In Moorea Now, Nov 9 - 14

Mercruiser

We are at the Moorea Hilton now. Here is a picture of the Celebrity Millennium in Opunohu Bay, as viewed from our balcony at the Hilton.

The view of Millennium sure brings back great memories of our Panama canal cruise. Here is a link to a larger image.

i-9Pbpzth-M.jpg

We arrived in Tahiti at 5:30 am, about 1/2 hour early, on Air Tahiti Nui. After about 1 hour to get through customs, we were on our way to the ferry from Tahiti to Moorea, and in our room by 9:30 am.

This resort is full of young honeymooners. We sure didn't have the money to visit a place like this when we were in that stage of life. :D

We are at the Moorea Hilton now. Here is a picture of the Celebrity Millennium in Opunohu Bay, as viewed from our balcony at the Hilton.

The view of Millennium sure brings back great memories of our Panama canal cruise. Here is a link to a larger image.

i-9Pbpzth-M.jpg

We arrived in Tahiti at 5:30 am, about 1/2 hour early, on Air Tahiti Nui. After about 1 hour to get through customs, we were on our way to the ferry from Tahiti to Moorea, and in our room by 9:30 am.

This resort is full of young honeymooners. We sure didn't have the money to visit a place like this when we were in that stage of life. :D

Looking forward to reading more about your Moorea experience, we will be at the Hilton in Moorea pre-cruise in September 14.

i-9Pbpzth-M.jpg

Hi Mercrusier, Great picture. We are planing to do the same thing in Feb. and I would like to know how you made your way from the airport to the ferry and then to the hotel. Were the transfers pre-arranged or did you just take a taxi to the ferry and then what? The info. sure would help. And if possible please post some more of these great pictures. Thanks a lot. Richie :):):)

After we cleared customs at PPT airport, I headed straight for an ATM at the airport. I took out 40000 XPF ($452). Remember the travel advice, take half as much luggage, and twice as much money, as you think you need.

A couple of people tried to get us to take a shuttle to the ferry. I skipped those offers because I didn't want to wait around for that when taxis are available. We walked out to the taxi stand and went with the first guy in line. He quoted 2500 XPF, which included our "too much luggage". We are are going on a cool-weather cruise after this in New Zealand, so we have a suitcase for that.

The taxi driver was a local guy, who was very helpful. He drove us right to the luggage drop off for the Aremeti 5. This was at 7:00 a.m. The ferry left at 7:35. Buying a ticket was quick and easy. I used my credit card to save my cash for Moorea.

While on the ferry, I called the Hilton activities desk and told them I was on an earlier ferry than I had originally arranged (8 a.m. versus 9 a.m.). They called me back on my cell phone in a couple of minutes and said my transfer was would pick me up at 8:00 a.m.

I was originally going to use Albert's for the transfer, but I was having problems explaining to the person which ferry I was arriving on. While exchanging several emails with Alberts, Hilton sent me an email offering to arrange a transfer. It was a little more than Alberts, but I went with it because they made it easy.

I didn't use toreanui because their web link is dead:

www.toreanui.com

We arrived at the Hilton around 8:45 a.m. There were a whole lot of people there who had also arrived on the Air Tahiti Nui red-eye. We were very fortunate because our room was not occupied and we were able to check in right away. We were in our room, #109 on the very NW end of the over-water bungalows by 9:30 a.m.

Here are a couple of photos.

The new seats on Air Tahiti Nui. There is a USB outlet right next to the video screen for charging your smartphone or tablet. Very nice on a long flight.

CA_11111306100906-M.jpg

Put you luggage in the bins and buy your ticket at the window for the Aremeti 5 ferry to Moorea.

IMG_5541_DxO-M.jpg

On Sunday, we went on Albert's Lagoon tour.

IMG_5585_DxO-M.jpg

We went swimming with the sharks and rays. Be sure to bring your own mask (or swim goggles), drinking water, underwater camera, and toilet paper (the ladies privy at the motu was BYOTP).

IMG_4540-M.jpg

Exploring the motu on Albert's tour.

IMG_4601-M.jpg

This afternoon, we are renting a car from Avis for 24 hours. They are picking us up at the Hilton at noon and taking us to their office at the ferry dock to check out the car.

We want to put out a special thank you to Tikiintahiti. We have been going with your recommendations. We had lunch at Lilikoi Garden Cafe and dinner at Snack Matairi. I really liked their Tahitian fish salad. Here is a picture of your favorite cruise ship entering Opunohu Bay this morning for its overnight stay at Moorea.

IMG_5633_DxO-M.jpg

Glad you got #109 .............. one of the very best rooms. Private, great views, great sunsets :)

Thanks for the picture of the PG, I'm going to miss here this year as we are off to the new smaller ship that PG now owns.

Yes the little places I mentioned to eat are good and the price is right.

As you have the car remember to stop at Carmelines, the AG school for ice cream and Les Tipaniers Beach frint cafe for lunch, the view is nice. Daniels pizza on the south side of the island makes a great ham & pinnapple pizza ....... with the local pinnapple ....... yummy!

That brings back memories! My husband and I were rained out three of four days in Moorea, but were able to arrange a private lunch on a motu, then swimming with the stingrays and sharks. It was a thrill of a lifetime. So glad you are having a great time!

It is near the time for us to leave the Hilton Moorea. We are taking the afternoon ferry to Papeete. I have a car reserved with Avis at the downtown location. We will tour the island until dark and then get dinner at the roulettes. Our flight to New Zealand leaves at 2:00 a.m. :( We will arrive in Auckland bright and early at 6:00 a.m. for our Celebrity Solstice cruise to Sydney.

The Hilton Moorea is my new favorite resort. We really loved our OWB, #109. I would pick this room again, or any of its neighbors facing Opunohu Bay. We were fortunate to book this hotel on the Hilton AXON awards before the points devaluation earlier this year. I paid 20000 XPF per night for the upgrade to the panoramic OWB. I am very happy with how it all turned out.

I have loaded all of my pictures in this gallery. The WiFi here is really good.

Beautiful, thanks so much for sharing. Many of your photos are truly prettier than a postcard. Are you a pro photographer in "real life"?

Great photos, Send more if you have them. We will be there in Feb. and can't wait