clothing for Alaska

Cruising Nanny

We are leaving on a cruisetour on July 25, cruise on July 31. We live in Florida so are used to hot weather. What type of clothing do we need to bring with us other than light jackets, long pants, etc.? I don't want to get stuck up there with wrong clothing. THANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE!!!

The weather can vary and we got sun burned while cruising the inside passage as we were so mesmerized by the sights that we never went back to the cabin!

Coming from FL you may feel temp changes more than we do from CT. I would echo what others have said and tell you to count on layered clothing.

Both short and long sleeved tees, sweatshirts, windbreakers. Jeans, shorts and khaki style pants.

Sunscreen!

Have a great cruise!

Your weather will be luck of the draw. We checked the extended forecast and it was fairly accurate. On our cruise (June 12-19) the weather was in high 50's-70's. We actually needed more short sleeved clothing. I needed a jacket with hood on one of the sea days when the ship was traveling at a faster speed. I would have gloves, a scarf and hat for Hubbard Glacier. I will say that there was a lot of jackets and sweatshirts for a reasonable price in ports, especially Ketchikan. I suggest you bring a foldable duffel bag in your normal luggage. If there weather is too cold, purchase clothing in Alaska. We checked the duffel bag as a second checked bag for $35.00 on our flight home. We loaded it with our souveniers. I did think people dressed fancier for dinners than I had imagined. I did take a couple of dresses, plus two pair of nice slacks and different shirts. My one pair of dress shoes matched all my nicer clothing. My husband took a sports coat for formal nights. The other nights he work khakis and polos. I would make sure you have a couple of pair of good shoes for walking. We did a lot of walking.

I hope you have as good of a time as I did.

I agree that layers are the only way to go!

Our May 22nd cruise was warm, we definitely over packed the cold weather clothing....and we had taken most of it out of the suitcase before we left home!!

If staying on board, the ships temperature varies from cool to comfortable.

We definitely used more short sleeved shirts/tops during the day on the ship, while the evening I did want a light weight sweater or jacket.

Edited by Arizona Cruz Chic

As others have stated, light layers work best. You'll want to have a good breathable waterproof jacket. Fingers crossed for no rain, but with the amount of time with both the cruise portion and cruise tour, you are bound to have a few days of rain. Waterproof shoes are my other "critical" item. I bought a pair of Teva waterproof hiking shoes on Sierra Trading for our first trip and love them. I want to say they were under $50.

My personal list includes many long sleeve T-shirts as my base (just regular cotton), a lightweight fleece, a heavier soft-shell to go over the fleece...and then my rain jacket that can be worn over just the fleece or over all of it is it's cold (mostly on Glacier viewing days when it's really cold out on deck). My fleece and rain jacket can be folded up very small and stashed in my back pack to make it easy to shed or add layers as needed during excursions. Rarely did I need my soft shell jacket which was much heavier.

It really is a difficult trip to pack for as it can be hot inland, nice in the coastal towns and downright cold other days.

We are heading to Norway this summer and I'm anticipating a very similar packing job.

We never go to Alaska w/o knit hats and mittens. Also a knit scarf for me. While we've gone in May or August/September, it can be really old in Skagway with their wind tunnel.

Depending on your ship, it can be cold in the hallways. On both Vision class ships, they seemed to have a wind tunnel all the way from midship to aft.

As others have said, the ships stores sell jackets. And on two trips we've bought extra jackets.

Fairbanks was warm, but Denali was cold.

Bring your longest camera lenses.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

We are leaving on a cruisetour on July 25, cruise on July 31. We live in Florida so are used to hot weather. What type of clothing do we need to bring with us other than light jackets, long pants, etc.? I don't want to get stuck up there with wrong clothing. THANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE!!!

LAYERS LAYERS LAYERS. Don't forget to pack a swimsuit ;)

I guess you can still bring layers. I am leaving this weekend but I am not packing a bunch of layers, only a little of them. The weather right now is really warm, forecasted to be in the mid to high 70s, so I am going to back mainly summer clothes, shorts, sleeveless, really light clothes. I will bring a rainproof windbreaker in case it rains and a very light cardigan but that is all. The rest is going to be summer clothes. No reason to bring winter clothes when the temps are in the 70s.

Remember the swimsuit. It will be plenty hot to swim when on be ship.

