New St George Hop On-Hop Off Bus

mitsugirly

Has anyone taken this bus yet and did you feel it's worth it?

We had planned on just getting off the ferry and walking to Tobacco Bay (and also originally maybe trying to head over to the glass beach) but it looks like this may be a better alternative and maybe get to see more things in the area.

Just $6.00pp for all day. Tell me your experiences if you have tried this already.

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20150511/BUSINESS03/150519996

I haven't taken it but, there is no way it is not worth it. A couple of years ago, a taxi cost us $8 for 2 each way to Tobacco Bay and fares have gone up since then. Now for a total of $12, we could go round trip to TB and anywhere else we decided we might want to go. It's a no brainer.

I do have to say that I'm a little worried about buying this "pass" which is really not a pass at all...it's a stamp on your hand. Won't it wash off when you are swimming? :confused:

I asked this on their new Facebook page and was told it would not wash off in the water but would with soap and water.

Go to the link and read it . Hope this helps. Link was in Pryor messages

I haven't taken it but, there is no way it is not worth it. A couple of years ago, a taxi cost us $8 for 2 each way to Tobacco Bay and fares have gone up since then. Now for a total of $12, we could go round trip to TB and anywhere else we decided we might want to go. It's a no brainer.

True, it looks like a great deal and I hope to be able to utilize it. Just wondering if there are any reports of using it yet and how things went...especially with the wait times and if they are pretty much running on time as stated (every 30 minutes).

I asked this on their new Facebook page and was told it would not wash off in the water but would with soap and water.

Go to the link and read it . Hope this helps. Link was in Pryor messages

I ended up doing the same thing and got the response:

It is a waterproof stamp. It will stay on all day.

:)

True, it looks like a great deal and I hope to be able to utilize it. Just wondering if there are any reports of using it yet and how things went...especially with the wait times and if they are pretty much running on time as stated (every 30 minutes).

I ended up doing the same thing and got the response:

It is a waterproof stamp. It will stay on all day.

:)

Sounds good to me. Maybe we will see some feedback before we try it.

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds good to me. Maybe we will see some feedback before we try it.

It will stay on in water but I put sunscreen and rubbed it off - I walked back to the ferry since it was a short walk downhill 15 minutes

http://tobaccobay.bm/beach-bus/

We are thinking of using it too.

Be aware of the ferry schedule - they don't run as often as the Hamilton line. Tobacco bay is stunning and the fish were plentiful near the rocks. The beach/sand portion is not huge so get there early for your spot if you want to lounge. It seems that you are going during the summer and it will probably get crowded more so than when I was there last week.

I was there on Thursday - first ferry 9:30 and then 11:30

I missed the 9:30 so I had to wait until 11:30 didn't get to the beach until 1pm or so.

Ferry ride is 40 minutes - then searching for the beach shuttle.

here is the link for the ferry schedule

http://www.seaexpress.bm/ferries_about.aspx

Enjoy and safe travels

Be aware of the ferry schedule - they don't run as often as the Hamilton line. Tobacco bay is stunning and the fish were plentiful near the rocks. The beach/sand portion is not huge so get there early for your spot if you want to lounge. It seems that you are going during the summer and it will probably get crowded more so than when I was there last week.

I was there on Thursday - first ferry 9:30 and then 11:30

I missed the 9:30 so I had to wait until 11:30 didn't get to the beach until 1pm or so.

Ferry ride is 40 minutes - then searching for the beach shuttle.

here is the link for the ferry schedule

http://www.seaexpress.bm/ferries_about.aspx

Enjoy and safe travels

Thanks. I have 2 options and 2 days. Round-trip ferry to St. George on either day or ferry to Hamilton and bus to St. George or a combination both options. We may not go to a beach in St. George because we only have 2 days. Somewhere in that time period I'd like to squeeze in Horseshoe Bay and Hamilton.

Edited by sauvichick

Thanks. I have 2 options and 2 days. Round-trip ferry to St. George on either day or ferry to Hamilton and bus to St. George or a combination both options. We may not go to a beach in St. George because we only have 2 days. Somewhere in that time period I'd like to squeeze in Horseshoe Bay and Hamilton.

