Do I really need a Goretex/breathable rain jacket

jbinbi

Going to be in Alaska on June 1 to 14 with the following itinerary.

I have a waterproof rain jacket that is not breathable (golf pullover), plus fleece and layers. Wondering if I need to upgrade this.

day 1 , Fairbanks, riverboat

Day 2, denali princess walking hike

Day 3, Denali tour

day 4 glacier landing and flightseeing (walk on glacier)

day 5 devils canyon river rafting Talkeetna

day 10 skagway rail white pass

day 12 ketichan nature walk

day 13 juneau whale watch

plus time on the boat , glacier bay etc.

I like having a zippered water proof/resistant jacket with a hood and depending on the weather a fleece zippered jacket beneath that. What I experience is that it may be cool starting out and those layers are needed but if I get warm I can unzip one or both of them without having to take them off. Just works better to regulate the temperature rather than having to take layers off and then putting them back on if I get cold.

One time we were kayaking with our life vests on. It was very nice to be able to unzip my jacket after paddling for a while without having to take the vest off to get to the outer layer.

Some swear by a breathable Gortex jackets. Maybe I would too but I’ve never owned one. The one I have is perfect for Alaska and cost $30 at Costco.

I would say, yes you may want to upgrade, especially due to your Ketchikan "walk" since it's a good chance it will be raining. Only a comment, but, this is something easily done on your own, for free, and when the weather breaks perhaps. All of Alaska is "nature" with some very nice walking areas, easily marked.

Gortex is no longer the only game in town when it comes to breathable waterproof materials. The problem I have with non breathable rainwear is when it is warm, last year it was very warm in late June (90 in Anchorage/Talkeetna). Had I not had a Gortex outer layer I would have been a sweaty mess. If your goal is to simply keep the rain off you an inexpensive rain coat will suffice. If you want to be dry and comfortable for extended periods it may be tough without something breathable.

If you can play golf in your current gear without getting uncomfortably sweaty, it will be absolutely fine. You're not trekking for days with no chance to dry yourself out. I'd be more concerned with a good pair of waterproof footwear - drying a pair of boots takes a long time and you do have some consecutive days where you may need them...

At least your most-likely-to-get-soaked event is the last one before boarding giving you several days to launder/air out your gear between days 5 & 10.

The main idea is Base Layer > Insulating Layer > Waterproof Layer. This can mean many things and you don't have to spend a ton or have specialty fabrics like breathable goretex. It makes it nicer, yes, but if you're not spending a lot time in the outdoors, don't invest too much.

Base layer: should keep you warm and dry. Cotton is not good for this because it soaks up and holds water. Wool is much better. If you want to use regular clothes, go with fabric blends. Exercise clothes (yoga pants, compression pants, dri shirts) are a really good option here.

Insulating layer: fluffy, quilted, or padded items are good because they have lots of air pockets, which insulates. The air between your base layer and insulating layer will usually be enough. Again wool is good, but on this layer you could go with cotton if you have to.

Outerwear layer: this should be thin and waterproof (windproof is nice too). This is not for warmth but to keep the water off of you. Breathable is really nice because it doesn't trap your body heat in, but it's not required. Many people use thin waterproof windbreakers for this. You could even use a plastic tourist poncho, since you are meeting the requirement of thin and waterproof.

With these layers you can be comfortable in most conditions, opening and closing and removing layers as you go. If you run into trouble, like getting lost in the woods (who knows? it could happen??) you will be much better off with these three layers than someone in a t-shirt and fleece. Outdoors gear is partly for convenience and partly for "what if" - it's worthwhile to remember that. :)

The best trick I can tell you is, dress for what you are ABOUT to do, not what you are DOING. When you start a hike, stop about 10 minutes in and remove some layers, even if you don't feel hot yet. You WILL feel hot soon and this prevents sweat building up in your base layer. When you stop for a break, put your layers back on. You will feel too hot to do this, but your body will actually chill very quickly without them. Think of those little gymnast girls who put on warmup jackets right after they do a routine at the olympics - they aren't cold yet at all, but they know they will cool off quickly and the jacket slows the cooling so it is less extreme on their body. I have sometimes felt too hot to put on a jacket when I stop walking, but have always regretted it later when I start shivering and have to walk quite a while before I warm back up.

Three layers works for ALL parts of the body.. don't forget legs and feet! Gloves and hats and scarves are also useful tools. And maybe most important, bring a lightweight bag you can use to carry all the layers you are taking off and putting on all the time. :D

Finally, a question I can answer.. I don't do a lot of cruising (yet) but I do a lot of hiking in the Pacific Northwest and I've learned all this the hard way. Hope that helps!

Edited by ModernZombie

Nope. If it's pouring even goretex won't keep you completely dry. I used to do fieldwork in AK and swear by Frog Toggs. I have two sets of the cheap ones and gave one to my SO for his birthday. They are super lightweight and pack up into nothing.

My husband and I have worn either a fleece or a reversible jacket from LL Bean. Then over that DH wears a LL bean waterproof jacket that packs into itself about a 4 in square. I wear a LL Bean poncho over my regular jacket. It has a hood and comes down past my knees(i'm only 5'1"). Both items have worked great for us on our 3 Alaskan cruises. It rained on all three cruises.

I live in Phoenix, where if it rains we go outside and dance in it. So take that into consideration.

My first Alaska cruise was the third week in May 2010. I was so looking forward to going ashore, getting soaked to the bone, then coming back to my cabin, taking a long hot shower, and lounging in my robe. The entire week it was sunny and warm so no good.

My second Alaska cruise was September 2012. I was again looking forward to getting soaked to the bone and coming back to my cabin, and having a nice hot shower. It drizzled slightly when I was in Juneau, and I was a tad bit damp.

Your mileage may vary, but so far I have been unimpressed by all the rain I was promised in SE Alaska.

We too have been to Alaska twice and the only time it rained on each trip was the sea day.

For sure, that is not to say it won't rain everyday on your trip, but those are the chances one takes. For us, to go out and spend top dollar on something you MAY need, and may NEVER use again, it utterly foolish, just to say we have it. You can go into any Army/Navy store and pick up a cheap rainproof poncho or some other thing to keep you dry.

As all have said, it is about layers. Get warm, so you stop and take a layer or two off. is that such a big deal?. Worry more about the shoes you will wear than the jacket. A good pair of waterproof walking shoes will do better than the jacket.

There are always some that need to wear top names, while others will go with whatever Walmart has these days (and they do have some very good stuff).

Cheers

Len