The reason you pack LAYERS for Alaska is because the weather isn't predictable. Better safe than sorry. You don't want to be shivering, cold and wet with no access to your room for a few hours !! With layers you're prepared for any weather. And bring a small daypack to store your layers in case the weather changes during the day. The pack is also a handy place for your wallet, sunglasses, camera, snacks, maps, tickets, etc

Even checking the weather the day before I leave has provided some surprises.

I've been in June July and Aug and pretty much pack the same every time:

next to your skin ... pack a tshirt or blouse/short for each day

middle layer --- 2 sweatshirts or fleece pullovers.

top layer ... hooded waterproof jacket.

I pack jeans, a pr of khakis, pr of shorts. I wear my sneakers because they're too bulky to pack, then bring a pr of walking shoes and pr of flipflops.

If your trip includes glacier viewing or a small boat trip, bring gloves and a hat or scarf/headband. Also, consider your excursions ...for fishing or long hikes, you might want to bring rain pants or sturdy hiking shoes/boots

I check the forecast for each location the day before I leave and might make an adjustment .... if the first few days look sunny and warm I'll pack some extra shorts and change out a long sleeve t for short sleeve, but the layers remain. You don't want to arrive in Ketchikan to an early morning excursion and wet windy day but no appropriate clothing and no time to shop.

Type the word "clothing" or "packing" in SEARCH THIS FORUM to find many past threads on this subject. Also, read thru some trip reports STICKY above and you'll find some suggested packing lists.

The reason you pack LAYERS for Alaska is because the weather isn't predictable. Better safe than sorry. You don't want to be shivering, cold and wet with no access to your room for a few hours !! With layers you're prepared for any weather. And bring a small daypack to store your layers in case the weather changes during the day. The pack is also a handy place for your wallet, sunglasses, camera, snacks, maps, tickets, etc

Even checking the weather the day before I leave has provided some surprises.

I've been in June July and Aug and pretty much pack the same every time:

next to your skin ... pack a tshirt or blouse/short for each day

middle layer --- 2 sweatshirts or fleece pullovers.

top layer ... hooded waterproof jacket.

I pack jeans, a pr of khakis, pr of shorts. I wear my sneakers because they're too bulky to pack, then bring a pr of walking shoes and pr of flipflops.

If your trip includes glacier viewing or a small boat trip, bring gloves and a hat or scarf/headband. Also, consider your excursions ...for fishing or long hikes, you might want to bring rain pants or sturdy hiking shoes/boots

I check the forecast for each location the day before I leave and might make an adjustment .... if the first few days look sunny and warm I'll pack some extra shorts and change out a long sleeve t for short sleeve, but the layers remain. You don't want to arrive in Ketchikan to an early morning excursion and wet windy day but no appropriate clothing and no time to shop.

Type the word "clothing" or "packing" in SEARCH THIS FORUM to find many past threads on this subject. Also, read thru some trip reports STICKY above and you'll find some suggested packing lists.

Depends on when you go. I am planning on wearing jeans and a short sleeve or sleeveless shirt most days of the weather stays as it is. Will keep a waterproof windbreaker in a backpack when going ashore. But other than that, I don't think there needs to be any more layers. It also depends on how could someone gets. I personally get warm very easily so being out in summer clothes in the 50s is nothing.

Depends on when you go. I am planning on wearing jeans and a short sleeve or sleeveless shirt most days of the weather stays as it is. Will keep a waterproof windbreaker in a backpack when going ashore. But other than that, I don't think there needs to be any more layers. It also depends on how could someone gets. I personally get warm very easily so being out in summer clothes in the 50s is nothing.

I've been to Alaska in June, July and Aug, so my packing list is based on experience. My trips have been by sea, tent camping and RV.

As I said, I've checked forecasts the day before leaving and have been unpleasantly surprised when 2 days later it was raining and cold.

I'd rather pack those 2 sweatshirts and be prepared, rather than be cold and miserable. If I don't use them, great, since it wasn't a hardship to bring them along. But if I need them I'll be so happy to dig them out of my pack.

Maybe you've been luckier with weather in your Alaska visits.

Hope you have great weather and a great trip!

Edited by mapleleaves

I've been to Alaska in June, July and Aug, so my packing list is based on experience. My trips have been by sea, tent camping and RV.

As I said, I've checked forecasts the day before leaving and have been unpleasantly surprised when 2 days later it was raining and cold.

