Wine onboard?

ogtiger

I ordered an insulated wine shipping box on the internet. You know, the kind with styrofoam to hold the individal bottles. It holds 12 bottles. Can we take this onboard? I have heard we should check it with our luggage. How are the airlines going to handle it? I assume we can check it with our luggage since wine companies ship wine all the time? Any problems that you can think of? Thanks!

I ordered an insulated wine shipping box on the internet. You know, the kind with styrofoam to hold the individal bottles. It holds 12 bottles. Can we take this onboard? I have heard we should check it with our luggage. How are the airlines going to handle it? I assume we can check it with our luggage since wine companies ship wine all the time? Any problems that you can think of? Thanks!

When we sailed on the Grand in November 2003, I took a case of wine on board using the type of wine shipping box you describe. I put that box inside an inexpensive, canvas parachute bag. There was extra room on both sides for shoes, snorkeling equipment, etc. I checked the bag for both the flight and embarkation, with no problems. We then used the parachute bag for dirty clothes, since there was lots of room once the wine was removed (and we definitely wouldn’t be bringing it or the styrofoam shipping box back).

Hope that helps.

We just got one of those cardboard boxes at the liquor store that holds 12 bottles and put about 8 bottles in it. Some were wine, some were hard alcohol. We taped the box up with packing tape and then found a canvas bag with handles that it would fit in. We carried it on the plane and at the ship and had no problems. We were going to check it at the ship but the porter said they are pretty rough with those bags and to just carry it on and it was no problem. It went through scanners at both the airport and at the ship but nobody said anything. At the Princess desk where we checked in and got our cruise cards, they didn't ask to see what we were carrying on and in fact couldn't even see what we had because the counter is about 4 1/2 feet tall and we set it on the ground. Actually walking onto the ship, nobody even blinked an eye. Also, at ports, we bought several bottles and just put them through the scanner and they let us take them to the room, although we really didn't need them because we already had a good supply. We still bought some drinks while on the ship but having the extra was helpful. We made our drinks more potent that way. Also, we took bottles of wine to dinner twice and they charged us $10 for a corking fee the first time. The second time, our waiter said he would have to charge us but he never did. Our waiter was really cool about it though, so that may make a difference. We used the same box on the way home to bring back the bottles we bought at ports. We brought the packing tape with us and re-taped it. That's it. Hope you have a great time.

I have never had a problem with checking a 12-bottle wine shipper as you have suggested.I have even gone through the trouble of wrapping each bottle so that it doesn't squeak against the styrofoam inserts but found that it's not needed.Just be sure to include your wine opener inside it,wrap well with tape and attach your luggage tags as you would with your regular luggage and you'll be fine.I wouldn't try to carry it on,it's too heavy and will make your life miserable.The only time I ever put the shipper into a duffel bag was on a RCL cruise because I was worried about their wine policy but that went smoothly too.

There also is a wine shipment service called "Just Because of You" which is based in FL.They will gift wrap wine,beer,& water and deliver to the ship for you.Great service and no dragging it through airports!

ogtiger, or anyone else who can help- Can you tell me on what web site you ordered a wine shipper? All the ones I have found require you to purchase in bulk! I only want 1! Here in Oklahoma, it is illegal to ship alcohol, so none of the mail places or liquor stores have them.

Everyone, thanks for all the good advice. I don't want to put it in a duffel so I'm glad I can just tape it real good and check it on the plane. We have a rolling (folding) cart to take it into and out of the airport and hotel to the ship so that should work well. I was mostly worried about the airline. So thanks everyone!!!

I got my box at http://www.dial-a-box.com. It's strange ordering a box and when you recieve it, it's just a box with styrofoam. :) Seems like there should be something inside!

ogtiger, or anyone else who can help- Can you tell me on what web site you ordered a wine shipper? All the ones I have found require you to purchase in bulk! I only want 1! Here in Oklahoma, it is illegal to ship alcohol, so none of the mail places or liquor stores have them.

39 - try Kamber's, One Silver Place, or Sous Chef to see if they have single bottle carriers. I know that I've seen them. They are basically an insulated tube made out of impact-resistant material.

We just got our docs - how long has the policy stated NO alcohol? I am used to bringing my own wine - the rccl prices are really out of line. Markups seem to be 4 to 6 times retail??? So any one returned from a cruise with the No Alcohol policy in their docs. Does corkage still exist or are you captive to the Wine and Dine packages???

As you've said, wine and champagne are permitted. The written policy indicates that liquor and beer are not permitted.....but my experience has been that you can bring anything onboard as long as you don't go to excess. However, with that said, I should note that I've seen posts from 2 people indicating that they had their liquor embargoed until the last day of the cruise. I don't know if they were just unlucky or if their situation was one of 'excess'.

• 6 years later...
As you've said, wine and champagne are permitted. The written policy indicates that liquor and beer are not permitted.....but my experience has been that you can bring anything onboard as long as you don't go to excess. However, with that said, I should note that I've seen posts from 2 people indicating that they had their liquor embargoed until the last day of the cruise. I don't know if they were just unlucky or if their situation was one of 'excess'.

Thanks for the great info and esp. the pix of Christchurch which we may never see in its' full historical and architectural glory again. Your tour descriptions were great for both NZ and Aust and will really help in our 2012 travel plans. Keep up the great travel notes and quotes with pix!

Thanks for the great info and esp. the pix of Christchurch which we may never see in its' full historical and architectural glory again. Your tour descriptions were great for both NZ and Aust and will really help in our 2012 travel plans. Keep up the great travel notes and quotes with pix!

Princess ships operating in Australia/NZ , Sun Princess, Dawn Princess and soon Sea Princess are tight on bringing on even wine. 'One bottle of wine/champagne' at embarkation.

No beer, no spirits.

We have one of these and have used it many times. Only problem is that now that we have to pay for luggage we have to pay to bring the empty case home. :(

We have lately reverted back to using the cardboard cases wine is originally shipped in so when we get to the ship we just toss it out.

Hint: We put several luggage labels (the kind from the ship with your cabin number) on it in case one gets ripped off. We don't attach these until AFTER the flight.

One of the posters above said they carried their wine onboard the plane. Here in UK we can't take liquids onboard aircraft as hand luggage - is it different in USA?

I just noticed the original post was from 2005!!!!!!!

No, we can't carry liquids either.

Archived