Hurricane Ivan and the Eastern Caribbean.

As someone who lives in St. Lucia, I can tell you that the outlook on Ivan is very grim. This is the most powerful hurricane in history to have formed this low in the Caribbean. At this time, St. Vincent, St. Lucia, Barbados, Martinique and Dominica are all in danger...real danger, the rest from Trinidad and Grenada to Antigua in the north are on the watch for the far reaching effects.Bear in mind that these islands are in some cases 20-30 miles apart and in the case of St. Lucia only 14 miles at its widest. More importantly there is virtually nothing on these islands to protect against the wind. It is indeed a very frightening situation. Category 3 and growing...:eek: God help us.

I know that for now most of you are not affected, but some of you will be cruising this way in the next few days...so just wanted to share this with you.

Denyse/ Caribbean Diva.

The NHC issued an interim advisory on Ivan at 8PM tonight, which is almost never done for a storm still so far from land.

It has increased to Category 4, with top winds of 135 mph.

This is unheard of. The storm was first declared a hurricane at 5AM this morning, and by 8PM it is Cat 4!

Theron

caribbean diva, I live in Trinidad and we are watching Ivan closely as well, from weather reports it is "supposed" to pass between Barbados on Tuesday, but as we all know, this is not an exact science and anything can happen. I am getting married in 19 days and cruising from Puerto Rico to Barbados and St. Lucia two days later, both of which are favourite islands of mine. I can only pray that Ivan does not make landfall on any island ,my thoughts are with you and my fellow Caribbean neighbours.

We are cruising on the adventure out of san juan this coming sunday- I pray that Ivan veers out to sea- and leaves all land lubbers out of its path! We will be praying for all of you living on these islands and for all those traveling in and about the areas!

God Bless!

caribbean diva, I live in Trinidad and we are watching Ivan closely as well, from weather reports it is "supposed" to pass between Barbados on Tuesday, but as we all know, this is not an exact science and anything can happen. I am getting married in 19 days and cruising from Puerto Rico to Barbados and St. Lucia two days later, both of which are favourite islands of mine. I can only pray that Ivan does not make landfall on any island ,my thoughts are with you and my fellow Caribbean neighbours.

Hi..I am from Trinidad:D, but I now live in St. Lucia...congrats on your wedding! I spoke with my parents tonight, they are in Trinidad and are very concerned for me as well as my sister who lives in Grenada. Boy, I think this one will be a whopper. Hope all turns out well for your cruise.

Diva:)

Hi..I am from Trinidad:D, but I now live in St. Lucia...congrats on your wedding! I spoke with my parents tonight, they are in Trinidad and are very concerned for me as well as my sister who lives in Grenada. Boy, I think this one will be a whopper. Hope all turns out well for your cruise.

Diva:)

Hi fellow Trini,I was in St. Lucia in November, and I am looking forward to visiting again. Keep monitoring the situation and if it looks bad, take the first flight back to Trinidad, you know what they say, God is a Trini!

While Hurricannes in Florida are horrible, my heart has to go out to people on the islands in the caribbean. While people in the US have the option of leaving their homes for a well-built shelter on higher ground, well equiped police forces to protect evacuated areas, agencies like FEMA and volunteers from other parts of the country rushing in to help, the tiny and unwealthy nations of the caribbean are so ill prepared and are in grave danger from such a storm. We'll be praying for you this week!

While Hurricannes in Florida are horrible, my heart has to go out to people on the islands in the caribbean. While people in the US have the option of leaving their homes for a well-built shelter on higher ground, well equiped police forces to protect evacuated areas, agencies like FEMA and volunteers from other parts of the country rushing in to help, the tiny and unwealthy nations of the caribbean are so ill prepared and are in grave danger from such a storm. We'll be praying for you this week!

This is exactly the case...imagine my horror this morning while I was busy having trees on my property trimmed, my next door neighbour has loose sheets of galvanize just laying around, and seems unconcerned about the pending threat. Due to the fact that infomation is poorly deciminated here in the Caribbean, people do not take the precautions that they should and that's a real problem.

Caribbean Diva

Well Ivan missed Trinidad, battered Tobago with damage to some homes, schools and one person dead. Our coast guard went over to Grenada to deliver supplies today we just had a look at what Ivan did to Grenada on the news tonight and I am awestruck; the island totally devastated, houses are either flattened or badly damaged, trees uprooted, flooding , the airport is damaged and power is out all over the island. So far there are 26 confirmed deaths,the prison has collapsed and prisoners are on the loose. The estimate is that 90% of the homes on the island are damaged and the agricultre sector is totally wiped out, it looks like a war zone and Ivan is headed to Jamaica from all projections.

Please know that your fellow CC members are thinking of all of you constantly, and praying for you. This is just so devastating, and to "read" it played out in real time while sitting in Upstate NY is a bit surreal. Stay safe.

Archived