 6 isn't for you. If you enjoy relaxing on your balcony with a cup of coffee, a drink, a friend, or a good book, you'll be just fine...........................

I read a review that stated that the level 6 (lowest) balconies on the EOS have more metal and a reduced view...can anyone confirm or deny? I am booked on the 2/17/12 sailing in a D3 category, Superior, slightly larger than the Deluxe balcony room, and I enjoy spending a lot of time on the balcony. Last year I cruised on the Navigator and the level 8 balcony was spectacular--all glass and great view. Should I try to upgrade to another level?

Thanks for your help!

I would call right way to see about availability, it's a school holiday week and almost full to capacity.

And join our roll call!:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1297596

I would call right way to see about availability, it's a school holiday week and almost full to capacity.

And join our roll call!:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1297596

I'm considering that sailing. Even though it's only 3 weeks away, and during a school break, there seems to be decent availability. By my count, there are still 60 balcony cabins available. That seems like a lot to me.

Archived