Baltimore hotels best for cruising

bjd2

Hello,

I'm unfamiliar with Baltimore and am looking for a hotel for pre and post cruise next April. I think we'd like to stay in the Inner Harbor area as we fly in and taxi or shuttle our way around.

The Renaissance has a great price and we've stayed at other R hotels and they were quite nice. The reviews on this one aren't that great but I take those with a grain of salt anyway.

The thing that I wonder, is on Trip Advisor, I don't see much mention in any hotel reviews from people who stayed pre or post cruise like when we book hotels at other port cities. Those reviews are full of cruiser reviews.

Any suggestions in the Inner Harbor area or is pretty much anything in that area going to be sufficient. We always stay 3.5* and above.

Thanks

Bobbie

The Renaissance is fine, but I prefer the Marriott Waterfront...it's stunning and worth the money.

The pier is NOT in/near inner harbor, rather about a 10 minute or so (about $15 ) cab ride away.

The Hotel Monaco is nice, as are any of the other brands....do NOT stay at the Best Western on O'Donnell.

Scroll around the boards and you'll find info. Many people stay by BWI but it's not exactly scenic, though it's not as yucky as the area around Newark NJ!

Try this too

http://www.cruise.maryland.gov/

Following...

Also, anyone with experiences with Best Western on Belle Grove?

Nice hotel, just remodeled. HORRIBLE shuttle. 2 hour wait (told 30 minutes) to go to the port. Hour and a half (told 20 minutes, as he was on his way) from the port back to the hotel. The driver claims he was there, yelling for us. Strange that a total of 6 of us were waiting (3 different couples) in 3 different areas and none of us saw or heard him.

Yikes, I may be cancelling my reservation. May I ask why NOT Best Western Plus on O'Donnell?

Search this thread.....or this board actually.

It's at a truck stop in a crappy area NO WHERE near the inner harbor.....people have stayed there and thought it was OK even though locals, and regulars to the area like me, have said to skip it.

Just trust us please.

Baltimore is a little different...not many park n cruise options...and unless you want to see the inner harbor you might be better off over by the airport, but again, be selective.

The Hyatt Place BWI has a park n cruise, but it needs to be booked direct....or via a wholesaler....Call that hotel and discuss with them..

The Country Inn used to have one as well.....also by BWI...And a couple places in White Marsh, about 20 minutes north, have this.

Really though, parking at the pier is only 15 bucks a day.....and it's safe.

Yikes, I may be cancelling my reservation. May I ask why NOT Best Western Plus on O'Donnell?

We always stay at O'Donnell st Best Western. Easy on and off from #95 coming from the north. Don't want to pay toll for tunnel, to and fro. Not much around there but has excellent service,

clean and friendly and buffet breakfast. Friends enjoyed the restaurant in hotel, mcdonalds in parking lot. We're staying there next March, already booked. You are going on a cruise the next day where there will be plenty of food. There is a free shuttle to the Inner Harbor with lots to do. Shuttle service to the port is the best going and coming. Thanks, Igor.

Evie

I poked around a little and can't find what I am looking for at the moment, and I don't have a lot of time today...

BUT, locals say to skip it, I once stopped at the travel plaza adjacent and didn't even bother to get out of the car...

Shuttle service may be a pain in the rear regardless of the hotel you select...though I think mitsugirly stayed at the BW Elkridge and had no issues....if you search for her, there's a review in her sig......

That's a decision you have to make for your convenience. You can stay at any hotel in any section in any town and have problems. I don't go exploring or jogging anywhere I am not familiar with. Everyone has different opinions as you can see on the boards re: cruise lines, ships, CDs, etc. Take care.

Evie

When we cruise out of Blatimore, we ALWAYS stay at the Best Western Plus in Elkridge. Great rooms, clean, great service, decent breakfast, great shuttle too and from the port. Cant go wrong.

The hotel is located across the street from a truck stop with a truckers hotel.The hotel property has a truck washing business and trucking business located on the property.

There is low income housing close by with police cameras mounted on the street . There is nothing close by.

You can do a goggle map search and check out the area for yourself.

So I'm driving from Erie, Pa (about a six hour drive), and would like to do a pre and post cruise stay, with transportation to the Inner Harbor area or maybe a taxi call, without worrying about getting JUMPED/Jacked in the meantime..!:eek: Really, it can't be all that bad..:p

Found what I thought to be a nice arrangement at the Sleep Inn downtown, but when emailing them direct, got absolutely NO reply.. (twice) :confused:

TA has suggested Home2Suites.. May just do that!:o

Hello,

I'm unfamiliar with Baltimore and am looking for a hotel for pre and post cruise next April. I think we'd like to stay in the Inner Harbor area as we fly in and taxi or shuttle our way around.

The Renaissance has a great price and we've stayed at other R hotels and they were quite nice. The reviews on this one aren't that great but I take those with a grain of salt anyway.

