bringing wine onboard

Has anyone ever brought on their allowable bottle of wine. Just wondering how closely the seal is inspected. Has anyone replaced the wine with alcohol and gotten away with it? Or caught? I have those sleeve and cap things that you stick under boiling water and it looks professionaly sealed. Just not sure about the screw part that separated. How closely do they look at the wine bottle? Can anyone tell me?

The answer may vary by cruise line, so you may want to post this in the section for the line you will sail.

It will also likely depend on the enthusiasm of the cruise line checker. Some will be more thorough in their inspection.

I did this on my last cruise with Carnival. Each person was allowed 1 wine bottle. We drank the wine a few days before. Filled one bottle with rum, one with vodka. Re-corked the bottles and put the original plastic sleeve top back on. Got through with no questions asked. Make sure the wine bottles are the dark colored glass tho

• 4 weeks later...
i did this on my last cruise with carnival. Each person was allowed 1 wine bottle. We drank the wine a few days before. Filled one bottle with rum, one with vodka. Re-corked the bottles and put the original plastic sleeve top back on. Got through with no questions asked. Make sure the wine bottles are the dark colored glass tho

lol!

I usually go to the dollar store buy a couple bottles of mouthwash, they have ones that aren't see thru. Fill them will rum or whatever we want. Once you get to an island and need to restock buy a bottle on the island as long as it's a plastic bottle with plastic cap, then stick in back of your pants under your shirt and when you walk thru security your fine cause there is no metal.

What are these wine sleeve things? Where do you get them? I have never even heard of them. I am curious about them now.

It's just that plastic cover on the top of the wine bottle. Instead of ripping it off I shimmied it off, uncorked the wine, drank the wine, filled the bottle with rum, recorked the bottle and put the plastic cover back on.

I usually go to the dollar store buy a couple bottles of mouthwash, they have ones that aren't see thru. Fill them will rum or whatever we want. Once you get to an island and need to restock buy a bottle on the island as long as it's a plastic bottle with plastic cap, then stick in back of your pants under your shirt and when you walk thru security your fine cause there is no metal.

Too funny! How do you guys come up with these ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

I cruised in May last year and we left from San Juan. We boarded and did check-in early and were able to get back off and walk to the nearby CVS. I had chosen to take my beachbag as my purse and placed both bottles inside. No one batted an eye when I put the bag through the machine despite the bottles clanging against each other.

• 2 weeks later...

Why don't you just start off with the plastic bottle and caps? Doesn't make sense having booze that tastes like mouthwash to start the cruise and then buy plastic bottles and caps later.