I'd rather pack those 2 sweatshirts and be prepared, rather than be cold and miserable. If I don't use them, great, since it wasn't a hardship to bring them along. But if I need them I'll be so happy to dig them out of my pack.

Maybe you've been luckier with weather in your Alaska visits.

Hope you have great weather and a great trip!

I agree with this. It can be very cool especially on glacier viewing days and I would much rather be prepared.

Husband and I just returned from 2 weeks land and cruise in Alaska. We were fortunate to have warm and sunny weather, and we wore mostly shorts, jeans, T shirts and a light sweatshirt. However we did need a fleece, rain jacket, hat and gloves on a couple of occasions on the water. My advice is be prepared for all kinds of weather. But don't overpack. The outside layers can be used repeatedly. We each took one 24" suitcase and had plenty of space for outerwear, mid-layers, and jeans, shorts, long and short sleeve Ts and shoes and flip flops. We also broughtt a couple of nice outfits for the cruise. Don't forget a backpack!

Husband and I just returned from 2 weeks land and cruise in Alaska. We were fortunate to have warm and sunny weather, and we wore mostly shorts, jeans, T shirts and a light sweatshirt. However we did need a fleece, rain jacket, hat and gloves on a couple of occasions on the water. My advice is be prepared for all kinds of weather. But don't overpack. The outside layers can be used repeatedly. We each took one 24" suitcase and had plenty of space for outerwear, mid-layers, and jeans, shorts, long and short sleeve Ts and shoes and flip flops. We also broughtt a couple of nice outfits for the cruise. Don't forget a backpack!

Wow that is too bad about the warm weather. Keeping my fingers crossed that the weather gets better and gets colder. Will be a disappointment is it is warm when I go. That's part of the reason one going is the cooler weather.

Well, I suppose you can just wrap yourself in several deck blankets while you are in Tracy Arm, like so many other people who come unprepared for the cold. Please return and post photos. :p

Well, I suppose you can just wrap yourself in several deck blankets while you are in Tracy Arm, like so many other people who come unprepared for the cold. Please return and post photos. :p

Won't need to because if one was to check the forecast it is showing that it is going to be warm, in the high70s. Even if it were in the 40s, I would still wear the same thing as I the 70s as I personally have a high tolerance for cold weather. If it even does get cool. And I will be brining a windbreaker with a fleece zip in for the Tracy arm boat excursion I am doing. I doubt that I will use it but I am brining it. I was simply stating that most of the time wi be in shorts and summer clothes with exception to it maybe being a few degrees cooler in Tracy arm. I doubt that it will get below 40 and that is about the temp when j will start to add a layer.

Yes!!!

Won't need to because if one was to check the forecast it is showing that it is going to be warm, in the high70s. Even if it were in the 40s, I would still wear the same thing as I the 70s as I personally have a high tolerance for cold weather. If it even does get cool. And I will be brining a windbreaker with a fleece zip in for the Tracy arm boat excursion I am doing. I doubt that I will use it but I am brining it. I was simply stating that most of the time wi be in shorts and summer clothes with exception to it maybe being a few degrees cooler in Tracy arm. I doubt that it will get below 40 and that is about the temp when j will start to add a layer.

Okay, if you say so. Good luck with that.

My son did wear shorts and t-shirt in Tracy Arm, but he's super weird and wears that all the time, even in snow. The vast majority (99.9%) would never consider it and people thought he was crazy.

Okay, if you say so. Good luck with that.

My son did wear shorts and t-shirt in Tracy Arm, but he's super weird and wears that all the time, even in snow. The vast majority (99.9%) would never consider it and people thought he was crazy.

Haha it's not weird at all. Different people have different reactions to different temperatures. Some people get cold easily and wear sweaters in 70s, which I don't get. Others, such as myself, get warm vey easily and wear shirts and short sleeves in the 40s. I have also worn them in the snow in Colorado in the 20s. All depends on what you are used to and what your tolerance is. I am personally bringing one sweater, which I don't plan to wear but I will have it, for a boat excursion in Tracy arm. If the temps stay in the 70s or even drop down into the 60s I will have no use for it. However, if the temperature drastically changes to the 40s then I would have it to wear. Planning for hot summer weather as that is what it is right now. All depends on the person.

I guess I think it is weird too, having been to Alaska and knowing how unpredictable the weather is. I am one of those people who freeze in 50 degree weather, but have also seen people on vacation from Michigan at Disney World swimming in the same type weather conditions. It is your vacation, I hope you have a wonderful time.