Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

Yes, use the Eide Auto as a hop on/off bus to the Atlantic Road. Or is this just a round trip on the Atlantic Road?

Eide Auto has a bus service with the Atlantic rd.

The buses goes from Molde bus terminal (in the center of town) at track/gate 7.

The bus goes to the Atlantic road and you have to change bus for the return at a place called Kårvåg.

If you get the 10 am bus from Molde you arrive Kårvåg at 11:10 am. The return bus leaves at 12noon and you arrive Molde at 13:10.

The tickets costs NOK 150 pp return.

http://www.eideauto.no/ViewFile.aspx?ItemID=202

This is a regular bus service and not a tour/private tour.

If you want to be more flexible with your time and make stops long the Atlantic road I would suggest a private tour.

This will of course be more costly.

The bus service is a nice and easy way to visit the Atlantic Rd.

Edited by I-Cruiser

Hi Anita,

The same thing happened to me when I googled the route a few weeks ago. I also checked on the ferry schedule from Leknes to Standal and discovered that this ferry only runs twice a day, early in the morning at 9 and at 3pm. I do not know at what time your ship is supposed to leave Alesund, but for us, the 15:00 departure was too close for comfort. Our ship leaves at 5pm. So, the other route it is for us...

Regards

Petra

Petra, we are on the Celebrity Eclipse in July. When are your there? Our ship leaves at 5pm too. We get in at 8am, if we can get on the road by 9am, I'm pretty comfortable getting to Oye and back without too much worry. Much later than that....Looking at the timing, ferry times etc. Not sure we will be comfortable even stopping for lunch...scared that we may miss a ferry and get back late.

Lars, any suggestion for an alternate drive if we get in late or get a late start on the road due to tie ups at the car rental agency? It might be good to have a back up plan.

Petra, we are on the Celebrity Eclipse in July. When are your there? Our ship leaves at 5pm too. We get in at 8am, if we can get on the road by 9am, I'm pretty comfortable getting to Oye and back without too much worry. Much later than that....Looking at the timing, ferry times etc. Not sure we will be comfortable even stopping for lunch...scared that we may miss a ferry and get back late.

Lars, any suggestion for an alternate drive if we get in late or get a late start on the road due to tie ups at the car rental agency? It might be good to have a back up plan.

I just posted an alternative route a few posts ago:)

We don't dock until 10:00 am so we would have to take the 1:15 bus out of Molde. May be cutting it too close to return to the ship!

Thanks for the info!

You welcome.

If you take the 1:15 pm bus you are back in Molde 3.40 pm.

I dont know when you sail but if its cutting it to close to departure I would suggest staying in or closer to Molde.

Sorry Lars, I meant an alternate drive, other than going to Oye. In case we don't have enough time to do that one.

Ok, sorry. You are in port from 8-5 so lets say you have 6-7 hrs in port.

If you back track on the Øye trip it should not take you more than 4,5 hrs driving.

Well, of course you have the famous Path of the Trolls but it will easily take 6 hrs.

You can stay close to Ålesund and do the viewpoint at Mt. Aksla. You could take the subsea tunnels to the island of Giske (for Giske church) and Godøy for the little village of Alnes (all the way out into the ocean) and its lighthouse.

The islands are no more than a 20 minute drive from Ålesund.

Here is an article and pictures of the progress of making the new stairs from town (Ålesund) to the Aksla viewpoint.

Its in Norwegian only but the pictures should be fine;)

Looks like the steps are set to open May 15 (this year). The work is on schedule.

http://www.smp.no/nyheter/alesundogomland/article10573432.ece#1

Ah! 3 days late for those of us arriving on the Celebrity Eclipse! :-(

Stuart

Edited by Wiltonian

If the return departure cuts it a bit close you can take this route.

It is approx. 30 minutes longer and goes via the town of Ørsta.

As you can see from the map you follow from Øye the Road 655 - take the ferry from Leksnes to Sæbø - follow the 655 to Ørsta - continue on the E39 to the ferry from Festøy to Solavåg - from there the take the E39 until Spjelakvik (wave to me there:)) and follow E136 to Ålesund.

