Heavyweight title fight: HAL vs. X

dakrewser

WE just got back from a 12-night cruise to Alaska aboard Celebrity's Infinity. It was our first cruise on X, and I wanted to share the comparisons we made with HAL. Our most recent HAL cruise was on the Oosterdam (Mexican Riviera) last January, so this will be strictly an O'dam vs. Infinity comparison. It should, though, be applicable to other Vista/Millenium class ships.

Let me start by saying that we did have a good cruise on Infinity, and we would book on Celebrity again if the itinerary was desirable and the price was right. But if everything was equal, we'd choose HAL without a second thought.

I'll attempt to do separate posts for each area of comparison, and I might even stick to that resolution!

We were in a sky suite on Infinity, an S suite on Oosterdam. The Sky Suite is more comparible to a HAL SS in size and amenities, though. The S is much bigger with a bigger verandah and a very comfortable sofa. The sky suite does have two very comfortable high backed arm chairs (lacking on HAL) along with a table which can just about handle breakfast for two but a just adequate love seat (still, more comfortable than the love seat in HAL's verandah or outside cabins). Hal's cabin chairs are less comfortable, and the coffee table won't do for dining. (but, no coffee table on X)

There were two major drawbacks to the Sky Suite, though. First, the bed. While not uncomfortable, the Infinity's bed was about the quality of a better Motel 6. HAL's bed is, of course, probably the best in the cruise industry right now.

The second drawback was the dressing area, or lack thereof. HAL cabins have a curtain that can be drawn to separate the sleeping area from the closet/bathroom area creating a dressing space. Nothing at all similar on X. Try to turn on a line to get some clothes and your room-mate gets a very unceremonious awakening.

The verandah on Infinity had two comfortable chairs and a tiny side table (the lower priced concierge class cabins had large - even if plastic - tables which you could dine on). HAL's verandah had two very comfortable chairs, two ottomans and a large table with chairs which four could eat at comfortably.

Except for the two highbacked chairs and table in the cabin, HAL is the big winner in this category.

-dave

Please keep this going! I'm an X fan but seriously considering a HAL cruise this spring - on Oosterdam, as a matter of fact - and would be VERY interested to hear your comparisons on other topics, including: food; service; general ambiance; PA announcements (or absence thereof); exercise equipment in gym; and entertainment (not so much the shows as the music provided in lounges etc.). Thanks so much for the info!

The Sky Suite bathroom is much smaller than an S suite's. The tub/shower is both deeper and narrower (and no jacuzzi). Toilet paper is,mounted so it rolls 'over he top,' so Ekerr11's DH would be pleased.

The Infinity's hair dryer is wall mounted, unlike HAL's which takes up drawer space. Neither of us use the hair dryer extensively, so can't compare the power of the blower or the heat of the dryer. Both worked sufficiently for us.

The Sky Suite has a shampoo dispenser in the shower, and a lotion dispenser next to the sink. Small hotel-sized bottles of both are also provided along with the typical amenities.

A + for X for the wall-mounted dryer, a + for HAL for the larger tub. So the bathroom battle (pun intended) is a wash...

-dave

Service by the cabin attendents was excellent on both lines. One quibble we have is about laundry bags. Why, when the steward/butler takes away a bag of laundry don't they leave a new bag? On both HAL & X we had to chase down attendants to replace laundry bags!

HAL's offer of unlimted laundry in suites beats Celebrity's offer of no-cgarhe priority service (you pay regular price but get it ack faster). X also offers no laundry packages such as HAL's unlimited or "by the bag" pricing. Also, X returns items either on a hanger or in a bag. HAL's tissue wrapped delivery in a basket wins them points.

A plus for HAL on laundry. A draw on cabin service.

