Embassy Suites - San Juan

cruiselife4me

Hi all,

We finally booked our pre and post cruise hotel, Embassy Suites in Isla Verde. They have a two bedroom, two bath suite and so we booked that since we are traveling with another couple. Has anyone stayed here and has anyone had this suite??

Thanks much,

Mary

I haven't stayed in a two bedroom suite but I have stayed in a one bedroom at this hotel at least 6 times. Nice rooms, beautiful pool, location in walking distance to several good restaurants and to the beach. Lobby has two restaurants. Good free buffet breakfast and nice free evening cocktail hour. I'll be there next Friday again.

We stayed at this hotel in February. Gorgeous! The waterfall at the pool is great. Unique layout. Breakfast was good. We did the typical ES room which is two rooms with a Bedroom and living space. I have rented the 2 bedroom in the past - they are just the same with an added bedroom. Nice space.

Just booked the 2 bedroom suite a couple of days ago. Glad to see such glowing reviews; it looks gorgeous. One question, did anyone go into Old San Juan or shopping anywhere? How did you get there? I appreciate any information on the what to do list

We always take a cab from the hotel to Old San Juan. If there's another way I don't know what it is. Cabs are plentiful right at the hotel door and trip each way to Old San Juan are $20. They charged us $24 to the Pan Am Pier because of the extra charge for luggage. In Old San Juan you can visit the forts, shop, visit the numerous churches, eat tappas, etc. Plenty to see and do there and absolutely worth seeing if you have never been there before. Just google for the San Juan web site to check things to do. Last time there we took the San Juan Food Tour which was a fabulous 3 hour walking tour with stops at various restaurants for samples of local foods and loads of commentary along the way. If you're interested it's http://www.sanjuanfoodtours.com

Cab sounds like the way to go, but I know I read somewhere that there is a bus. Might be worth a one time try. They said it took an hour, but it might be interesting to see what is along the route. Going thru residential areas and wherever it goes gives you a whole new perspective.

Also staying there in November with friends in the 2 bed/2 bath suite and looking forward to it - reviews are very good on tripadvisor.com

I also believe there is a bus close by that takes you into town - otherwise it is just a $20 cab ride into OSJ. Found this list of restaurants in the area if you don't want to travel too far:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurants-g2665727-Isla_Verde_Carolina_Puerto_Rico.html

...and coincidentally about to book the Flavors of San Juan food tour as well as we will be there 3 days precruise!! :D:D

I have stayed at the Embassy Suites and the Hampton Inn in Isla Verde. Both times we took the bus into Old San Juan. It does take about an hour on the bus. But we did find it interesting and since we had all day it was a nice savings. The bus costs 75 cents per person each way. When we were there last month we only had to wait 10 minutes for the bus into town, and only 5 minutes for the bus back to Isla Verde. That was fantastic, our timing was perfect. I have waited almost 45 minutes before. So if you are in a hurry or inpatient, the bus is not for you.

Thanks everyone. Froufie will you please post pics of the two bedroom, two bathroom suite? I'd appreciate it. I just contacted Embassy because I never received an email although I had (of course!) printed off the confirmation. They are resending. I had visions of showing up and hearing, "what room?" I mean ¿Qué cuarto? lol. Trying to learn spanish before our visit on my Duolingo app.

Have a great day everyone! Mary

Not back til mid-november - but would be happy to post pictures when I return - found this pic on the web - I see one bedroom to the 'left' and another 'straight ahead' - can't see where the bathrooms are located? (but I believe the 2 bed/2 bath suite is a 'combination' of 2 separate rooms where they 'open' up the adjoining door to make it one large suite!)

54367_195_z.jpg

Edited by Froufie

We always take a cab from the hotel to Old San Juan. If there's another way I don't know what it is. Cabs are plentiful right at the hotel door and trip each way to Old San Juan are $20. They charged us $24 to the Pan Am Pier because of the extra charge for luggage. In Old San Juan you can visit the forts, shop, visit the numerous churches, eat tappas, etc. Plenty to see and do there and absolutely worth seeing if you have never been there before. Just google for the San Juan web site to check things to do. Last time there we took the San Juan Food Tour which was a fabulous 3 hour walking tour with stops at various restaurants for samples of local foods and loads of commentary along the way. If you're interested it's http://www.sanjuanfoodtours.com

Thanks for the tip about the food tour, they seem to have great reviews. I am also at the Embassy Suites in October and am coming in two days before.

The food tour was the best money we ever spent on a tour. It was wonderful. We took the 3PM one and the food was more than enough to fill us up so that we didn't bother with dinner that night. They also do it at 10AM. Along the way our guide, Carmen, stopped to tell us about sights we passed. We saw things we had passed many times while in San Juan but didn't know about them. We went to 6 different places having everything from frozen ices to sandwiches to pina coladas. Since you're going two days early be sure to take this tour and be sure to reserve it early as it fills up.

• 2 weeks later...

Just love this hotel. We have been to San Juan 3 times for cruises and have always stayed there. Perfect location and just 2 blocks from the beach and plenty of restaurants. You cant go wrong with the managers cocktail reception and free breakfast.