I'm trying to figure out if we missed the 9:30 Ferry to St George and have to have a back up using the Blue Ferry route over to Hamilton and then take the bus to St George, which route goes to the ferry area and then on to St George? All the maps I have are too small to read or tell. I see buses going to St George listed as 1,3, 10, 11. But, I can't really tell if they go past the ferry area and also to the Kings area in St George?

Any help from anyone which bus you would catch?

:confused:

Edited by mitsugirly

I think I found my answer (all of them???) but it looks like the #10 and #11 bus is the "quickest" routes to St George (by about 10 minutes???)

Yes. #10 or #11. It takes about 50 minutes from Hamilton to St George. If you take the 10:30 ferry from Dockyard to Hamilton it arrives at 10:50. You walk to the Bus Terminal. Bus #10 or #11 leave at 11:15 and arrive approx. 12:05. After 9:45 until 11:45 the bus schedule states for #11 " then every 15 minutes in conjunction with Route 10." I'm not sure what that means. For bus info I used the following

http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_000070.htm

http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt?open=512&objID=959&mode=2&in_hi_userid=2&cached=true

I also noticed that the ferry heading over to Hamilton leaves much earlier in the morning and it would be possible to go that route as well and take the #10 or #11 bus to St George and still be able to arrive at Tobacco Bay 1 hour earlier than by waiting on the St George ferry. Hmmm

Also, after studying the ferry and bus schedules, I guess it's even possible to stay later in St George (since the last ferry there leaves at 5:30pm) and ride the bus back over to Hamilton and catch a later ferry back to the dockyard since it looks like they run pretty late.

Has anyone ever done this and how did it work out? :confused:

I think I found my answer (all of them???) but it looks like the #10 and #11 bus is the "quickest" routes to St George (by about 10 minutes???)

Don't focus on the 10 minute schedule difference between the #'s 1 & 3 vs the #'s 10 & 11. If you get to the bus terminal and there's a # 1 or 3 ready to leave but not a 10 or 11 just take the 1 or 3. You'll probably get to St. George's faster than if you waited for the 10 or 11.

I took the bus to Hamilton and then the ferry to Dockyard many years ago. It's fine as long as you don't mind the length of the trip.

Edited by njhorseman

Don't focus on the 10 minute schedule difference between the #'s 1 & 3 vs the #'s 10 & 11. If you get to the bus terminal and there's a # 1 or 3 ready to leave but not a 10 or 11 just take the 1 or 3. You'll probably get to St. George's faster than if you waited for the 10 or 11.

I took the bus to Hamilton and then the ferry to Dockyard many years ago. It's fine as long as you don't mind the length of the trip.

Good point horse. I did print off all 4 schedules so that once we arrive (if we go this route) we can determine the next available bus to get on. Hopefully it will work out good. :)

Good point horse. I did print off all 4 schedules so that once we arrive (if we go this route) we can determine the next available bus to get on. Hopefully it will work out good. :)

You should consider the times on the bus schedules to be a rough guide. Which bus actually leaves at what time may not coincide with the printed schedule.

Edited by Charles4515

Can anyone tell me how far the bus stop is from the ferry terminal? Is it far? How long does it take to get there? Directions?

Is this it?

(Head down Front to Queen to church??)

hamilton%20ferry%20to%20bus_zpsf4vmz5nq.jpg

Edited by mitsugirly

I also noticed that the ferry heading over to Hamilton leaves much earlier in the morning and it would be possible to go that route as well and take the #10 or #11 bus to St George and still be able to arrive at Tobacco Bay 1 hour earlier than by waiting on the St George ferry. Hmmm

Also, after studying the ferry and bus schedules, I guess it's even possible to stay later in St George (since the last ferry there leaves at 5:30pm) and ride the bus back over to Hamilton and catch a later ferry back to the dockyard since it looks like they run pretty late.

Has anyone ever done this and how did it work out? :confused:

I have taken the bus returning from St. George to Hamilton and I recall it as a long bus ride. I think I had to stand most of the way.

I have been on ships that docked at Hamilton, and we never took the bus from Hamilton when going to St. George. We took the ferry from Hamilton to the Dockyard, and transferred to the ferry to St. George. The ferry from the Dockyard to St. George is preferable in my opinion to taking a ferry to Hamilton, walking to the bus terminal which is a bunch of blocks away from the ferry terminal and not a flat walk, and catching a bus to St George.

I have taken the bus returning from St. George to Hamilton and I recall it as a long bus ride. I think I had to stand most of the way.