-dave

Having taken 8 cruises in veranda cabins on 4 cruise lines I find very little differences between companies. I don't want to limit myself to only one option when so many choices are available. My first concern is to find an interesting itinerary, second the size of the cabin, price (most are about the same per day) and quality of food. Except for Princess' bad coffee and poor beef prep the main line cruise ships are quite similar. I like a deep veranda and a sofa in the cabin to relax and have in room cocktails or cabin bfst.

I think limiting travel to only one line is like eating in the same chain restaurant in every city you visit. There may be some minor perks for traveling with the same line but doesn't it get boring knowing that every 3rd nite out you will get the same menu whether in Alaska or Europe?

Just one persons opinion but maybe someone can educate me. It's not like frequent flier miles, is it?

Personally I think the notion of "frequent cruiser miles" is a bit over-rated. Yes, we "status" on two major cruise lines but quite frankly I don't see a great advantage. The discounts are not really discounts as you can do as well or better on the web or through almost any TA. Yes we get special invitations to cocktail parties while on the ship and rarely go. But....I won't go on as this is Dave's thread and am more interested in his comparisons.

Dave - You're right on with the service comparisons. Have to ask.....do you consider Celebrity's Sky Suite basically the same category as the HAL's Deluxe Verandah Suite?

The Celebrity SS is roughly equivalent to the HAL SS with the addition of the butler and some priority perks. It's priced like HAL's S, though.

-dave

It's a general consensus that the dining room on Celebrity produces "better" food than HAL. And I'll agree with that.

Over the 12 nights of our cruise we tried fish, beef, chicken, pork, shrimp, duck, veal, lamb and lobster. All were very good, a step above the same things on HAL. Sauces were better, seasonings were better, the taste was better.

X also impressed with the inaginative apetizers it offered which were also uniformly well done.

Less successful were salads (although the dressings were great) which were uniformly bland and similar night to night (we tried to guess each night what word would be used for the chopped and tossed greens - "micture", "melange", and even "panache" showed up on the menu).

While we weren't disappointed with the soups, they seemed to have the same "similar with different names" problem as the salads. HAL's soups were better.

Desserts are done uniformly well on both lines.

To sum up, Infinity had better prepared food on balance with good imagination and preperation but HAL has a wider range of offerings in almost all categories. THe one Infinity dinner my DW found poorly done was the only time they attempted a non-continental offering, Pad Thai. HAL, of course, excells in Asian and fusion cuisine.

For a 7 day cruise, X wins hands down. Even a 10-day. At 12-days, a certain jaded sameness factor settles in for 2 weeks or longer, I think I'd rather have HAL's less than stellar but more variable cuisine.

Still, for this cruise, we'll give the champion's belt to X for the food in the dining room.

-dave

We'd requested a table for 2 on Infinity, which we always do on HAL. And HAL always comes through. So we were a bit taken aback to be led to a table for 8 on our first night on X.

The next night, we stopped by the Maitre d's stand and requested a switch. He consulted his charts and said that while there were a couple of 2-tops, they were in less desirable locations. Would w mind a table for 6 that was set for 2? We siad no, we wouldn't mind and were seated at a lovely table by the window near the front of the Trellis restaurant on the starboatd side. Our steward, Francisco, actually only had three tables (10 passengers) to serve as three of his tables remained empty all cruise (the three away from the windows). Francisco appeared to be new to being a steward (or "waiter" as X calls them) but was certainly compitent. He occasionally semed preoccupied, probably with trying to remember all that he'd been taught.

The asst. waiter, Jose Chavez, seemed an old hand and quietly and effortlessly took up the slack for Francisco. Our asst. maitre d', Marco, had also recently been promoted (he'd been a waiter in the specialty restaurant, the S.S. United States) and was very aware of "his" customer's needs.

Our last cruise on the Oosterdam we'd been seated in a similar position but our steward, Henry, was an old hand and a pleasure.

