Trying to remember name of ship that went down in a hurricane

Coral

More of a general ship question (I know it wasn't a Princess ship).

I remember hearing of a cruise ship several years ago that was sailing during a hurricane. They dropped the passengers off safely at an island and then the crew tried to move the ship away from the storm to save the ship and they ended up losing it to the storm.

Does anyone know which ship this way - I remember it being a small cruise ship. Thanks. Curiosity of the events this week made me think of it.

Thanks! It must be Fantome. It fits what I remember about it. The book listed with the link "The Ship and the Storm" looks like a good book - may need to order it.

I was thinking it was a ship sounding liked "Merida" but I looked at that ship's history and didn't find anything even remotely similiar. So it probably is the Fantome. It was one of those things that was on my mind but couldn't remember any details.

Right... there was also a Premier Cruise ship that was being deadheaded from New York to FL (or thereabouts) after Premier went Chapter 7 (or 11 or whatever) in the middle of winter. They ran into a major storm in the Atlantic (that was well-forecast and they had plenty of time to avoid) and just happened to have another ship nearby when they started to take on water. Everyone was saved but the ship went down. Insurance paid.

The sinking of the Premier ship a few years ago was a coast guard air rescue, not another ship being nearby. There was quite an article in Flying magazine a couple years ago about the team from Oceana Naval Station that went out to save the Seabreeze crew in that storm. It was an incredible feat of skill and bravery on the part of the coast guard team to pull all the crewmembers off that ship.

I wish I still had that article, as there several great pictures of the ship, listing over on it's side almost, with the helicopter hovering there plucking people off the deck.

Found an article online about that rescue. It was actually Elizabeth City, NC, where the Coast Guard team was from, and they returned to Oceana due to fuel. The 2 Jayhawk helicopters that did the rescue are designed to carry 8 passengers. The first one carried 26. They had sustained 50 knot winds, with 75 knot gusts. That's not far from hurricane strength. There are several articles out there, especially on the USCG site. Type in "seabreeze sinking" in google, and they'll be there. This one was at http://www.aviationtoday.com/cgi/rw/show_mag.cgi?pub=rw&mon=0201&file=0201rorep.htm

One of the TV news magazine shows had a video story showing how the Coast Guard flew out in helicopters and rescued the last of the crew. It was awesome. Having sailed on the Seabreeze when it was a Dolphin ship (used to love that dinky cruise line) the show was especially interesting to me.

I am NERVOUS about our upcoming cruise in a week and a half. PUHlease don't talk about ships going down in storms:eek: .

More of a general ship question (I know it wasn't a Princess ship).

I remember hearing of a cruise ship several years ago that was sailing during a hurricane. They dropped the passengers off safely at an island and then the crew tried to move the ship away from the storm to save the ship and they ended up losing it to the storm.

Does anyone know which ship this way - I remember it being a small cruise ship. Thanks. Curiosity of the events this week made me think of it.

December of 1944, Halsey's Third Fleet lost three destroyers to capsizing in a typhoon (same as hurricane - regional name), in the China Sea.

Halsey almost lost command of the fleet over that incident.

My wife and I were on the little Golden Odyssey (10,000 GRT) Nov 86, while trying to avoid a typhoon in the China Sea. We had green water over the bridge, screws out of the water, and were told that the inclinometer was pegged several times. That was rough!

Having gone through several typhoons (including a couple of monsters) while stationed on Okinawa, I have a great deal of empathy for those in Florida and the Caribbean.

Michael

Archived