I have been on ships that docked at Hamilton, and we never took the bus from Hamilton when going to St. George. We took the ferry from Hamilton to the Dockyard, and transferred to the ferry to St. George. The ferry from the Dockyard to St. George is preferable in my opinion to taking a ferry to Hamilton, walking to the bus terminal which is a bunch of blocks away from the ferry terminal and not a flat walk, and catching a bus to St George.

Is the picture I posted above the right ferry dock and bus terminal? It doesn't seem too far of a walk if so. I'm just using this plan if the family decides they would like to get to St George earlier than the dockyard ferry can get us there and beat the crowds to spend more time there. OR if we really do want to stay longer than the last ferry from St George. OR happen to miss the last ferry. It's kinda a back up plan...sorta. Nothing is written in stone yet of course and it will all depend on how our day goes. :) I just like to be prepared in case it's needed. :p

As I was looking at the map for these ferry docks...I also came across something else with the St George ferry terminal that I might have wrong.

I know I have read the instructions on how to walk from the ferry terminal to Tobacco Bay and from what I have seen and read, I swore it said that you get off the ferry and you walk straight ahead to the Kings Square.

But now that I'm looking at an actual map, it looks like the place I have been thinking that's the ferry terminal is actually a cruise ship terminal.

Once I started searching for something that said ferry dock, it was a lot further away. :eek: I don't remember anything stating this or giving directions from the place I see on the map. :confused: It doesn't even look like a road where it's located. :p So where is this ferry terminal located?

st%20george%20ferry_zps73mu4fbl.jpg

Can anyone tell me how far the bus stop is from the ferry terminal? Is it far? How long does it take to get there? Directions?

Is this it?

(Head down Front to Queen to church??)

hamilton%20ferry%20to%20bus_zpsf4vmz5nq.jpg

You can head up Queen to Church. You will be going uphill on Queen. It's five or six blocks. It's a few minutes. I guess 5 to 8.

If for some reason you decide to return from St George by way of Hamilton you don't have to return to the terminal you can get off on Front Street at the end by the ferry terminal. Unfortunately you can't take that bus to the terminal, they won't pick up.

Is the picture I posted above the right ferry dock and bus terminal? It doesn't seem too far of a walk if so. I'm just using this plan if the family decides they would like to get to St George earlier than the dockyard ferry can get us there and beat the crowds to spend more time there. OR if we really do want to stay longer than the last ferry from St George. OR happen to miss the last ferry. It's kinda a back up plan...sorta. Nothing is written in stone yet of course and it will all depend on how our day goes. :) I just like to be prepared in case it's needed. :p

I think it would be nice if there were some crowds to beat for the businesses there but I would not say the masses of cruise ship passengers head over to St. George.

You can head up Queen to Church. You will be going uphill on Queen. It's five or six blocks. It's a few minutes. I guess 5 to 8.

If for some reason you decide to return from St George by way of Hamilton you don't have to return to the terminal you can get off on Front Street at the end by the ferry terminal. Unfortunately you can't take that bus to the terminal, they won't pick up.

Ok, noted...you can take the bus all the way on front street right to the ferry terminal there in Hamilton (coming from St George) but can not catch the bus letting people off there to circle around to the bus station and on to St George. (I think I have that correct with my understanding right?).

You are so much help and I truly appreciate it. I'm printing off my maps to take with me as I'm getting confirmation and making notes. :)

As I was looking at the map for these ferry docks...I also came across something else with the St George ferry terminal that I might have wrong.

I know I have read the instructions on how to walk from the ferry terminal to Tobacco Bay and from what I have seen and read, I swore it said that you get off the ferry and you walk straight ahead to the Kings Square.

But now that I'm looking at an actual map, it looks like the place I have been thinking that's the ferry terminal is actually a cruise ship terminal.

Once I started searching for something that said ferry dock, it was a lot further away. :eek: I don't remember anything stating this or giving directions from the place I see on the map. :confused: It doesn't even look like a road where it's located. :p So where is this ferry terminal located?

st%20george%20ferry_zps73mu4fbl.jpg

The ferry terminal is at Pennos Wharf. It used to be a cruise ship terminal. Docked there a bunch of times on Zenith and Pacific Princess. It's a short walk to the square. That map makes it look farther than it is. Don't worry, St George is small. You can't get very lost.

Edited by Charles4515