The thing that I wonder, is on Trip Advisor, I don't see much mention in any hotel reviews from people who stayed pre or post cruise like when we book hotels at other port cities. Those reviews are full of cruiser reviews.

Any suggestions in the Inner Harbor area or is pretty much anything in that area going to be sufficient. We always stay 3.5* and above.

Thanks

Bobbie

Back to the original question:

The Renaissance is fine. It doesn't have a lot of activity in the evening; the downstairs bar closes early and the upstairs bar and restaurant aren't real obvious. The Inner Harbor is undergoing transition, to be nice, and the area around the Renaissance is suffering through the change. Which probably creates the mixed reviews on Trip Advisor. I've not stayed at the Marriott Waterfront, but agree that it's a great location, closer to Harbor East, that's the up and coming area, and Fells Point. The Hotel Monaco is a very nice hotel, just a little further from the water and other things to do.

We've never cruised out of Baltimore. I do think from reading this board that many people cruising from Baltimore are either driving and looking for a place to park and cruise, or flying, and looking for a place to spend the night with a shuttle to and from the airport. The Inner Harbor area really doesn't "need" either group and therefore really doesn't cater to them. At least one cruise line, for instance, used to use the Sheraton Inner Harbor (even less convenient to things these days) as a pre-cruise hotel.

So, if you're looking for a cool hotel with a nice bar and a boutique feel, check out the Monaco. If you like the Renaissance vibe, it's a fine hotel, just a little less than other Renaissance Hotels I've stayed at, and if you want the option for a good view of the harbor, closer to where things seem to be moving these days, the Marriott Waterfront is fine. The other hotels being discussed in this thread are away from the Inner Harbor, and don't seem to fill your needs.

We have a 10 hour drive from Michigan toy he port. Were cruising in Feb. With all this talk and problems in Baltimore I'm starting to think maybe we should drive straight to the port and park.
My TA suggested 4 hotels that offer 'good rates' and the required commodities, being long-term parking - shuttle (some included some not) to the cruise-port and back.. All are away from the 'downtown' area..

Pricing is $110 - 135. per night with parking included for the duration of the stay!:) I'm thinking I will do that pre-cruise and then just drive 'half way back' post-cruise and stay in Pittsburgh for the night!:D

Do you remember the names of the hotels? Thanks

Best Western BWI, Doubletree or Hilton Garden (Linthicum), HI Express or Home2Suites ..

I did a lot of research, and booked Sleep Inn Inner Harbor.. Looks like its right off the Expressway, and within walking distance to Inner Harbor area..

They have a special Park/Cruise Rate when booking.. :)

The Hilton Garden Inn is over by the airport (Linthicum) and is in a decent, albeit boring, area..BUT there are a couple places to eat close by (either walkable, driveable, shuttle-able or taxi) I often stay at the Hyatt Place BWI which is, for all intents and purposes, next to the HGI.

If the Home2Suites is in the White Marsh/Phila Road area, it's basically BRAND new (like 1-2 years old) and is VERY nice..safe, with stuff located close by (quick drive, not really walkable)

Hope that helps

• 2 weeks later...
So I'm driving from Erie, Pa (about a six hour drive), and would like to do a pre and post cruise stay, with transportation to the Inner Harbor area or maybe a taxi call, without worrying about getting JUMPED/Jacked in the meantime..!:eek: Really, it can't be all that bad..:p

Found what I thought to be a nice arrangement at the Sleep Inn downtown, but when emailing them direct, got absolutely NO reply.. (twice) :confused:

TA has suggested Home2Suites.. May just do that!:o

Just called the Sleep Inn, they answered all my questions, and I reserved the stay and Park with them over the phone. Person on the phone was extremely helpful. They do charge $15 for parking the night you stay but its covered fro the rest of the trip with Shuttles going to the port at the top of every hour starting at 7:00AM.

Just called the Sleep Inn, they answered all my questions, and I reserved the stay and Park with them over the phone. Person on the phone was extremely helpful. They do charge $15 for parking the night you stay but its covered fro the rest of the trip with Shuttles going to the port at the top of every hour starting at 7:00AM.
Maybe I should have just 'called them', tho' in this day and age one would expect an answer back from their noted website/e-mail :o

I ended up booking directly thru their website for both a pre and post cruise stay for our sailing in November.. :) The hotel looks great, and is in the area I wanted..! Hopefully, it will all work out!:D

Maybe I should have just 'called them', tho' in this day and age one would expect an answer back from their noted website/e-mail :o

I ended up booking directly thru their website for both a pre and post cruise stay for our sailing in November.. :) The hotel looks great, and is in the area I wanted..! Hopefully, it will all work out!:D

We are sailing before you I will make sure to post a review when we get back...

Thanks.. I just talked to them 'live', and was told the $15.00 fee was the first nite only.. :) Mentioned that I had planned to stay one nite post-cruise as well, and was told that night would be $15.00 additional, as it was a separate booking (not under a Park/Cruise rate!:o I guess that is fair tho'..

Looking forward to your comments!!:D