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/Hotell+Union+%C3%98ye+AS,+%C3%98ye,+6196+Norangsfjorden/S%C3%A6b%C3%B8/%C3%85lesund/@62.3773441,6.2813784,10z/data=!4m20!4m19!1m5!1m1!1s0x461691283bec0f31:0xd83ad051822b53de!2m2!1d6.659717!2d62.193091!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616eb6768153977:0xc119e22685d9378e!2m2!1d6.475031!2d62.2067985!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616da471047fb4b:0xe82562ee3bc08fea!2m2!1d6.149482!2d62.4722284!3e0

Ferry schedule Leksnes to Sæbø:

http://reise2.fjord1.no/Fjord1IISStaticTables/Tables/ruter/t/15-134.htm

translation to the schedule:

Leksneset Ferjekai (Leknes)

Sæbø ferjekai (Sæbø)

Frå (from)

Til (to)

Måndag-Fredag (Monday-Friday)

Laurdag (Saturday)

Søndag (Sunday)

The transfer time is 15 minutes.

Ferry schedule from Festøy to Solevåg:

http://reise2.fjord1.no/Fjord1IISStaticTables/Tables/ruter/t/15-183.htm

Transfer time is 20 minutes. There are 2 ferries operating this stretch. Its noted as "A" and "B" in the schedule.

All schedules run until April 30. There will be new schedules out then but the times are not expected to change much.

Thank you Lars for this suggestion. You make it so much easier for us!

Regards

Petra

Hi Anita, we will be in Alesund on June 24th on the Caribean Princess 8 to 5. I am not to worried about making it back on time. We will stick with Lars' suggestions! Have a great cruise.

Regards

Petra

Anita - I have looked up the Eclipse itineraries and it looks like the ship is in Geiranger, then Ålesund, then Olden.

Just a crazy crazy thought. As Geiranger is only a 6 hrs sailing from Ålesund the ship will be just outside Ålesund for the night making circles.:)

You could drive from Geiranger at 6 pm...take the ferry from Geiranger to Hellesylt. Drive to Øye and stay overnight at Union Hotel Øye then drive to Ålesund in the morning. If you leave Øye at 10 am you will be in Ålesund at Noon (ish) with lots of time to explore Ålesund.

If you are afraid to loose the ship in Ålesund due to the tour your next stop is Olden. A 4 hrs drive from Ålesund. (if you loose the ship I will drive you to the next port myself:eek::D:D)

Petra - your next port should be Bergen? also doable...but longer...

Lars:)

No problem.

The 2014 schedules is all we have to go by until the "activities" websites get updated.

Lars,

The reason I asked this question is that I have e-mailed the company at several different e-mail addresses (including the one that you provided). I haven't gotten any response at all. This appears to be a reputable company, but I'm wondering what you can tell me about it.

The excursion looks interesting. Do you think they'll be updating later so that I will be able to book it later? Otherwise, I might pick something else for this port.

Thanks for your help.

Oh, my, what a wonderful thread with a wealth of information. I just spent the last 2 hours scrolling through it! We just last week booked on the Disney Magic, sailing June 6. I discovered on this thread that that is its first Norwegian voyage. I can't access and book tours until March 8 and it is driving me crazy. I now know what I want to do in Alesund and Geiranger (which I had never heard of until last week). Thanks, I Cruiser, for all the great information.

Edited by PBJ63

Lars,

The reason I asked this question is that I have e-mailed the company at several different e-mail addresses (including the one that you provided). I haven't gotten any response at all. This appears to be a reputable company, but I'm wondering what you can tell me about it.

The excursion looks interesting. Do you think they'll be updating later so that I will be able to book it later? Otherwise, I might pick something else for this port.

Thanks for your help.

All I can say is that the tour companies should be updating their websites in the next months.

I have heard that many have difficulties getting answers from companies they are emailing. I am very sorry on their behalf. Ignoring customers request are not acceptable at all.