Our wine steward, Mario (from Romania) was a decided improvement on the HAL versions. Mario knew his wines and was able to make intelligent recommendations based on our previous orders. It was also tireless in his duties as he frequently had to chase around the ship to find bottles of the less requested wines for his demanding clientele. But he did seem to enjoy his job and was always quick to see us when we sat down - but also always gave us time to first look at the menu. HAL's wine stewards can be efficient if rarely knowledgeable.

So what's the score? For steward/waiter - our HAL experience was slightly better, but only marginally. Asst. was much better with X as was maitre d' and sommelier was far better with X.

Infinity/ Celebrity wins DR service hands down.

-dave

These are wonderful comparison posts, Dave, and I'm really enjoying them. Thanks for them.

But, I find after reading some 'conclusions' at the end of the some segments saying to myself......Yes, for the particular waiter Dave and his wife had on this cruise/this ship. And, yes, as to the particular waiter Dave had on HAL on Oosterdam. Or, yes, as to the particular cabin steward etc We all know there are excellent stewards and others who need a little more training. The steward for one section is terrific; the abutting section as a less experienced/capable waiter.

Our most recent HAL cruise was on the Oosterdam (Mexican Riviera) last January, so this will be strictly an O'dam vs. Infinity comparison. It should, though, be applicable to other Vista/Millenium class ships.

I know you clearly stated it is a comparison of Oosterdam to Infinity.....but did imply it should apply to other Vista/Millenium class ships? That is the part I keep 'stumbling over'.

Please keep the comparisons coming. They are great to read.....loads of info.

I know you clearly stated it is a comparison of Oosterdam to Infinity.....but did imply it should apply to other Vista/Millenium class ships? That is the part I keep 'stumbling over'.

I'd dearly love to do the "research" that would be needed for a true comparison of the Vista-class experience to the Milennium-class experience, but doubt my wife will let me run off that much :) .

So this is simply one man's experience contrasting one cruise on each ship. While I'd like to think my experience was typical, there's no way (at this point) of knowing for sure. Just as a guideline, for example, we found the DR service on the Oosterdam in January to be better than that on the Volendam 14 months before. Go figure :)

We enjoy both our Holland and Celebrity cruises for different reasons as you are summing up. I agree totally so far with you on what you have described except our waiters on Celebrity have always been top notch. I enjoy the European service a little better. Let's hear some more.

We have sailed the O dam in an S suite and Concierge or balcony on various X cruises, including the Infinity. We sail the Rotterdam in a few weeks.

In short, here are my comparisons...

Loved the S suite on the Oosterdam. Best room we have ever had. Great deck furniture, great bed, huge bathroom. DaKrewser highlighted many of these strengths. We have not booked an SS ***** X but have shared cocktails with friends in their SS and I think it is comparable. Room stewards were unseen on the O, and quite frankly, often were not done with daily room cleaning, sometimes by mid afternoon. The Infinity was like clockwork, extremely efficient and always greeting in the hall.

Similarly, the dining room experience on the O (this was a 7 day cruise) was below only because of timeliness. Our courses were usually brought out in disjointed fashion so we always had to ask our tablemates, "did you order salad?" because sometimes they did and it just did not come out with the others. Again, the wait staff was almost silent and unseen, which some people love, while the Infinity experience (we had a waiter named Marco and I will never forget him) included many pleasant exchanges with staff. But we had a great wine steward on the O - one of the best ever.

The buffet - lido food area - was superior on the Oosterdam. I think this comes down to the experience of feeling that everyone is getting taken care of and there is a certain orderliness to the system that allows you to get your food and meet up with your party. Somehow, not sure how, the O succeeded in doing this quite well. And the food was superior here too.

Finally, the other stand out comparison is the spa facilities. We bought the package on the O dam that allowed us access to a beautiful spa pool and related facilities all week. Yes, it cost a little more, but oh the heaven and wonder. We really loved the peace and quiet. We have never been convinced that the Millie class ships had enough of an offering to pay out for a week package. Their spa area is open to all, which is great, if you like 20 people in a jacuzzi and people scrambling over chairs all day. Their extra fee spa area is quite nice and we have thought about it, but it is specialized compartments of aroma therapy and spa rooms. Nothing like the heated tile loungers overlooking the ocean with trickling water fountains and the jet streams in the secluded pool on the O!

