Seattle airport and flight questions

elbmag

We are going on an Alaskan cruise next July. I'm curious how long it takes on a Tuesday morning to get from the port to the airport? Do you think an 11:20AM flight on the day we return from our cruise would be too early? I generally suck it up and schedule an early afternoon flight to be safe but since we are going to the east coast and can't get a direct flight I'm trying to get the earliest flight I can so we can be home before midnight.

Thank you for any help or suggestions.

Edited by elbmag

Tuesday is not a super busy day for cruise people at the airport. If it was a Saturday or Sunday I'd say no way, but on a Tuesday you'll probably be okay provided you arrange to disembark asap after arriving, remembering there will be immigration and customs to get through. Note there are two cruise terminals, Piers 66 and 91. Norwegian and Oceania use Pier 66, which is close to downtown, while all others use Pier 91, which is a couple of miles north of downtown and hence farther from the airport, which is to the south. You should plan on 30-40 min. from the cruise terminal to the airport, and you'd want to be at the airport at least 90 min. before your flight - 2 hours is better - so do the reverse math and there you go.

Also note that it's entirely possible your flight schedule will change in the 10 months between now and then, so a plan B would be a good idea.

Edited by Gardyloo

We fly out of SeaTac all the time and rarely ever get there 2 hours before our flight. We both have TSA Pre-check and have not ever had to wait in the security line any longer than ten minutes, usually we are through in 5 minutes.

Checking baggage usually takes us less than 15 minutes.

So if you have TSA Pre-check, you should be fine.:)

We are going on an Alaskan cruise next July. I'm curious how long it takes on a Tuesday morning to get from the port to the airport? Do you think an 11:20AM flight on the day we return from our cruise would be too early? I generally suck it up and schedule an early afternoon flight to be safe but since we are going to the east coast and can't get a direct flight I'm trying to get the earliest flight I can so we can be home before midnight.

Thank you for any help or suggestions.

Okay, Tuesday arrival in Seattle from the cruise means that you're going on Carnival and that means you'll arrive at Pier 91. Carnival usually starts disembarkation about 7:30 and if you have an early release time off the ship, then you'll probably be through customes and out the front door by 8am. Transfer buses to SeaTac will start leaving by 8:20-8:30, Seattle Express & Shuttle Express buses will leave maybe a bit sooner as they're smaller (quicker load) but should beging leaving about the same time. The quickest way to SeaTac will be by taxi and there will be a line of them all ready to go. Since Tues.. is a work day, traffic may be a bit heavy but you will be headed the opposite diretion so that shouldn't be a major problem. I would estimate that barring unforseen circumstances, you should be at SeaTac by 9:30-10am.

Personally, I believe that you should be safe with an 11:20 flight. I believe that most of the ship transfers run about $25/person so if you've got 2 people the difference in cost between a ship transfer and a taxi is nil. Even if you're not in the first group to get off the ship, there is only 1 ship at Pier 91 on Tuesday not 2 as on Sat. & Sun. so shortage of taxis is not a normal problem.

Hope this helps.

Tom

I appreciate the information. You are correct we are on Carnival. I'm usually playing this safe but to play it safe and leave Seattle at 1:30ish means it is already 4:30 on the east coast. There will be 3 of us (my wife, myself and my 12 year old son). We always do self-assist so we are generally off the ship early and have our bags. I assumed the best bet would be a taxi and your post confirmed that. Thank you for the answer I was hoping to hear. I fully understand that it is a gamble and anything could happen and I won't have much wiggle room.

I appreciate the information. You are correct we are on Carnival. I'm usually playing this safe but to play it safe and leave Seattle at 1:30ish means it is already 4:30 on the east coast. There will be 3 of us (my wife, myself and my 12 year old son). We always do self-assist so we are generally off the ship early and have our bags. I assumed the best bet would be a taxi and your post confirmed that. Thank you for the answer I was hoping to hear. I fully understand that it is a gamble and anything could happen and I won't have much wiggle room.

You will probably be out of the terminal building by 8am at the latest. Once you exit the luggage hall there will be a set of 4 glass doors right in front of you, exit out of of them (the 2 on the right will be the best to use but any will work) and go straight out of the building. In front of you to the right will be the transfer buses and just about straight in front of you will be a line of yellow cabs. Head toward the cabs and you will be directed to the forwardmost empty cab. The cab will depart as soon as you are all in and you should be at SeaTac in about 35-45 minutes where the cab will drop you off at your airline.

Hope that you have a great cruise and a safe trip to and from Seattle!

Tom

I am coming back from Alaska on a Sunday (Princess) and I am about to book an 11:25AM flight out of Seattle myself - I have TSA pre-check clearance so I was assuming I'd have no issue with a earlier flight. I was planning to take a cab from the cruise port. Is this a good idea? Opinions very appreciated. Thanks.