I will suggest you wait 1 or 2 months to see if the sites have been updated. Do send more emails.

This tour company also has a FB page. Maybe you stand a better chance contacting them there?

http://www.briksdaladventure.no/en/booking-2/

I am sorry I didn't have more info for you but hope this help a little.

Oh, my, what a wonderful thread with a wealth of information. I just spent the last 2 hours scrolling through it! We just last week booked on the Disney Magic, sailing June 6. I discovered on this thread that that is its first Norwegian voyage. I can't access and book tours until March 8 and it is driving me crazy. I now know what I want to do in Alesund and Geiranger (which I had never heard of until last week). Thanks, I Cruiser, for all the great information.

Thank you so much for the kind words. It sure makes it worth while that members appreciate this thread.

If you have any question to make your days in port more enjoyable please let me know.

Lars:)

This was from our cruise in June 2014. Putting up the video here of the drive from Alesund to Trollstigen. In case anybody is interested. Not difficult at all.

[YOUTUBE]6-jH-50ISTs[/YOUTUBE]

iluvcruising~ hello, DH and I enjoyed your video! Can you tell me how long this trip took you to do? We will be in Alesund from 10AM-7PM and we have considered renting a car and driving this but we are concerned about the timing.

Thanks,

Joan

Eide Auto has a bus service with the Atlantic rd.

The buses goes from Molde bus terminal (in the center of town) at track/gate 7.

The bus goes to the Atlantic road and you have to change bus for the return at a place called Kårvåg.

If you get the 10 am bus from Molde you arrive Kårvåg at 11:10 am. The return bus leaves at 12noon and you arrive Molde at 13:10.

The tickets costs NOK 150 pp return.

http://www.eideauto.no/ViewFile.aspx?ItemID=202

This is a regular bus service and not a tour/private tour.

If you want to be more flexible with your time and make stops long the Atlantic road I would suggest a private tour.

This will of course be more costly.

The bus service is a nice and easy way to visit the Atlantic Rd.

Hello, Just an fyi, we have rented a car in Molde to drive the Atlantic Rd, so this is an option as well. We do have to take a cab to the Molde Airport to pick up the car and back to the town but it seems to be a worthwhile adventure.

Hello, Just an fyi, we have rented a car in Molde to drive the Atlantic Rd, so this is an option as well. We do have to take a cab to the Molde Airport to pick up the car and back to the town but it seems to be a worthwhile adventure.

This is a very good option. You get more freedom to move.

The airport is only a 10 minute drive from downtown.

Did you ask if the rental company delivers the car at the port?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

iluvcruising~ hello, DH and I enjoyed your video! Can you tell me how long this trip took you to do? We will be in Alesund from 10AM-7PM and we have considered renting a car and driving this but we are concerned about the timing.

Thanks,

Joan

Thanks for watching. I put more info on my blog. See if useful.

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2014/07/adventure-of-seas-day-9-alesund-part-1.html?m=1

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Thanks. Will be going there in June.

Must have been exciting to drive there - was your car automatic?

Thanks

Yes, it was a wonderful driving experience, and not too difficult.

We emailed the car rental company directly to ensure that we got an auto car. We were upgraded to a BMW 520d touring. Awesome!

Thanks for watching. I put more info on my blog. See if useful.

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2014/07/adventure-of-seas-day-9-alesund-part-1.html?m=1

Thanks so much for sharing your blog..how fun was it that you got a BMW. We used to own one and they are fun cars to drive...except in the snow when we had to add a 100 pound steel weight to our trunk for traction each winter in snowy New Hampshire (US)!! Fabulous job giving details like you did, very helpful.

I wish we had time to do this tour. As I said, we are only in port from 10-7 and just don't think we should take the time as a self drive and the cruise ship excursion , which is very tight for time, is $229 US pp...ouch! So we lived it through your videos..awesome!

We have rental cars reserved in several ports and in Iceland for a week long road trip on our journey back to the states.

Thanks again!

Edited by pmjnh