Thats our thoughts - we will cruise both X and Hal in the future, but X has been our mainstay because we love the service staff and know many by name, and have great confidence in their service. We look forward to the cruise on the Rotterdam and wish there were more posts about her!

Oh, maybe one other point. I like the layout of the O dam better than the Infinity because the various lounges were so unique and nicely sized and offered great comfortable furniture. I look forward to checking out the renovations on the Rotterdam and enjoying the exquisite layout design of a Hal ship again. I do love the understated ambiance of HAL.

Nancy

While the Pinnacle Grill on the Oosterdam and the S.S. United States on the Infinity represent vastly different styles of restaurants, both succeed admirably at reaching their target.

THe Pinnacle Grill is an old fashioned Chop House/Steak House while the S.S. Untied States is an Americanized version of a French Michelin-starred village restaurant.

The food in both is excellent. The service in both is top notch.

We ordered the chef's tasting menu with matching wines on Infinity. It was, by far, the best all-around meal I've ever had on a ship. The Montrachet goat cheese souffle is - as many will tell you - to die for. Our menu that evening was:

Lobster Veloute (a creamy, rich lobster broth) Murrietta Well's Semillion 2000

Goat Cheese Soufle with Tomato Coulis Cakebread Sauvignon Blanc 2003

Granite of Passion Fruit and White Rum

Salmon and Crab Gratin Louis Jadot Meursault 1999

Cheeses and fruit Fonseca Port LBV 1999

Chocolate Souffle (me) Bite-size suprprise desserts (DW) Chapoutier Muscat de Beaume de Venise

Coffee

Interestingly, though, when I suggested we return to the S.S. United States another night, DW sat down with the menu and said that we'd already had the best it afforded, why ruin the memory? Yet on the Oosterdam we went to the Pinnacle Grill 2 nights out of 7 and thoroughly enjoyed both.

As in the dining room, I think HAL has the broader selection, but X has the better preperation and presentation for what it does offer.

There was more interaction with the staff at the S.S. United States - the asst. Maitre d', the waiter and the sommelier all took time to discuss the menu, the dishes, the wines and listen to our thoughts and suggestions. THe Pinnacle staff were very good, very professional and very "chop house" which I don't mean as a negative.

I'll give the edge to X, but only a slight edge based on the superb meal we enjoyed.

A glance at the wines we had with our meal in the S.S. United States should tell you that it has a very interesting wine list. Infinity's main dining room also has a very extensive listing which is, surprisingly, very heavy on California wines. THe table of 6 Italians who sat next to us in the DR were vociferous in their complaint that there was little in the way of Italian wine - I counted 5 different offerings only one of which (a Gavi di Gavi) struck me as interesting (and it was very good). THe specialty restaurant's on the Millie class ships all have "special" wine lists with unique offerings. Among other things, the S.S. United States offered a 1943 Vieux Chateau Certan from Bordeaux. THey only had one bottle which the sommelier agreed was probably well over the hill - but he was quite willing to pop the cork if I wanted to spring for the $900 (I think) that it was going for!

Oosterdam's and the Pinnacle's lists were smaller in number of selections but broader in types of wines and places of origin.

A slight plus to Infinity for having a few very good French wines (the Puligny-Montrachet, Meursault and Chablis 1ere cru we had were all outstanding).

As I mentioned previously, the sommeliers on X seemed more knowledgable,also.

-dave

dakrewser,

Keep it coming. We cruise next Saturday on Celebrity for the first time. We have cruised with HAL the last four trips and are interested in comparing the two lines. We have not had a bad cruise yet so I know it will be great but every line offers something different. Thanks for the comparison. Wendy

Archived